Pebbled leather over the years

Aug 13, 2014
After sorting thru my handbag collection it's become very clear to me that the term pebbled leather is so very generic that we really don't know much about a specific style done in pebbled leather until we see it in person. AWL, Fairfield collection, DillenI, DillenII, current Dillen, Portofino, Samba, prior pebbled leather like the Elisa, and current pebbled leather are but a few of the handbags that have 'pebbled leather'. But I've noticed there are really big differences. The AWL, Dillen II, Portofino, and Samba are all thick leathers. The current pebbled leather is much thinner than those and also much thinner than prior generic Dooney pebbled leather collections.

I wonder how the current pebbled leather will hold up over time?

Reactions: HannaS1001
After sorting thru my handbag collection it's become very clear to me that the term pebbled leather is so very generic that we really don't know much about a specific style done in pebbled leather until we see it in person. AWL, Fairfield collection, DillenI, DillenII, current Dillen, Portofino, Samba, prior pebbled leather like the Elisa, and current pebbled leather are but a few of the handbags that have 'pebbled leather'. But I've noticed there are really big differences. The AWL, Dillen II, Portofino, and Samba are all thick leathers. The current pebbled leather is much thinner than those and also much thinner than prior generic Dooney pebbled leather collections.

I wonder how the current pebbled leather will hold up over time?

Yikes! Scared of that! Dooney's effort to cut costs?

I would (at least like to) think that the bags would still be durable, but since you point it out the thinner leather will probably wear much faster :sad:

GG: don't know the answer. Certainly corners of handbags are more vulnerable and thinner leather will be more fragile in those places. I guess reinforced corners and bottoms might alleviate the problem.

A lot of handbag designers are using lighter, thinner leathers lately...probably due to complaints about heavy handbags as well as a cost-cutting measure. I have found this with Coach, Kate Spade, Rebecca Minkoff, etc. I don't worry about how they will wear.

My two Pebble Grain Satchels from a year ago are still looking perfect. I've carried the camel one quite a bit, the red not so much. They appear to be the same weight of leather as the Zip Zip I picked up today.

Thinner leather does equal lighter weight which is great for me.

I love your input on this, LJ! I can only imagine how many variations of leathers you have in your collection!!

Sue

A lot of handbag designers are using lighter, thinner leathers lately...probably due to complaints about heavy handbags as well as a cost-cutting measure. I have found this with Coach, Kate Spade, Rebecca Minkoff, etc. I don't worry about how they will wear.

With as fickle as I am about my handbags, I don't either! :roflmfao:

Sue

You jogged my memory, the 'pebble grain' collection came out during 12 days of Dooney in 2012 with Nina, Fredrica, Juliette hobo, and classic satchel (speedy looking bag). I remember this because i bought two pebble grain bags. it was the first time we discussed pebble grain on the q boards, we all were wondering how it was more like calf or more like AWL. Something about drum dyed was discussed...don't recall the full details but colors are dyed but still scratch off over time (vs. Florentine have the opposite effect which absorb colors off your clothing or pick up patina when drenched.

Pebbled leather on the other hand can be referred to Fairfield, Calf, Italian pebbled leather, dillen ii, portifino, etc.

This is interesting LJ. I had no idea there have been so many variations of pebbled leather. I wonder if the new pebbled leather Chelsea is thinner than the Dillen Chelsea? I don't mind the thinner lighter leather because I love a lighter weight handbag. I have way too many bags to wear any of them out I think. I don't typically carry one for more than a day or two. I thought it was a bad thing because I have too many bags, but maybe it's a good thing because I'll never wear any of them out and they'll always look new. Lol!

I think there are pros and cons to each type of leather. In my experience, 'pebbled leather' is the most user friendly of all the leathers. It's what I reach for in bad weather or when I know my handbag will get a real workout. As long as the corners and other stress points are protected (like with corner caps or trim of another type of leather (as on the zip zips), then I think the lighter weight/thinner leather won't be a problem.

I've seen the color wear off on the corners of some of my original Dillen satchels. The leather is thick and fine, but the corners have lost their color. So, I don't know which handbags, in which colors, are really drum dyed. They used to make a big deal about that but recently I've heard it only when the new pebbled leather was presented. If the corners were protected, this wouldn't have been a problem.

I like the thinner leather as it makes the bag lighter and more supple. I am not a fan of hard, structured bags. That said, I must admit that I have so many bags in rotation, I don't really have to worry about wearing one out!:cray:

I've seen the color wear off on the corners of some of my original Dillen satchels. The leather is thick and fine, but the corners have lost their color. So, I don't know which handbags, in which colors, are really drum dyed. They used to make a big deal about that but recently I've heard it only when the new pebbled leather was presented. If the corners were protected, this wouldn't have been a problem.

This was happening on my Dillen Zipper Sac hobo. I got it a couple years ago. I don't have it anymore though. I have seen other Dooney's including the logo lock back with this issue on ebay. I'm a little worried about my logo locks and my Pebbled Leather Dome Buckle Satchel.