Paypal Security Breach Alert!!!!!

Just ordered mine too!! Thanks sooooo much for this tip. I had no idea such a thing existed and it will definitely give me more peace of mind. My ebay account was hacked a few months ago and since this works on both ebay and paypal, I'm so happy. Thanks again!

you are so welcome! :smile: I am glad i could pass along the suggestion! it really makes me feel a lot better too , because you have to have the key

once i forgot it at home and i couldnt get into my ebay or paypal for the life of me, the only way you can is if they have your phone # and they call you (sadly the # registered for me is an old disconnected # so i just plain couldnt get into it, but im sure i could change the phone # i just havent bothered)

but either way then they call you and give you a one time use code to get in just one time, but thats the only way without the key and then the hacker would have to have your phone haha :smile:

So really i think its a great idea and for $5 and it works with both! cant go wrong :smile:

yay i am so glad you both got them :smile: makes me happy because since i got it i really do feel safer then before when i felt i could just be hacked easily!

The key thing really annoys me - I mean, it is a good idea, but if Paypal was as great as it claims to be it wouldn't be necessary. You shouldn't have to pay extra for adequate security. People seem to be getting more and more PO'd with Paypal and I'm expecting/hoping to see it fold or make major changes to handle all those complaints.

I think these hackers are backed by proffesional criminals , I think they would find away around the key if they wanted too.

Its just so scarey
I am so sorry this has happened to you , and am very glad you had the savvy to go and do what you did
some people might not have done and would of lost all that money

I seem to be reading more and more about people who are/have lost so much money through E bay I think this will effect sales.

I checked back on one auction I felt suspicious about and found the seller had 3 negatives where poor people had paid over 10000$ each for items that never arrived

my heart sunk for them

Paypal is not safe , there staff do not have the experience and training that bank proffesionals would have

The key thing really annoys me - I mean, it is a good idea, but if Paypal was as great as it claims to be it wouldn't be necessary. You shouldn't have to pay extra for adequate security. People seem to be getting more and more PO'd with Paypal and I'm expecting/hoping to see it fold or make major changes to handle all those complaints.

I agree.. it's a nice idea but if they were truly concerned about security, they would provide it for free to everyone who wanted it. Instead, this just reminds me that I NEED another level of security because paypal is clearly not doing their job and the proof is in the need for this device.

if you go to that place in paypal it has like an overview of the security key so you can learn more about it

here is what it says:

PayPal Security Key

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

Add an extra level of security when you log in with the PayPal Security Key.
We protect your account with one of the highest levels of online security available. Now you can add even more protection with the PayPal Security Key.
Already have a key?

Or to activate your PayPal Security Key with your eBay account.
spot_ebaylogoseckey.gif

How does it work?
  1. order and activate your PayPal Security Key.
  2. Log in to your account.
  3. When prompted, enter the code on your Security Key.
Keep one step ahead.
I just purchased it and can't wait for it to arrive!:yahoo:
I'm so grateful you were available (and kind) to help!

I know it is only $5, but with all the increases in Ebay and Paypal fees, I just see this as another marketing gimmick
. Shouldn't Paypal give this to you FREE because they want to keep their site as SECURE as possible?

Needless to say, Google Checkout all the way for me----and no fees until 2008 too! :yes:

If you use the key with ebay, you can't use a sniper with the associated ebay ID.

Do you know how your PP account got compromised? DH had his PP credit card compromised. We shut it down.

If you use the key with ebay, you can't use a sniper with the associated ebay ID.

Do you know how your PP account got compromised? DH had his PP credit card compromised. We shut it down.

Until this breach my system was supposedly protected by Norton SystemWorks and Internet Security which continuously monitored security. I ran a twice-weekly virus scans and kept my virus definitions current.

My favorite geek explained it this way: that the thieves targeted only our checking account reveals they were unable to access anything other than my PP password. Once they gained entrance they proceeded to act in my capacity as account holder. That my credit card accounts were left untouched indicates the thief/thieves were unable to ascertain any information other than that made available to the rightful owner. (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-0123)

My geek urged me to replace Norton with Spyware Doctor with Anti Virus. The scan detected the presence of FOUR trojan horses (malicious-ware that collects passwords), as well as 58 other threats ranging from low to high risk on my computer.

Deductive reasoning led him to conclude that at least one of the trojans collecting my personal data contained a key-stroke logger and that all were most likely acquired via email attachments, and/or seemingly innocent links.

My computer is clean and I've put family and friends on notice that I will not, under any circumstances, open third-party email attachments. As a further precaution I'm going to bypass links to sites that could pose a security risk, ie: any and all sites lacking security certificates.

I'm still asking myself how Norton failed. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

I hope this information has proved useful in some way.

Thanks for posting all this info. I definitely feel that this is an important thread for ANYONE who buys/sells online to read!

Theft/fraud is the WORST! I had my paypal balance hijacked twice by the same group for the same amount (actually less than the total bablance) to pay for the same exact item w/in a week!

I do have an eBay ONLY checking account that has NOTHING to do w/ my joint checking w/ DH that ACTUALLY has my REAL money in it!

There's a good article posted here about the type of security breach you experienced. The writer calls it Pick Pocket theft in talking about how a lot of resources go into protecting big systems when it's the little guy getting robbed.
http://www.veracode.com/blog/?p=32

I've wavered on getting the paypal key since they flashed us the announcement on the paypal site a few weeks ago. I'm afraid of misplacing it or being somewhere without it and needing account access. Note that the writer above was talking about using authentication tokens (ie the paypal key) back in 1999.

For internet security it's worth reading reviews and checking metrics every few months. With security threats being so pervasive (one security article gave the stat that your computer will be attacked within 60 secs of going online) its important to periodically check in on who's staying on top in security products.

Norton's been slipping for some time when tested by independent security labs against other available products. I like to pick the best of field products as opposed to a suite so I use Kaspersky for antivirus and Zonelab for firewall. Bitdefender, Kaspersky and Nod32 bounce around in the top 3 for antivirus. It costs a little bit more to buy separate products rather than a suite but I google for coupons and often get a good deal.

For current comprehensive anti-virus reviews and comparisons I go here:
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

For firewall:
http://personal-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/