Paypal puts a hold funds and says "ship"??

Apr 29, 2008
My mom just started selling on ebay a few months ago. She just sold a Missoni scarf for $80 and received a prompt payment. But when she went to check her paypal account, she received a message they they are putting a hold on those funds until she ships the item and gets positive feedback. I've been selling on ebay/using paypal for years and have never heard of this. Anyone?

They did that with me too. I have 50 transactions and 100% rating and they put a hold on ALL of my auctions that go over $100 until I ship them. It's their policy if you haven't had at least 101 transactions. It's not right and very one-sided because the seller could lose everything. Do a google search and there are all kinds of articles relating to it.

I don't know about the $80...though...

I wonder why this didn't occur for her first few transactions which were also of a high value. It's a terrible policy. I guess you have to do signature confirmation with EVERYTHING to verify that the items are shipped. How long did it take them to release your funds?

I believe they'll release it either after 21 days OR when the buyer leaves positive feedback. Unfortunately this has been happening to more and more sellers. It's confusing for everyone.

Thank you for contacting PayPal with your concerns.

Hello xxx, I hope all is well with you. My name is Rochelle and I
understand that the payment from your buyer is still on hold. I would
like to apologize for the frustration and the inconvenience this issue
has caused you. I am more than happy to assist you with your concern the
best possible way I can.
With regard to your concern and upon checking your account, it shows
that the payment from xxx on the 30th of September
amounting to $604.99 USD is still on hold. For security reasons, PayPal
may delay the release of a payment to the seller. eBay and PayPal are
working together to make the marketplace safer for buyers and sellers by
helping to ensure successful transactions which, in turn, can mean more
sales for you.
To determine if a transaction may have a higher risk of dissatisfied
buyers, we may hold payments that seem risky. Common reasons for holding
payments include but are not limited to:
· An eBay member for less than 6 months, and selling an item for
more than $100, or
· Have an eBay feedback score of less than 100, and sell an item
for more than $100, or
· Have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage** 5% or greater than 5%,
or
· Have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of less than 4.5, or
· Have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last
12 months, or
· The item is listed in a high-risk category such as gift
certificates, video games, cell phones, computers or consumer
electronics.
PayPal may release the funds earlier when one of the following occurs:
· 3 calendar days pass after proof of delivery.
· The buyer leaves positive feedback after receiving the item.
· 21 days without a dispute, claim, chargeback or reversal filed on
that transaction.
For US domestic shipments, the eBay hold is removed 3 days after proof
of delivery is received. (Carriers - USPS, UPS, or FedEx)
Once the payment is completed successfully, the status in My eBay or
Selling Manager will change to "Paid."
I appreciate the opportunity to assist you today. If in case you feel
that this is inadequate, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer
Support Representatives at 1-888-221-1161 and we will be delighted to
further assist you regarding your concern.

Sincerely,
Rochelle
Consumer Support
PayPal, an eBay Company

It has happened to me...I sold $193 of my old clothes to one person (it was like 7-8 auctions) and they held her payment for like four of five days. Once she left me glowing feedback it was released. It's a pain to wait but it hasn't proved to be a problem! :smile:

just add tracking number into PPal for that transaction. PPal will release the funds 3 days after confirmed delivery from your courrier (not necessary to have signature). You don't have to wait for positive feedback. Once I called PPal 2 days after UPS showed item delivered and the customer rep released it for me, even though she said usually it's automatically released 3 days after confirmed delivery, but it was going to be the weekend and I didn't want to wait.

I accidently managed to get round the funds holding problem. If you issue a partial refund, of even £1.00 which I stated was for an overpayment of postage, I realised that it changed the status of the transaction to complete. and relaeased the funds. i was able to withdraw them immediately.

I am a 100% rated seller and buyer, so I hope that people do not use this to try and cheat the system, or get out of sending goods, but just thought id share this wee pearl of wisdom nonetheless.

I accidently managed to get round the funds holding problem. If you issue a partial refund, of even £1.00 which I stated was for an overpayment of postage, I realised that it changed the status of the transaction to complete. and relaeased the funds. i was able to withdraw them immediately.

I am a 100% rated seller and buyer, so I hope that people do not use this to try and cheat the system, or get out of sending goods, but just thought id share this wee pearl of wisdom nonetheless.

Oh my goodness, I did not realize that! I just made a large purchase, and the seller (a newbie) agreed to do a partial refund. DOes this mean that I am not going to be protected? I did pay via my credit card, so I guess I could always use that as protection if paypal wouldn't back me up?

I had no idea that the partial refund removed the hold on the funds. Now I am soooo worried! I guess in some ways I shouldn't be, since there was never this hold thing a few months ago, and I never worried then.:Push:

This has just happened to me. Sent an item international with tracking, she has received it but is saying condition not as in description, saying it is battered over used. sorry but the bag is not battered, I explained she new she was buying a used bag and what was in the description. I offered for her to return or I would give a small refund if she would like to keep it. I am stuffed if I don't get good feedback from her:tdown: What happens if I give her a small refund? And then I get bad feedback?
She has emailed me to say she is thinking about it, but has increased the amount? Plus the email was from her on another ebay user name, so I am now wondering if she is trying to pull a fast one:confused1:
What do you ladies think?:heart:

I just found this out by accident! I did just that and issued a partial shipping refund for two payments and they were immediately released. Nice way around it, though I wouldn't do it on purpose.

I've had a problem getting my payments released, even after positive feedback is left, Paypal is waiting for shipment confirmation and then releases 3-4 days after. I emailed a really pissy note to Paypal and got a canned response, but was recommended to call them because she did admit my payments were being held longer than their policy. Now after my angry note, I noticed they've let a couple sneak through without being held, but just held one from this morning.

I hate their new policy, I'm being forced to pay for shipping costs, and ebay fees all without the funds for items I own and sold. I can't wait until the day Paypal has deemed me responsible enough to handle my own payments. :tup:

Hi, I registered just to post in this thread about my dissatisfaction with paypal.

I've been a VERIFIED member for over 4 years no problems. I recently canceled my bank account information so then I was unverified, I sold an item on ebay for $160, and they held the payment. I was forced to come up with the fees AND shipping costs, while paypal took THEIR fees the second I got the payment. I provided the tracking information AND the buyer left me positive feedback and STILL the funds are being held (for up to 21 days?!)

Can somebody tell me FOR SURE if I refund something like $1.00, the rest of the payment will be released instantly?