PayPal Holding payment due to investigation!?

barbie444

O.G.
Nov 1, 2009
Hi Everyone,
So I sold one of my Chanel Bags via Paypal. I sent an invoice for the the total value and the buyer asked for a few days to pay which I agreed. I finally got the payment, but it was split into 4 payments and the invoice appeared canceled. I didn't think to much of it, but earlier today I logged in to get the address and it shows a zero balance and Paypal has opened 4 cases investigating the funds and holding them. I will call paypal in the morning, but has this ever happened to anyone?

Agree with NSP. Do not, under any circumstances, accept multiple payments for one item otherwise you lose what little protection you have as a seller.

Sounds like the buyer took your email address from the invoice you sent and has then paid 4 amounts, likely using different cards. Little wonder PP found it suspicious and held the funds for investigation.

If they release the funds back to you (rather than returning them to the buyer themselves) then refund all the monies back to the buyer and ONLY accept one payment for the item. If the buyer can't do this (due to insufficient credit limits on cards perhaps) then sell the item to someone else as it's not worth the risk for a high value item to lose your seller protection.

Agree with NSP. Do not, under any circumstances, accept multiple payments for one item otherwise you lose what little protection you have as a seller.

Sounds like the buyer took your email address from the invoice you sent and has then paid 4 amounts, likely using different cards. Little wonder PP found it suspicious and held the funds for investigation.

If they release the funds back to you (rather than returning them to the buyer themselves) then refund all the monies back to the buyer and ONLY accept one payment for the item. If the buyer can't do this (due to insufficient credit limits on cards perhaps) then sell the item to someone else as it's not worth the risk for a high value item to lose your seller protection.

She can also just call PP and tell them she was not aware of the policy and have them reverse the charge back to the customer, who obviously does not have the money to pay.

Refund all the payments. You must accept one payment for the item. Do not ship! You will not be covered by seller protection.

+1.. and if your buyer wants to split the payments into 2, that too is not acceptable..

If your buyer really wants the bag, she will figure it out, IYKWIM..

What kind of feedback does she have?? Does it look like she has purchased

high end designer items??

Glad we were able to help. She could probably borrow from Peter to pay Paul and transfer balances amongst her cards so that she has enough credit on one card but that would take quite a few days to get posted to her account. She should wait until she can pay for it or she should use Bill me Later.

She has 100% feedback and has been a member since 2008. I checked her feedback and her last purchase was In January so I couldn't see the item but the sellers she has bought from aren't high end. Just home goods and wigs. So we"ll see I gave her until tomorrow to pay before I move on to another seller and before I ship I'll give paypal a call.

+1.. and if your buyer wants to split the payments into 2, that too is not acceptable..

If your buyer really wants the bag, she will figure it out, IYKWIM..

What kind of feedback does she have?? Does it look like she has purchased

high end designer items??

She has 100% feedback and has been a member since 2008.
In 2008, ebay changed the feedback policy with a change that doesn't allow sellers to leave anything except positive feedback for buyers. Thus, all buyers have 100% feedback. A buyer's "good feedback" doesn't mean much since that change.