Paypal Holding Funds?

bisbee

Best Bubbie
O.G.
Jul 12, 2006
I sold something on Ebay yesterday - this isn't the first time I've sold on Ebay, but it's a VERY occasional thing. The buyer paid me right away, but when I went to Paypal, the funds are being held - possibly for 21 days!

They suggested ways to expedite release of the funds - one of which being printing the label, which I did - I'm going to ship the item Priority Mail on my way home. BUT, they will still hold the money until after it is delivered!

Maybe I'm living under a rock, but I've NEVER had to wait for my money before! I've sold tickets to concerts, etc., and the money was always there for me to transfer to my bank account.

Has something changed? TIA!

It happened to me as well. They didn't hold the money for 21 days. That's the max they will hold it if you don't put your tracking info into their system. If you put in your tracking info, 3 days after delivery is confirmed they will release the funds. Hope this helps!

I sold something on Ebay yesterday - this isn't the first time I've sold on Ebay, but it's a VERY occasional thing. The buyer paid me right away, but when I went to Paypal, the funds are being held - possibly for 21 days!

They suggested ways to expedite release of the funds - one of which being printing the label, which I did - I'm going to ship the item Priority Mail on my way home. BUT, they will still hold the money until after it is delivered!

Maybe I'm living under a rock, but I've NEVER had to wait for my money before! I've sold tickets to concerts, etc., and the money was always there for me to transfer to my bank account.

Last edited:
As long as you printed label through eBay or paypal the money should be released 3 days after item arrives. If you printed through eBay the tracking info should be automatically sent over to paypal but for some reason eBay has been having issues getting the info over there so you may need to input the tracking to paypal so that way in 3 days the money will be released. If you printed through paypal it should be a pretty smooth process.

bisbee said:

Since you are not a regular seller this is not uncommon. Also since we are close to Christmas paypal is being more cautious. I know it is annoying but as long as you send it ASAP and use paypal or eBay to create the label, it should be much shorter than 21 days, in fact it should be 3 days past proof of delivery.

Thanks everyone - I did use Paypal to print the shipping label. That information was transmitted to Ebay automatically. Once that was done, they shortened the time - it now says the money will be available on 12/15 instead of 12/24. I shipped Monday and the item was delivered this morning, so I'll keep checking to make sure the money is released - it should be within a few days.

I'll have to think twice about selling this way again - I don't like having to send something out before I KNOW the money is at least being transferred to my account!

keep in mind, if item is delivered, you can always call/email paypal, tell them to check DC and they will usually release the hold. Or, if the buyer leaves feedback, that will trigger the release. It really isn't that big of a deal.

keep in mind, if item is delivered, you can always call/email paypal, tell them to check DC and they will usually release the hold. Or, if the buyer leaves feedback, that will trigger the release. It really isn't that big of a deal.

you don't feel like this way you're at the mercy of the buyer? if the buyer is normal then it's ok but with all those "partial refund seekers" and scammers i understand why someone would be nervious.

also, if the buyer doesn't leave feedback then she has to wait 3 days after the item was delivered.

even if there's no scam going on, i'd be annoyed if i had to wait 7-10 days for my money and pay shipping out of my pocket.

jmo as usual))))

Ebay usually releases a little bit of funds for shipping...unless you listed the item as free shipping. If they don't, just contact them and they will. I don't know exactly how to do that, because I just use free shipping anyway. It avoids someone dinging my stars for shipping costs and fees on shipping, etc. Avoids any potential headache.

Ebay usually releases a little bit of funds for shipping...unless you listed the item as free shipping. If they don't, just contact them and they will. I don't know exactly how to do that, because I just use free shipping anyway. It avoids someone dinging my stars for shipping costs and fees on shipping, etc. Avoids any potential headache.

if you replied to my post then thank you for the advice but i don't sell. on the regular anyway. i'm just hanging around here, reading threads and replying when i have something to say)))))))))))

just so you know, there were many people posting here that couldn't believe they got dinged on shippping when it was free and shipped same day

ETA yes, you don't pay fees for shipping but don't you then just include the shipping in the price in a way? or you're truly taking a loss on shipping?

if you replied to my post then thank you for the advice but i don't sell. on the regular anyway. i'm just hanging around here, reading threads and replying when i have something to say)))))))))))

just so you know, there were many people posting here that couldn't believe they got dinged on shippping when it was free and shipped same day

ETA yes, you don't pay fees for shipping but don't you then just include the shipping in the price in a way? or you're truly taking a loss on shipping?

I was commenting in general, for anyone who did not know. (Hence why I did not quote anyone.)
Yes you can still get dinged for shipping time...but not shipping costs. :biggrin:
Lol, I take a loss on all of my bags, really...shipping is usually out of my own pocket. I sell mostly Coach, so the resell value is not too great. Shipping is usually not that expensive, since I only ship domestic. I care more about fees when setting prices than I do shipping.
It's very rare for me to make a profit.

I was commenting in general, for anyone who did not know. (Hence why I did not quote anyone.)
Yes you can still get dinged for shipping time...but not shipping costs. :biggrin:
Lol, I take a loss on all of my bags, really...shipping is usually out of my own pocket. I sell mostly Coach, so the resell value is not too great. Shipping is usually not that expensive, since I only ship domestic. I care more about fees when setting prices than I do shipping.
It's very rare for me to make a profit

oh, i thought that was for me.

and believe it or not, shipping cost. i can't find it now but someone couldn't believe they got dinged for shipping cost AND time and it was free and shipped same day.
and she wasn't alone either, there were others.

everything is possible on ebay)))))))))))))

ETA yeah, from my tiny experience selling 3 phones and an old laptop - i can't believe that people can actually have businesses on ebay AND make money. they obviously do otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it but it's beyond me.

i'm assuming you're just selling your stuff, not as business. otherwise you couldn't take a loss, right?

oh, i thought that was for me.

and believe it or not, shipping cost. i can't find it now but someone couldn't believe they got dinged for shipping cost AND time and it was free and shipped same day.
and she wasn't alone either, there were others.

everything is possible on ebay)))))))))))))

ETA yeah, from my tiny experience selling 3 phones and an old laptop - i can't believe that people can actually have businesses on ebay AND make money. they obviously do otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it but it's beyond me.

i'm assuming you're just selling your stuff, not as business. otherwise you couldn't take a loss, right?
Exactly...I sell bags I get tired of to fund new ones. Two out for every one in (cutting down my huge collection over the past year) .:biggrin:
Getting dinged for free shipping and next day shipping is wrong, IMO. But some people are quirky, I guess. You run into all sorts of people when selling.

It's wrong, no question about it. I was only telling you this so you know it can happen.

Yeah, ebay is not for weak hearted)))))) there's way too much stress involved with every sale/buy. So many things can go wrong