PayPal Expands Buyer Protection Program for Off-eBay Transactions

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. FYI:

PayPal is expanding its buyer protection program for shoppers who use its payment service on merchants' websites effective November 1, 2010. Last year, PayPal began offering purchase protection on merchant sites for select purchases, if the buyer didn't receive the item ("Item Not Received," in eBay-PayPal parlance). Beginning this November, PayPal's buyer protection policy will be expanded to include items received but significantly different from what was described by the merchant ("Significantly Not as Described," or SNAD).
    The expanded coverage also applies to marketplaces sites including Etsy, although local pickup isn't covered.
    PayPal said the extended significantly-not-as-described coverage would apply to all of the 190 countries it serves except Belgium, Brazil, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland and Spain.
    The protection is similar to that already offered by PayPal for eBay transactions. Merchants who are unfamiliar with the buyer protection program offered on eBay should review PayPal's Seller Protection program to ensure they follow guidelines that protect them in the event of a claim. PayPal also blogged about how sellers could avoid buyer claims on its corporate blog.
    PayPal said it could offer extended protection due to its sophisticated anti-fraud model: "PayPal has processed billions of transactions in the past 11 years. With this technology, PayPal often detects and stops fraudulent activity the moment it occurs and before it ever reaches our customers."
    Katherine Hutchison, senior director for global risk management at PayPal, said, "When you use PayPal this holiday shopping season and beyond, you can have peace of mind knowing that we're offering even more protection if something goes wrong."

Originally posted at http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y10/m09/i29/s01

2. Thanks for the update!

3. Thank you for posting this:smile:

4. Wow.....thanks for this! I did not realize this was in the works.

5. thanks!! very useful...

6. Good to know, will make shopping on Bonanzle safer for buyers!

Linda

7. Agree with LindaP~ Now it makes online resell sites a little less scary! :smile:

8. thanks for the 411, OP!!

It's good news & in a way bad news....Good that SNADs will be covered for more online purchases, but bad for the wallet because I'll likely be spending more $$$. :biggrin:

9. Thanks for the wonderful news!! :woohoo:

10. Just echoing what everyone else said-- thanks for posting, this is great!!! :tup:

11. Probably means a fee increase.

12. PayPal said it could offer extended protection due to its sophisticated anti-fraud model: "PayPal has processed billions of transactions in the past 11 years. With this technology, PayPal often detects and stops fraudulent activity the moment it occurs and before it ever reaches our customers."
    Katherine Hutchison, senior director for global risk management at PayPal, said, "When you use PayPal this holiday shopping season and beyond, you can have peace of mind knowing that we're offering even more protection if something goes wrong."

:roflmfao:

Sorry, but I couldn't help it...

Thanks for posting this info, OP!

13. Does this just apply to merchants using PayPal on their website or does it also apply to personal sellers?

14. Good news for me as a buyer.

15. That's really good to hear.