PayPal Escalation Question

Toby93

Poodle Mom
O.G.
Jun 24, 2013
I have a PayPal question, it has nothing to do with eBay. I opened a SNAD dispute on PayPal and they ask that you try to work things out with the seller. Once you have escalated the dispute, do you wait for PayPal to reply or if after you escalate, the seller says to return do you return it? I am not sure now if I am supposed to wait for PP to respond or if I take instructions from the seller?

The item is fake - it's been confirmed fake on TPF. I am just wondering if I go ahead and return as the seller is asking, or since it's been escalated, do I wait for PP to get back to me?

The item is fake - it's been confirmed fake on TPF. I am just wondering if I go ahead and return as the seller is asking, or since it's been escalated, do I wait for PP to get back to me?
Ask the seller to send you a return prepaid shipping label. (If $750+ there needs to be s.c. added.) Remind her that since it's been proven to be fake/SNAD, as seller she's responsible for return shipping as well as issuing a full refund to make you whole.

If she doesn't willingly do it, call PP and ask their advice for getting her to pay return shipping.

Reactions: Kidclarke
xx
asking paypal for a return label will some times kill your return. you are paying for return shipping, end of the story. and asking for a label on paypal sometimes seems as if you are taking advantage of the situation and some times paypal is known to void the dispute.

just fyi with a basic question like this, you can call paypal and have your issue resolved in 2 minutes time than posting on a forum.

if the seller gave you the return address inside the paypal dispute, than ship it there with tracking, signature if over 750. if they ddin't give you the address than either with for paypal to decide or call them on the phone and they will decide while your on the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your seller has offered to accept the return, you don't need to wait for Paypal's instruction/final decision, especially since they won't send you a return label anyway, being from another country. (Asking Paypal about a return label for a fake item shouldn't ever "kill" your return or void a claim.. by the way.) But in this case you can definitely ask the seller for return shipping reimbursement $ since it's fake, that's well within your rights. I'm unfamiliar with out-of-the-country returns/SNAD through Paypal, so this might be one where you have to eat the return cost whereas you normally shouldn't. Price of doing overseas purchasing perhaps? Definitely track/signature etc.. let us know what Paypal says about returning the fake item to another country? I'd be curious. Also if you can't enter in notes about the seller agreeing to accept the return in the claim details (if they didn't agree to it within the claim communication itself..) then mention that for sure on the phone right way when you call Paypal, just in case they are even a tiny bit considering ruling in the seller's favor here. Good luck!

If your seller has offered to accept the return, you don't need to wait for Paypal's instruction/final decision, especially since they won't send you a return label anyway, being from another country. (Asking Paypal about a return label for a fake item shouldn't ever "kill" your return or void a claim.. by the way.) But in this case you can definitely ask the seller for return shipping reimbursement $ since it's fake, that's well within your rights. I'm unfamiliar with out-of-the-country returns/SNAD through Paypal, so this might be one where you have to eat the return cost whereas you normally shouldn't. Price of doing overseas purchasing perhaps? Definitely track/signature etc.. let us know what Paypal says about returning the fake item to another country? I'd be curious. Also if you can't enter in notes about the seller agreeing to accept the return in the claim details (if they didn't agree to it within the claim communication itself..) then mention that for sure on the phone right way when you call Paypal, just in case they are even a tiny bit considering ruling in the seller's favor here. Good luck!
Thank you for your advice! I just received an email from PP letting me know that they have given me the go ahead to return the item for a refund. The shipping is my responsibility, which I guess is the price of doing business overseas. I will get it in the mail,and upload the tracking. Seller never responded to the PP claim, but said to return it to them after it was already escalated. I think I will stick with PP, and hopefully I will get my money back.

Reactions: lshcat
Just an update to this case. PayPal instructed me to send the item back for a refund. I called them to ask why I had to pay to send a counterfeit item back and they told me they no longer get involved in disputes over fakes - the buyer needs to return for refund.

It was delivered today with tracking so I got on the phone again to PP and requested that they close the dispute and refund my money. The rep was able to do this while I was still on the phone.

The whole process took almost a month, with no cooperation or response from the seller. The rep said that they would be taking action against sellers account because of their behaviour.

Reactions: Kidclarke
Just an update to this case. PayPal instructed me to send the item back for a refund. I called them to ask why I had to pay to send a counterfeit item back and they told me they no longer get involved in disputes over fakes - the buyer needs to return for refund.

It was delivered today with tracking so I got on the phone again to PP and requested that they close the dispute and refund my money. The rep was able to do this while I was still on the phone.

The whole process took almost a month, with no cooperation or response from the seller. The rep said that they would be taking action against sellers account because of their behaviour.
What a pain! Paypal shouldn't have made it so difficult for you. Would it have been easier for you to open a credit card dispute?

What a pain! Paypal shouldn't have made it so difficult for you. Would it have been easier for you to open a credit card dispute?
Probably, but I paid with my PP balance I have never opened a credit card dispute, so I don't know what's involved. It's my fault for not having it authenticated BEFORE I purchased.