Paypal dispute question

no3lle

Oct 10, 2009
hi :smile:

i bought a bag from ebay and the seller had misrepresented the condition of the bag. i have contacted the seller, she has offered me a refund on the price of the bag (excluding the shipping to me which she overcharged me). so effectively, she will still be able to earn a profit from the overcharged excess from the shipping which she never paid to the post office in the first place if i were to take this course of action.

anyway i am thinking about opening a paypal dispute. but only if the outcome is a partial refund and that i don't have to return the bag. reason for this is that shipping back to the seller would cost me almost the same amount as i have paid for the bag because of the requirement to use a tracking service (sending big tracked parcels are extremely pricey where i live) and because of exchange rates.

if the paypal dispute outcome is that the seller has to refund me and i send the bag back at my own cost, can i say refuse this outcome? or when i open the paypal dispute can i request that i don't wish to return the bag but want a partial refund for the misrepresentation?

cheers

Hi! :biggrin:

When you file a dispute, you can say you're willing to accept a partial refund and then state how much you are willing to accept.

However, you are not allowed (as far as I know) to say you would only accept a partial refund; as sellers are allowed to refuse to partially refund.

But, if the seller does refuse to partially refund, there is nothing stopping you cancelling the dispute/claim then and just keeping the bag or, even if the claim has been found in your favour, there is no gun at your head forcing you to return the bag.

It just means that, if you don't, you won't be refunded. :smile:

i bought a bag from ebay and the seller had misrepresented the condition of the bag. i have contacted the seller, she has offered me a refund on the price of the bag (excluding the shipping to me which she overcharged me). so effectively, she will still be able to earn a profit from the overcharged excess from the shipping which she never paid to the post office in the first place if i were to take this course of action.

anyway i am thinking about opening a paypal dispute. but only if the outcome is a partial refund and that i don't have to return the bag. reason for this is that shipping back to the seller would cost me almost the same amount as i have paid for the bag because of the requirement to use a tracking service (sending big tracked parcels are extremely pricey where i live) and because of exchange rates.

if the paypal dispute outcome is that the seller has to refund me and i send the bag back at my own cost, can i say refuse this outcome? or when i open the paypal dispute can i request that i don't wish to return the bag but want a partial refund for the misrepresentation?

cheers

I think it is unlikely that PayPal will rule that you should get a partial refund. I really haven't heard of them ever doing that. If the bag is SNAD (significantly not as described), they may rule the seller has to take it back, but you may still be out return shipping. You would definitely need to send it with some type of tracking/delivery/signature confirmation, for your own safety, since the seller could claim they never got the bag back and then not have to refund you.

On another note, I'm a little confused as to how you say the seller overcharged you for shipping, but that return shipping for you would cost as much as the bag itself? It may be that the shipping cost was high for the seller because he/she used tracking/signature confirmation. I'm not sure what the value of the bag is we are talking about here, but any seller selling an expensive handbag would be absolutely foolish not to send their package with tracking/signature confirmation/insurance, which does cost more. Now if the seller said they sent it one way and clearly did not, that's something else entirely, and certainly wrong, but if shipping costs were high because, well, shipping can be expensive, what can you do? I also think that's not much of a claim for PayPal, since presumably you knew what the seller was going to charge for shipping and you still chose to make the purchase.

Honestly, if the bag isn't what you expected and the seller is willing to take it back and refund you without a hassle, that's probably a good way to go. Did you ask the seller about a partial refund? Possibly they may be willing to do that. Getting involved in a PayPal SNAD dispute can be a pain, depending on what you think was misrepresented about the bag. If it's fake, that's one thing, but if the dispute is over more subjective issues, it can be trickier.

Okay, I may be wrong about partial refunds (just read chloehandbags' post). I just rarely hear about people getting that as a ruling by PayPal - maybe just because most sellers/buyers don't want to do that? But at the very least, it doesn't sound like PayPal is going to force the seller to give you a partial refund.

^ :yes:

PP won't rule, in a claim, that the seller has to partially refund - but you can say you would be willing to accept a partial refund, when you open a dispute.

cheers
you cannot expect to keep the bag & get a refund - that is ridicolous! you should hae checked the details before you bought.

plilippé;14660779 said:
you cannot expect to keep the bag & get a refund - that is ridicolous! you should hae checked the details before you bought.

She is not asking for a refund fully, but a partial one because the bas not as described. OP what is wrong with the bag? Just curious.

Paypal told me that they never support partial refunds - they cancel claims if the buyer does not send the bag back. However, you always have the power to influence the seller - if she does not accept partial refund - give her a fat negative. It is her who took you for a ride - now it is your turn to decide how to play - if she wants no negative, she better agree to a partial refund. But do not make your feedback be "condition" - ebay can remove it as "extorted".
HATE sellers who misrepresent their items as better, newer...etc and then claim "oh, I did not notice" or "oh, you still got it for a good price"
Fat negative.

Paypal told me that they never support partial refunds - they cancel claims if the buyer does not send the bag back. However, you always have the power to influence the seller - if she does not accept partial refund - give her a fat negative. It is her who took you for a ride - now it is your turn to decide how to play - if she wants no negative, she better agree to a partial refund. But do not make your feedback be "condition" - ebay can remove it as "extorted".
HATE sellers who misrepresent their items as better, newer...etc and then claim "oh, I did not notice" or "oh, you still got it for a good price"
Fat negative.

I'm not a fan anyone misrepresenting their item either, but the OP didn't really say what the issue was. It seemed like she was angrier about the shipping charges than anything else.