Paypal dispute or direct to Credit Card to recover funds – which is better?

Joydaly

May 20, 2007
Got a fake off ebay and paid for it via paypal / visa card.
I have protection with my credit card which would be less of a hassle than going thru paypal, but wonder if there's a reason I should go to paypal first.
I appreciate your thoughts - thank you in advance.

You need to go through paypal first or else they may give your account a negative balance. There are other threads that have talked about this -- you may want to do a search.

I wonder if someone can help me locate a thread that may explain how paypal can give me a negative balance if I go direct to my credit card?

I did a search and spent alot of time reading here, but could not find an explaination of how the neg balance/paypal thing works.:confused1:
any help would really be appreciated.
Thank you.

You have to go through the right channels first of all, file a dispute with Paypal and if for some reason you get nothing with that then go to your CC.

I don't know how you would end up with a negative balance either as you are the one who paid....

You have to go through the right channels first of all, file a dispute with Paypal and if for some reason you get nothing with that then go to your CC.

I don't know how you would end up with a negative balance either as you are the one who paid....

PP gave me a negative balance once when I started a dispute with my CC before contacting them first. My CC took the funds from PP, so PP then made my account negative to make up for the funds that they lost. I'm not sure if they do that anymore, this was at least 5 years ago.

I wonder if someone can help me locate a thread that may explain how paypal can give me a negative balance if I go direct to my credit card?

I did a search and spent alot of time reading here, but could not find an explaination of how the neg balance/paypal thing works.:confused1:
any help would really be appreciated.
Thank you.

Because the Credit Card effectively take the money back, if you don't have any money in your Paypal account this goes to negative. Its just like the Bank, if you don't have enough money in your bank to pay for something you go into your overdraft (or over it!), Paypal is exactly the same. If you don't have enough money to cover the charge back then they put your account into negative. That means that whenever you get paid for something into Paypal, they will take the money immediately until you have paid this negative amount. (If that makes sense).

It is the same if you sell something and somebody raises a dispute with Paypal. Even if you have withdrawn their money from your Paypal account, Paypal take this money back (well hold it until the dispute is cleared). Sometimes, that puts your account into negative.

I hope that helps - I know what I mean but I ramble sometimes.

You didn't ramble at all - thank you for your effort and time explaining.

In sending the fake back to the seller I guess I thought my cc company would dispute the charge with paypal and paypal would put the sellers account in a negative to recover the funds. I didn't realize that for me as a buyer paypal could effect me so.

You didn't ramble at all - thank you for your effort and time explaining.

In sending the fake back to the seller I guess I thought my cc company would dispute the charge with paypal and paypal would put the sellers account in a negative to recover the funds. I didn't realize that for me as a buyer paypal could effect me so.

WAIT! Don't send the fake bag back to the seller until PP tells you to do so. You might need it as evidence. Hold on to it, no matter what the seller says.