Paypal denied appeal...

I am so sorry that this happened to you. We also had a buyer from South Korea. (Maybe the same one) After several e mails back and forth, everything seemed on the up and up so we opened up the listing so she could purchase the bag. (We normally only ship to US and Canada, but do make exceptions from time to time) After purchasing the item, she then immediately sent an e mail stating that she wanted us to declare the value at 75.00 USD and mark it as a gift item. The same story as you got, "duty fees are too high, she'll be totally responsible for all shipping, yada-yada-yada." When we told her we could not do that, she sent another e mail stating that she didn't understand why; "The bag is "used" even though it was never used. There is nothing illegal about it" and, again, she will be totally responsible for all shipping.

To make a long story short, after several e mails back and forth trying to rectify the situation, we sent through a mutual agreement to terminate the sale and she accepted.

After this hassle, we'll just stick to shipping to US and Canada.

I had a similar situation. I sold a bag, I think it was worth about £260 UK pounds to a US buyer, who later claimed not to have received it. I sent it by an insured, trackable and signed for method except that the online tracking did not show the signature. Paypal therefore disallowed my counter claim, and I was in a fortunate position that I asked a friend in the US to go to her local post office and she was able to obtain a copy of the signature. Once I had that, I faxed it to paypal and they then returned my money. In all, the process took 3 months!

On another occasion, an unverified US buyer filed a chargeback claiming that his card had been used without his permission. On that occasion, the tracking showing delivery, but again without a signature was sufficient for me to counter claim.

I now will only send to a confirmed or verified address and will not ship to Asia.

Thanks guys...I guess you learned only after you got burned. I think it's a lose-lose situation for me as I did not follow the seller protection plan per Paypal's stipulation.
Even if this situation turns out to be fraud, and because I did not follow Paypal's seller protection plan, they can't take out the negative charge in my account, which in my opinion is complete BS. But what is fair in this world? This sucks. I am hoping for a miracle, lol.

LTV. From what I understand, we were both hit by the same buyer from South Korea. We will help you in any way we can. I just tried to call Paypal to give them a heads up on this person and have been on hold for 15 minutes. I will try again later.

I would venture to guess that we aren't the only 2 handbag sellers on eBay this has happened to with this buyer. It makes me wonder how many transactions have been mutually terminated because the sellers would not bow to her terms concerning customs and insurance.

Our last e mail to her (before we terminated the sale) told her that the only way we would even consider her request would be to mutually end the transaction, relist the bag, and she could rebuy it. However, she would have to pay through an International Moneygram. That way, she would be completely responsible for any problems in shipping as she had promised in her previous e mails. She was not interested. I knew she wouldn't be, which is why I suggested it.

This buyer may not do this with all transactions, just enough to get a free high ticket item here and there. If we would have gone ahead with this sale, I'm sure the same thing would have happened to us.

mecouturechick2...I have goosebumps reading this and I thank you for sharing your experience and you did the smartest thing... I was in touch with Paypal thru phone and email and I was basically shut down, and hence the reason I went here to vent my frustration, and to see if there are any way to deal with this situation. As of today, Paypal charged my credit card the $800...(not really feeling good about this).

Another PFer notified me of the same buyer from South Korea that has done similar, if not, exact same thing. From what she told me, there are few complaints regarding this specific buyer.

LTV. From what I understand, we were both hit by the same buyer from South Korea. We will help you in any way we can. I just tried to call Paypal to give them a heads up on this person and have been on hold for 15 minutes. I will try again later.

I would venture to guess that we aren't the only 2 handbag sellers on eBay this has happened to with this buyer. It makes me wonder how many transactions have been mutually terminated because the sellers would not bow to her terms concerning customs and insurance.

Our last e mail to her (before we terminated the sale) told her that the only way we would even consider her request would be to mutually end the transaction, relist the bag, and she could rebuy it. However, she would have to pay through an International Moneygram. That way, she would be completely responsible for any problems in shipping as she had promised in her previous e mails. She was not interested. I knew she wouldn't be, which is why I suggested it.

This buyer may not do this with all transactions, just enough to get a free high ticket item here and there. If we would have gone ahead with this sale, I'm sure the same thing would have happened to us.

in the future if you still want to deal with paypal..DO NOT leave any funds in your PP account once you get paid withdrawl it into your banking account. Always use signature confirmation on anything you would not want to pay out of pocket incase a buyer claims they never got it. I hope things work out for you

in the future if you still want to deal with paypal..DO NOT leave any funds in your PP account once you get paid withdrawl it into your banking account. Always use signature confirmation on anything you would not want to pay out of pocket incase a buyer claims they never got it. I hope things work out for you

I had that happen to me too. Out of bag and with negative balance (because I had withdrawn the funds)...a lot of threatening e-mails from paypal about collecting the money and the absolute worse paypal charging back a payment from another transaction I made (this time as a buyer) saying funds were fraudulent and then collectig/deducting them from my neg balance. I was sooo mad can you imagine the seller's reaction she was upset but fortunately someone I knew. So I refunded the money to her via hubbys account since mine was blocked. I send paypal a recored letter with delivery confirmation but have never heard back from them apart from more e-mails asking me to cover my balance which I eventually did.

Paypal stinks!

I fortunately purchased insurance and am still waiting (it's now over 3 months) to reimburse my money. Can't tell you how mad I am about all this.

I would insist on using a CC vendor or Google Checkout if they refuse an MO. At least you can stick up for yourself in the dispute. With PayPal, they really don't care about you and will NOT fight for you in the credit card dispute. They will only do what costs them less money

For me to ship outside of US, UK or Canada, I accept ONLY wire transfers. I explain very clearly to my buyer that they will have to assume ALL the risk. If they want the bag bad enough they take the chance. I do ship Global Express, insured with signature confirmation (at buyer's expense) and I declare the full value of the bag on customs forms.

I am not going to get my bum in a jam over a bag. I sell my bags to clear out my closet for new ones, not to make a living or give bargins to others.

Ladies protect yourself first, ALWAYS!

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you, you were just being nice.

It's these people that give international buyer's a bad rep. I've noticed more sellers are restricting their shipping destinations which is unfortunate for those who do the right thing.

I had a package that I shipped to Hong Kong a few years ago same deal. It was never found and I'm still sick over it. It was an LV bag, but the other party did go half on me so it wasn't a complete loss, but close to it. Only Global for me now too.