PayPal declines to refund for a fake bag

greenabyss

O.G.
Aug 29, 2007
Here is what happened. All these points can be proved from written emails:
  1. I saw a brown Gryson Skye on eBay and submitted best offer
  2. Seller contacts me via regular email and wants money order or check
  3. I insist on PayPal (because of buyer protection) and seller finally agrees
  4. I said I will only buy if the bag is 100% authentic and the seller had money back guarantee. Seller agrees
  5. Seller sends me an invoice through PayPal (not eBay), I paid for the bag. The bag came after several days.
  6. I bought several Gryson bags from Gryson's web site and when those bags arrived, I realized the brown Skye was a fake.
  7. I emailed (pictures) and talked to Gryson and they confirmed that what I bought was not authentic.
  8. I filed a claim and within 5 minutes from submitting the claim, PayPal rejected my claim saying that "attributes or quality of goods" do not matter.
I can't believe this. Does someone know if there is any other way for me to get my money back? I am so upset!

Yes, contact your credit card company. It is not covered by Paypal as it is an off-ebay transaction.

PayPal does offer buyer protection for transactions outside of ebay but it is to a lesser degree and they will only refund if the funds are in the seller's paypal account. If not in the account, no refund even if found in your favour.

Off-ebay transactions are covered by buyer complaint policy not buyer protection policy

From Paypal: To the extent that we provide reimbursement for losses for items that are Significantly Not as Described when received by the buyer (which we may do under all programs except the Buyer Complaint Policy), an item is Significantly Not as Described if the seller clearly misrepresented the details of the item in a way that affects its value or usability.

So under buyer complaint policy, there is no significantly not as described protection.

I spoke with a PayPal rep and he told me to email the resolution center. I am not really expecting anything at this point. I might call my cc and cancel if they decline to review my claim again.

I also thought paying through PayPal was the right way to buy auction items. Well, I am not going to trust them again.

I have always had great luck disputing with my credit card company! Forget paypal and pursue that route. It may take some time for your bank to reach a resolution but in this case, you're sure to win, especially with confirmation from Gryson's website that the purse you bought is fake.

Paypal is the safest way to buy from Ebay but you have to keep the whole thing through Ebay. Once you go 'off-Ebay' they are not responsible. That's why they advise buyers and sellers so often that they shouldn't do business off-Ebay. You should also send and receive all emails through their message system too.