Paypal collection agencies called.

Usually the chargeback isnt valid until she returns the items, until she provides proof that the item was returned she cant get her money back from the CC company, or atleast thats how it is in the US

Are you getting the calls from her CC company or an outside company? Chargebacks usually go through paypal and then you deal with paypal, not some outside company..

I have no contact with the CC company and paypal didn't provide any confirmation that the cc company actually granted the chargeback other then the fact that paypal emailed me saying they did and they're debiting my account.

I know that it's not what you want to hear, but you need to get a lawyer NOW that will handle the collection calls, write the necessary letters,and deal with paypal. I have a feeling they'll suddenly get their act together if a competent attorney contacts them with the facts. You have every right to go after paypal AND this woman you sold to. This is just outrageous!

IT just said I had outstanding debt. My dad's best friend is a lawyer and he told me to call back on Monday and tell them that unless they have proof that I owe this debt and that this Charge back is complete by proof of the return of the merchandise, they need to stop calling me. Right now they are basically just assuming because Paypal has hired them that I have debt without any proof.

I have all my tracking information and emails of the lady saying that she has got the items.

He also said under Visa/Mastercards merchant agreement it clearly states that for any funds to be returned to the buyer, the processor has to prove that the merchandise was returned back to the seller under the terms and conditions setforth on the sale. Since you were not the one that charged the card, you are not responsible for the chargeback. That's PayPal's problem not yours. They have to settle that dispute with the buyers credit card company.

Also to them $3000.00 is chunk change and they wouldn't waste their time trying to sue me. Also that if NCO tries to put this on my credit I have to open the dispute because the fact of the lack of evidence, they cannot just assume that I am unwilling to pay.

=T I hope I can get this straighten out! It's horrible!!

I'm happy you get such good advice, and it makes totally sense. Keep us updated!!! I feel sorry for people who don't know this and just loose their money this way.

sheishollywood i'm so sorry that you're going through all of this. i hope it is settled sooner than later.

i work for visa collections and we deal with much larger debts than $3000- up to 50k and more, and the people who possess these debts don't hear from collection agencies such as NCO for up to 8 months of non-payments. paypal seems to be jumping the gun to keep one client satisfied but as your lawyer/friend pointed out, VISA/MASTERCARD MUST prove that the merchandise was returned back to the seller under the terms and conditions setforth on the sale. this buyer absolutely has to return the item with proof for the chargeback to be legal!

my advice to you is to keep in touch with your lawyer friend and do not become intimidated by NCO. a couple of my colleagues worked for NCO last year and the stories they tell me... let me just say that their collection tactics are unbelievable. don't buy their threats.

as for your credit, this is a shame. hopefully it will all work out in your favor. keeps tabs with your credit card company to let them know what is going on, if necessary. if there is any harm done to your credit VISA/MASTERCARD can perhaps have your account reinstated once there is sufficient evidence that you have been dealing with fraud.

what a mess. keep us updated. this is so awful!

sheishollywood i'm so sorry that you're going through all of this. i hope it is settled sooner than later.

i work for visa collections and we deal with much larger debts than $3000- up to 50k and more, and the people who possess these debts don't hear from collection agencies such as NCO for up to 8 months of non-payments. paypal seems to be jumping the gun to keep one client satisfied but as your lawyer/friend pointed out, VISA/MASTERCARD MUST prove that the merchandise was returned back to the seller under the terms and conditions setforth on the sale. this buyer absolutely has to return the item with proof for the chargeback to be legal!

my advice to you is to keep in touch with your lawyer friend and do not become intimidated by NCO. a couple of my colleagues worked for NCO last year and the stories they tell me... let me just say that their collection tactics are unbelievable. don't buy their threats.

as for your credit, this is a shame. hopefully it will all work out in your favor. keeps tabs with your credit card company to let them know what is going on, if necessary. if there is any harm done to your credit VISA/MASTERCARD can perhaps have your account reinstated once there is sufficient evidence that you have been dealing with fraud.

what a mess. keep us updated. this is so awful!

Melissa (we share the same name!!) THANK YOU SO MUCH for your advice.

Your comment has put me in so much more ease. The lawyer said the same, to not get intimidated. He said that he knows so many cases where NCO just uses the "scare tactic" so people are just to afraid to really think common sense. A lot of people pay for debt that is not theirs because they're afraid of the ruined debt. He has also heard about so many horrible student loan debts that NCO has tried to "take care of".

Thank you everyone for your advice. I am definitely going to keep fighting this and I'm going to check my credit score weekly so that if something does happen I can dispute it and report them.

I just called back NCO and I got the slowest guy ever.

Every other sentence that I said he was like "So what you're trying to say it".

I told him that I WILL NOT pay the amount back until I have confirmation that the credit card company actually granted the chargeback. He said fine, I will send you the confirmation. I said, just to make sure that you're sending me confirmation from the credit card not YOU right? And he said well I have a confirmation of your debt here. I said I already got that form.

At the moment you're working on assumption. There is no proof whether or not the credit card company actually granted the charge back. Also under the merchant agreement (thanks melissa) that the items need to be returned. He said that was not paypal's responsibility. I said it is though. He kept debating with me. I don't think he had a clue. I said yes it is because if they do not make sure the merchandise is back, the CC company would not have granted the charge back! And he said well Paypal says that they're out money.

I said you cannot report under assumption. Against the fair credit collections act, YOU CANNOT report against assumptions. Whether they will or not is a whole different story.

They have NO idea what's going on. they're just relaying story after story!

Update. I'm in the process of receiving my equifax report. I had a hard time verifying my identity so I had to fax a lot of crap into their line and hopefully my account will be accessible within the week.

For bad practice, where can I report NCO?
Other than the BBB and dispute through equifax?