Paypal collection agencies called.

I had a buyer try this on me once and believe it or not, paypal actually took care of it. It took a LONG time, but they did it. I sent them copies of all of her emails-1st stated that she thought bag was fake, 2nd stated that she hadn't received it, 3rd was flat out honest and said that she had overspent. They had refunded the purchase price so I opened a dispute. The clincher was that she never returned the item (although she said that she had). She had no proof of returning it and paypal reversed the chargeback after about 30 days. Shonda

Oh, lord, what a nightmare. How can PayPal claim they are not a bank, not abide by Congress's banking laws, but offer banking products (Money market accounts, credit cards, etc.) We need the right law firm to take them on. It's too bad we're all just the little guys. Maybe the Purse Forum can collectively take them on, LOL.

These ebay/paypal stories just keep getting worse! I am so sorry for you, what a scammer! Hopefully this situation will be settled (in your favor) very soon. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

It sounds like she succeeded with her chargeback. BUT it could be a friend of hersthat she has calling you so you send her money. So be careful.

Run your credit reports (all 3 of them) typically if you have a collection agency calling you, it will be on your credit reports.

Dont send any money to anyone. You dont recall getting a letter from a collection agency at all do you?

Oh, lord, what a nightmare. How can PayPal claim they are not a bank, not abide by Congress's banking laws, but offer banking products (Money market accounts, credit cards, etc.) We need the right law firm to take them on. It's too bad we're all just the little guys. Maybe the Purse Forum can collectively take them on, LOL.

I would be in and so would the millions of anti-paypal petitioners. I think if we all can donate to a fund we can hire a heavy weight to close them down FOR GOOD!!

=D

It sounds like she succeeded with her chargeback. BUT it could be a friend of hersthat she has calling you so you send her money. So be careful.

Run your credit reports (all 3 of them) typically if you have a collection agency calling you, it will be on your credit reports.

Dont send any money to anyone. You dont recall getting a letter from a collection agency at all do you?

I have gotten no letters. Just one phone call to my old cellphone that now belongs to my little brother. He was so cute and scared that NCO called - I won't lie, I was a bit taken back myself.

I'm afraid to call paypal just in case they get fueled by the fact that I did not pay and will work harder in harassing me.

This guy just called and said "You owe paypal $3000.00 but I will let it slide for $2400." I asked how do I owe this money? and he wanted me to tell the story. And I fought him saying that it was a chargeback but I should be under the SPP. He said sorry but the user agreement says that users are not protected by charge backs. But in the SPP it clearly says that PAYPAL WILL PROTECT AGAINST FRAUD CLAIMS - which is it apparent that it is. And I said well that's a contradiction and I am following procedures THEY TOLD ME to follow so I will be under protection. He said, well It's not a contradiction the user agreement says this? I came back with "how is that not a contradiction? Their agreement says one thing and their procedures say another? Also it is subject to changed so the day that I signed up for paypal, it could've been altered but that still doesn't change the fact that it is a contradiction? He kept saying it wasn't and that because I had only been with paypal for 2 years that it couldn't have changed, and I said unless you are 100% sure and is ready to go to court with that phrase I suggest you not say anything. And then he was like "Well are you going to pay the $2400 or what?" I said I would seek out legal advice. He just told me that I had till Friday or he will report me as unwilling to pay.

I want to call him back and ask for proof that people say Paypal rarely has or will give. But the slight chance that they do have proof, I'll be backed up against the wall.

I mean proof by documentation of the actual cc company refunded the money back to it's owners. I don't even know if Paypal is allowed to forward that kind of documentation TO ME so I know. Also, I don't even have the items back... so they are totally condoning theft and scams.

I'd try to get all this in writing so you can evaluate it with a legal counsel.

If you can't, you don't need to do anything basically, because if they want any money from you, they have to sue you and present everything in court, all proof etc. You can then hire an attorney and get this thing thrown out of court at their expense if possible, or if not you may still be able to settle. At least that's how it works here.

Don't freak out just yet. Hang in there.

Thanks. I have only minimal proof. Just emails and that tracking number. No paypal dispute conversations anymore because paypal has locked my account.

I'm starting a petition and trying to get the stories out there... I guess you could say that you think that it'd never happen to you, but who knew even a "pay" could scam you and paypal clearly seeing the fraud would just stand there... There has been petitions before, but it has stood still for the last year or so... so I would hope to get it started again.

They are ruthless thieves. They have even froze accounts for no reason and have never released the funds.

NCO! Yikes! I just got a collection letter from them last week for a debt I owed in 1986! 21 years ago! A cc bill that was paid 21 years ago as well. They wanted proof! HA! I told them the statute of limitations has lapsed long ago. They said they would put it on my credit reports. Until it was fixed. OH NO!:nuts:

I called back and got redirected to an NCO in Phoenix and the guy was sooo nice and immediately deleted all my info. He said they had no right trying to collect on it since it was 21 years old. I wasnt sure if he was telling me the truth, so I called back and got a lady on the phone and she couldnt even pull up my info, so he did indeed delete it.

NCO is THE largest collections agency in the country. And the most aggressive. They will usually always try and settle for a lower amount. Thats normal. (I used to work for Nordstroms Banks collections a long time ago).

But being that they are collecting on behalf of PayPal, be careful. PayPal is now one of the most powerful financial institutions in the world. They will find a way to get what they are owed. Keep trying to get with PayPal and fix it. It definitely sounds like your buyers chargeback was successful. So PayPal will now go after you for the money. Good luck sweetie.

Donna,

Thanks so much! I couldn't get in touch with PayPal - or anyone that could benefit me of that matter. They said they cannot release documentations. How do they expect me to pay someone without any documentations?

I don't even know if they are allowed to give me the proofs. I didn't get a letter, just a call. =T

I'm just waiting for him to call back now.....

Hon, I still wouldn't worry about it now, I really wouldn't. If they only called you once so far, please wait til they send you a letter. No one in their right mind should pay any debt over the phone without at least receiving written confirmation. Donna is right that NCO is a very large and established collection agency, so it probably was a legitimate call. They may not have to release any documentation to you outside of court, but you have the right to put them to their proof. I don't know what stat eyou live in, but you should google organizations in your area that provide free or reduced fee legal help, like a legal aid society or even a consumer action group. First, I really don't think they are going to sue you, because it would cost more than it's worth. Second, if they do, it will be in small claims court, which is much more relaxed procedurally, and then you wouldn't even have to hire a lawyer. If that happens, you have the right to demand documentation, an dthey have to provide it. In the meantime, I think you should try to call around and just get some legal advice from someone in your area, just to be sure. Please don't stress out more than it's worth!!:smile:

Bella,

Thanks so much for the comforting words! I'm trying not to worry but this is the first thing that has happened to me. Even if they did have proof, I would be devastated because I was a victim of a blatantly clear scam! So even if the charge back was granted and they have confirmation from the cc company that they do, everything else is out the window...=T

What really irks me is that they say they are COMMITTED to fighting charge backs but then they contradict themselves and say that they are allowed to back down on a fight on a charge back if they think that you will lose. I am just thinking if they actually sent my documents and evidence over to the cc company. Because no cc company in the right mind would grant a charge back on a purchase that is only half existent. She practically sold half of the items.

It just leaves me to believe that them telling me to send as much information as possible was just a big bluff!

Wow....$3000 is A LOT of money!!! Sorry to hear this happened to you. I had this happen to me almost 3 years ago. I sold a pair of shoes on ebay and a couple months later the person files with paypal that they never received the shoes so the money was taken out of my account and given to the buyer. Never receiving the shoes was total BS but I didnt have the tracking info anymore and when I went to contact the buyer through ebay...they were no longer a registered user. So basically they got a pair of shoes for free.

Wow....$3000 is A LOT of money!!! Sorry to hear this happened to you. I had this happen to me almost 3 years ago. I sold a pair of shoes on ebay and a couple months later the person files with paypal that they never received the shoes so the money was taken out of my account and given to the buyer. Never receiving the shoes was total BS but I didnt have the tracking info anymore and when I went to contact the buyer through ebay...they were no longer a registered user. So basically they got a pair of shoes for free.

Paypal didn't think it was weird that they filed after a couple of months? Best would be if you would link trackinginfo into paypal/ebay. I can always go back to the item and click on shipping, that way it never gets lost.