Paypal 2-factor authentication saved my butt!

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
Wow! When logging in to my bank, ebay, Paypal and other sites, it's a PITA to have to check my text messages or email for that access code but it saved my account from being hacked last night.

This morning, I found a text from PP with my security code, received at 2:50 am! It certainly wasn't me trying to log in at that hour and because I was sound asleep, they probably went looking for another victim!

Damn, I wonder how they got into your account in the first place.

2FA is something that should be a mandatory standard on all accounts on anything important, mainly linked to money & personal information.
I wondered that too! I have no idea. There's no way they could have had my password.

Wow! When logging in to my bank, ebay, Paypal and other sites, it's a PITA to have to check my text messages or email for that access code but it saved my account from being hacked last night.

This morning, I found a text from PP with my security code, received at 2:50 am! It certainly wasn't me trying to log in at that hour and because I was sound asleep, they probably went looking for another victim!
Eeek, that is so scary. Thank you for sharing, BB :flowers:

Apparently the breach was conducted by using passwords stolen from other sites to attempt to access PayPal accounts hoping that people were using the same passwords.
Hmm. I wonder if the attempted breach on my account was either earlier than they found or if it was separate and done by different people.

That article says that the breaches were between December 6 and 8 but the attempt to access my account was on December 1.

I wasn't contacted by Paypal, didn't have to change my PW and wasn't given credit monitoring for the attempt.

Reactions: caannie