Paying Tax...

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Once again this has happened to me. I have just won an auction. The price is great. I go to pay and all of a sudden, added on to the shipping is also the tax. I thought perhaps I did not read it in the description. However, when I go to the auction to re-read it, it is not mention anywhere. The sellers are legitimate authentic jean resellers. I am annoyed but not sure what I should do. The price of the new jean is awesome ($46), shipping as stated $9.95, and tax $4.45.

2. I have never heard of paying tax on ebay before. Is it due to where you live?

3. Sounds as tho you are either in the same state as the seller, or the seller has a B&M presence in your state so they are collecting sales tax.

Hard to say w/o knowing any other facts, but I can say that TX sellers charge me TX sales tax.

4. I think you can call or check her state website to see if she is a registered business. If so then if you live in her state you have to pay tax.

5. I'm in New York, and a New York company charged me sales tax on EBay. So it probably IS a same state thing.

6. FYI:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-tax.html

Policy overview

As a condition of using the eBay, you agree to comply with all applicable U.S. and international laws, statutes, ordinances, and regulations regarding:

*The use of eBay's website and services
    *Your listings
    *Your solicitation of offers to purchase
    *The sale of your items

Sellers are responsible for paying all fees and taxes associated with using eBay. Please review the eBay User Agreement for more details regarding your responsibilities as an eBay member.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don’t, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

There may be legal implications, fees, and tax obligations associated with using eBay. Remember that it's your responsibility to understand and comply with relevant laws and regulations, and that you have to pay relevant fees and taxes.

7. I have paid taxes before when the auction states that they will collect taxes in certain states. However, what is annoying here is that the seller did not say that they would be collecting taxes at all. It was not disclosed in the auction.

8. True. If the seller follows a particular tax policy, he/she should point that out in the listing to avoid what just happened to you.

9. ^ hmm .. I agree!
    The seller should've disclosed that in her listing.

10. I have paid tax on (too) many auctions - I live in Calif. I agree that it is frustrating, however I don't think you can do much at this point except to pay it and maybe drop an em to Seller telling them that you wish they had pointed out the tax in the auction. I did once check with a seller (because I thought he was in NYC) to be certain that he was in my state - drat, he was!

11. Because taxes don't always apply on ebay sales, it is really important for a seller to disclose the applicability of taxes in the listing. Many do.

At this point, all you can do is let the seller know of the oversight. It might help the next person.

12. Sorry this might be a bit off topic. But as a seller, if I collect the taxes, do I file at the time of my tax return that I collected $x amount from eBay sales? Do I collect the tax % of the buyer's state or my residential state? Do I list all the states of the buyers on the tax forms and collect accordingly as well?Is there a form or specific section that's dedicated to this?

13. I found out they are in California, which is where I am also. I will pay the tax and point it out to the seller that they need to disclose the collection of sales tax to California residents/bidders in their auction. Had I known, I would not have set my max bid for the amount I did.