Paying for ebay purchase "outside of ebay"

Since I am a fairly new ebay buyer, I'm still learning the ropes. I have a pretty good handle on what's authentic because I'm familiar with the brand and styles, what's gone to outlet recently, etc. And so far, I've been lucky to purchase from what seem to be good, honest sellers.

But here's my question--lately some sellers have offered to give me free shipping (when it's not free in their ad), if I will pay them directly through paypal. I realize that I am not covered by ebay's buyer protection if I choose to go this route, but it made me wonder just how risky it really is--Have any of you done this? Do you think it's a big risk if it's a seller I have previously used, or am I asking for trouble? I don't know if it's worth it just to save $12-13 in shipping, when I could view that as the "cost of insurance".:shrugs:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.:smile:

eBay has many warnings about paying the sellers directly. I would never ever conduct the transaction outside of eBay. I'd be very worried that the sellers were offering you this to possibly scam you since there is a relatively new eBay protection policy that is in place. I've never had a seller offer this to me.

If you pay outside of PP and Ebay, you risk the possibility of not even getting the item they claimed they sold you and if they get delivery conf. it might be hard to prove to your credit card company that you didn't get what you ordered/wanted.

Thank you for your responses!
I was NOT even aware of an ebay forum, and I will check there. Also, I don't feel comfortable paying this way, but thought maybe I was being a little timid since I am new at this. That's why I wanted to get some opinions from you ladies here who are more experienced with ebay.

Since I am a fairly new ebay buyer, I'm still learning the ropes. I have a pretty good handle on what's authentic because I'm familiar with the brand and styles, what's gone to outlet recently, etc. And so far, I've been lucky to purchase from what seem to be good, honest sellers.

But here's my question--lately some sellers have offered to give me free shipping (when it's not free in their ad), if I will pay them directly through paypal. I realize that I am not covered by ebay's buyer protection if I choose to go this route, but it made me wonder just how risky it really is--Have any of you done this? Do you think it's a big risk if it's a seller I have previously used, or am I asking for trouble? I don't know if it's worth it just to save $12-13 in shipping, when I could view that as the "cost of insurance".:shrugs:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.:smile:

Unless you absolutely trust the seller, do not purchase off of eBay. You're exactly right when you said that you wouldn't qualify for buyer protection, and therein lies quite a bit of risk. Spending the $12-13 in shipping is paltry compared to the hassle and potential loss that would entail an off-eBay transaction gone wrong.

I would never pay directly to the seller, it's not worth it to lose your buyer protection. I'd be too scared of a potential bait and switch and also authenticity issues. You may want to trust a previous seller, however they are demonstrating they are not exactly legitimate by asking you to pay off ebay.:sneaky:

I did that once and was sent a fake so I talked to the seller she said to send it back and she would refund my money. She received the purse and kept telling me she could not refund the money because paypal would not let her. So of course she was lying so basically that was years ago now and I am still out my money and the purse.

I filed a claim with paypal but they could not do anything because it was bought outside of ebay so I would not ever do that again.

I do have a gut feeling that this person is honest....she wrote a long explanation offering the discount and saying if I felt more comfortable paying through ebay that was no problem....plus I'm certain the bag is authentic. I think she really WAS just trying to save me some $$. BUT I still think for all the reasons stated above, that I will shy away from buying outside of ebay. Like someone on the ebay forum wrote, the expense and time involved if there IS ever a problem, will be much higher than the $12 or $13 that I saved.

Thank you again!

I do have a gut feeling that this person is honest....she wrote a long explanation offering the discount and saying if I felt more comfortable paying through ebay that was no problem....plus I'm certain the bag is authentic. I think she really WAS just trying to save me some $$. BUT I still think for all the reasons stated above, that I will shy away from buying outside of ebay. Like someone on the ebay forum wrote, the expense and time involved if there IS ever a problem, will be much higher than the $12 or $13 that I saved.

Thank you again!
No matter what words someone writes, there is no reason to know whether the truth behind the words is true...and if you feel comfortable trusting someone you don't know, then only you can feel confident in that assessment.

No matter what words someone writes, there is no reason to know whether the truth behind the words is true

ITA.
I guess the reason I posted the question was more because I was curious if other veteran ebayers ever pay this way. I'm pretty conservative and a "rule-follower" so I definitely wouldn't take the risk.

P.S. The reason I kind of "trusted" her word is because I have purchased from her in the past, and the communication and quality was there.

I sell on ebay and I would NEVER do this. It's against ebay policy to do that. It's not as safe either. I would not buy from anyone who offered me this either. Scary.