Paying big bucks for bags...only real leather will do?

I buy what I like - regardless of what it's made from.

Hand-beaded, or appliquéd designs are generally far more expensive to produce than a plain leather bag; so I certainly don't consider them to be less valuable.

Out of the 25 R-T-W bags and wallets I own, 14 of them are all-leather, 6 are mixed (leather and some other material) and 5 are all (or virtually all [save for a leather plaque inside]) fabric.

The most expensive non-leather bag I've bought was about $100, and it was a really cute summer tote. I just think that because fabric is much cheaper and easier to work with for the manufacturer, it shouldn't be as expensive as leather.

i think it depends...
i have purchased a satin from balenciaga, a vinyl from chanel and God knows that LV's mostyl cased on a coated canvas, not leather LOL

and i believe that each materials are special in their own way.

I buy it if I like it. But leather reallly is a killer. I have been going on a leather streak and most of my recent purchases have been leather. I understand what you mean about paying more than $200+ for a nonleather bag.... I somewhat feel the same but at the same time, I still buy it if I like the bag regardless of what it is made of. :smile:

I go for a bag mainly for the overall look of the bag, the function, and how it goes with my outfit at the time. I prefer leather most of the time, however, do have some canvas, denim and nylon bags that at times are the right look for me. I usually don't put a monetary limt on the bag if its' the look I want.

this is true for me, particularly because fabric bags are knocked off so much more (like Kate Spade and Prada). seeing tons of people walking around with your bag kind of ruins it for me. if i'm going to lay down a lot of money, i want it to be special, timeless and beautifully made.

also, i generally don't care for patterns or large logos, and they seem to be more prevalent on fabric bags.

that said, i do really like my jack gomme gym bag, my dooney messenger, and my orla kiely beach tote! but those weren't serious money.