pawn shop finds - photos of your pawn shop treasures

bump.

i'm hoping someone has more photos of their pawn shop finds.

i can't wait to get that estate ring off layaway because it's gorgeous. i cannot believe the price i got it for, too.

What a great deals! I want to find a pawn shop here in The Netherlands but I don't know where to start looking and what the Dutch word is for it :sad: But I'm affraid no one can help me with that.

What a great deals! I want to find a pawn shop here in The Netherlands but I don't know where to start looking and what the Dutch word is for it :sad: But I'm affraid no one can help me with that.

is there anything there where you can buy estate jewelry, pre-owned jewelry or something of that nature? or consignment?

I just got back from Boca Raton, FL and have to say that Florida Pawn Shops are the place to go. Tons of people unloading Estate goods, the shops range from the cheesy types to very nice jewelry/pawn buying shops.
An acquaintance of mine owns a gorgeous shop called The Silver Queen near Tampa and he has a huge buying area that is fascinating to watch. His shop has a museum style display of Estate pieces of silver dinnerware from Presidential Periods and from Tiffany & Co.

I googled Silver Queen. Is it in Largo? I live in that general area.

I told a friend of mine we need to go pawn shop hunting. I am thinking the better finds are in wealthier areas or not necessarily true?

Japster- good advice on haggling too! Thanks!

I found one!! Yay, and more than one too... but 1 near me and me and SO are going to check it out anytime soon. I've emailed them and they told me they sell diamonds a lot so I was welcome to check it out.

Wow, some amazing finds in here! I may have to go check out my local shops! I especially love those 20's earrings!

And I agree people pawn items for a lot of reasons. When I changed religions, I sold all of my jewelry with the religious symbols on it to a pawn shop because it was quick and easy.

Wow, some amazing finds in here! I may have to go check out my local shops! I especially love those 20's earrings!

And I agree people pawn items for a lot of reasons. When I changed religions, I sold all of my jewelry with the religious symbols on it to a pawn shop because it was quick and easy.

if you do, be sure to post some pics! ;)

Does anyone know any good pawnshops in Kentucky? Loving the jewelry pictures!! Thx everyone for posting :smile:

Thx u!

i would look in the yellow pages and go from shop to shop. see if they're located in safe places so you'd feel comfortable shopping there and take it from there. make it a day trip. i have to imagine the ones closest to more affluent areas will have the most jewelry to choose from. maybe not.

i have between 3–4 that i regularly check out and they're all in very safe areas where i live, but the ones in denver (although i haven't checked them out yet since denver is an hour away), i imagine aren't. who knows.

the unfortunate thing with pawn shops is you definitely have to hit the pavement with these places and on a regular basis. it's like going to tj maxx or marshall's, you have to frequently check back for inventory because it varies daily.

good luck.

Wow! The ring is beautiful. How did you know the diamonds were real when you bought it........before you had it appraised? I'm always bending over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to be honest, i would never buy jewelry at a pawn shop unless they had a return policy. where i purchased this particular ring, their return policy was i believe, 7 days. i immediately took it to my regular jeweler and had him test it to ensure it was real. so not only did i have the pawn shop test the stones before i purchased it (they have a tester so when someone sells something, they test the stones to ensure they're real), i had my trusted jeweler do the same. at which point, he polished it up and made it look brand new. amazing.

before you purchase anything, make sure you inquire about their return policy and if they would guarantee that the ring/stones are in fact, authentic and not glass. you should be fine, because for the most part, they test it diligently when the person is selling it because they don't want to buy a fake either, just like you don't want to buy one. but it still doesn't hurt to cover your bases.

good luck.

ok, truly i am becoming addicted, because i found another ring yesterday at a pawn shop i never go to. it's a yellow gold eternity ring and it was only $65. the sticker price was $119 and i asked what he could sell it to me for.

i thought it was an excellent deal, so i grabbed it. i immediately took it to my jeweler and had them polish it up and check things over.

i love it and it looks really nice with my engagement/wedding set. even the yellow gold doesn't seem to clash with my white gold and platinum.

(since i'm now unemployed, i really need to not go to pawn shops—except to sell, not buy. lol).

DSCF0663.jpg

DSCF0661.jpg

DSCF0662.jpg

Pricing is good if you haggle. Here are some tips for those that may be unsure of pricing and how to negotiate.

What I recommend with pawnshops is to go in there with a set price per gram that you want to pay for 14k, 18k etc. Look at the marketprice that day and consider that the dealer buys at 60% of scrap or less usually and unlike the retailer, he doesn't pay a slight premium above scrap to pay for a jewelry designer/artist's work or for his bench jeweler's labor to make the piece, ect. However, he can also just as easily scrap the jewelry with a refiner for the market price that day so you don't want to offer too low.

When you see something you like give them an offer based on the gram weight vs. what the price tag says. Tell the dealer, gold price is XXX per oz and I don't want to pay more than XXX per gram. I can't imagine any dealer refusing a reasonable offer.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for explaining the mystery of it all.
My engagement ring is a an old pearl one. We bought it from an estate jewellery place because we it was there, we had money and it was cute. But it was not as expensive as we thought it would be. At the time it seemed remarkably cheap. But now I understand why.
Sadly the pearls fell out from time to time. I got them replaced once. But I am just too hard on pearls in a raised setting.
The "pearls for tears" analogy doesn't seem to work for me, because we have been remarkably happy for 23 years!

By the way, I love the old jewellery you posted. I can see why you kept them.