Patina: does anybody else hate the "orange" stage?

May 23, 2006
Does anybody else dislike the "orange" stage right before it begins to turn into a browner color? My Speedy's at that stage and I'm not liking it :Push: Guess I just need to use it more so it turns color faster :idea:

MEEE!!!!

I was just thinking about this earlier!
I LOVE a patina, and I hate white vanchetta. But that annoying light orangey stage is horrible! It makes the bag look fake! To me at least. Thank goodness it goes away fast.

Not me. I like all of the stages. I think it looks good. I use condition on new leather as soon as I take the bag home and that adds a slight sheen to the leather, making all the various colors in the transition process look better.

Mine is getting into that apricot-orange now and I like it. I wish I could keep it just like this (and in fact I try to keep it out of the sun) but I kind of like the life-cycle of the patina process -- it kind of makes the bag seem "organic" and personal. Like the whole wabi-sabi thing. I think this strange overlay of the aging leather on a patterned monogram canvas material that always stays the same is what makes the bag work so well for both casual and more dressed up. It really is unique that way. The Damier speedy is so pretty but doesn't have that funny paradox going on of the natural vachetta with the formal monogram --- it is just a pretty bag.

I have never seen an orangey patina! :hrmm: What does it look like? Pics anyone?

My bags have developed from the original almost white matte to light golden honey and then further to the darker glossy honey-amber colour, which I love the most.

Could it be the climate, since I live in a very Northern cold & dry climate? It takes several years for my bags to develop a slightest patina even if I use them a lot, and I don't store them in dustbags but in a shelf closet with a door.