Patent Sophia stained :(

Couturesque

Jul 8, 2010
Last edited:
Hmm, I've personally never had this problem with patent. I'm not sure if Coach will help you because it was not a manufacturing defect. Hopefully one of the ladies on this forum can help you find a way to get rid of the stain though.

Ladies, please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. Thanks.

this is why i stay away from light colors. patent leather especially will get color transfer. you could try some nail polish remover or alcohol. id hurry before it sets into the plastic coating.

That does sound like denim transfer. Unfortunately, since it wasn't a defect though and there was nothing wrong with the bag and it's been used, it's not a situation where it could be either exchanged or returned. It isn't a situation where Coach did anything wrong in the manufacture or the bag. I'm sorry this happened to you so soon. It can happen with any dark clothing and patent. Also with newspaper, receipts, magazines, etc. I don't know about Coach, but I do know with Louis Vuitton, it's considered "user wear and tear" and "normal use.". It's just one of those things you have to be careful of with patent. The age of the bag isn't really the issue since it can happen the first use or the 30th. It's just a patent thing. I'm so sorry. I know someone that word a $1,000 vermis LV the very first day with black coat and the bag was ruined. It was so sad. I can imagine how you must feel, especially to have it happen so soon.

I'm so so sorry this happened to you with your beautiful bag!!!!

I have a teal patent wristlet that I stored next to a black leather wristlet, and the same thing happened. But, there is a big difference between a wristlet that I can hide in a purse having color transfer, and your bag, though...I don't think you can get those marks off (I couldn't)...sorry...

I tried doing a search to see if there was anything that could be done. If you do a search under keywords "color transfer patent," there's a thread where someone got color transfer on a patent coach bag and wrote to coach. I tried to copy their response below so I hope thus works. Basically, they say it's the fault of the clothing whose dye bled not their bag and to take it up with the clothing manufacturer. I suppose technically that's true but hard to take. I know that's LV and Chanel's response too. The sad thing is that from everything I've read it's permanent. I do know LV gives a care card with their Vernis items warning about transfer and patent care. Anyway, here goes. Going to try to paste Coach's response:

Here it is:
I wrote to Coach CS (the following):

I received my camel patent Hailey 14323 earlier this month. I have barely used it. I just noticed black color transfer on the back of my purse and it won't come off. Please advise on what to do to clean this or how you can fix this. I think Coach should warn customers about color transfer. I wouldn't have bought this purse had I known this would happen.

Here is their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail.

It appears that you have experienced dye transfer with your Coach bag. Dye transfer is when an article of clothing rubs off onto another article. In this situation, the Coach bag is not defective and there are no cleaning methods available. The article that has rubbed off onto your bag is at fault.

We recommend that you contact the manufacturer of the clothing company that may have rubbed onto your bag.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,
Monique
COACH Online Consumer Service

I am disappointed by their reply to say the least.

This was another Coach response in the same thread.
And the thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/please-help-theres-color-transfer-my-camel-patent-541178.html

I wrote to them last night as well, and here was my generic reply:

Thank you for your inquiry.

We are sorry to learn your Coach bag is stained. It is
our policy to stand behind our goods against manufacturing defects for the natural life of our merchandise, excluding
normal wear. We do not offer a cleaning or refurbishing service. Harsh chemicals will damage the fabric and leather.
Unfortunately, there is little we can suggest that will
remove certain stains, such as dye transfer.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,
Julia
Coach Online Consumer Service

I'm totally mad over all this.

Last edited:
Yep, color transfer. Many dark dyed jeans come with a warning stating that the color can transfer onto clothing and accessories. This is not a Coach defect, nor is it a defect of the clothing. It's just the over saturation of dye and they recommend that you wash an article of clothing a few times first. It's the risk you take with any light colored bag whether it be patent leather, leather or fabric.