Patent Sophia stained :(

So very sorry to hear about your new bag :sad: and that it is considered issue with clothing dye. Why do they put so much dye in clothes anyway? I would think the color transfer would be bad for our skin and health as well. I called Coach and they also said issue with clothes dye not Coach and do not have recommendation other than what is on care card.

LV is much more $$$ money so you would think they would provide some kind of compensation.

I guess you can only wear light colors clothes with light colored bags?

Last edited:
This is why I will never get light color patent again. I had color transfer with my camel patent Hailey and Coach told me the same thing (my letter to Coach and their reply was posted on the first page of this thread). So it was an expensive lesson learned. I had researched all of tPf for tips to clean it and nothing worked for me.

It is easier to clean color transfer on a light color leather bag than patent, but even with my white leather Ali (original legacy), I decided I couldn't go through the stress of it anymore so I don't buy light color anything!

I didn't even think about how this could happen with wristlets like someone said on first page of this thread so now I will make sure to stay away from those too!

Last edited:
My daughter borrowed my white patent Coach bag and some of the color from her purple print blouse rubbed off onto the bag. I tried cleaning it with dish soap, and then the Coach conditioner , and then the Coach cleaner, didn't work. I then took a Q-tip with alcohol and tried cleaning a tiny spot on the corner, and the alcohol removed the plastic coating. So I suggest skipping alcohol or alcohol based cleaners. I decided to leave the bag as is for now, since the color transfer is hardly noticeable being on the bottom corners.

I had a color transfer issue with a white patent Ergo hobo. I wasn't even wearing denim! It was a light blue cotton shirt. I took it back and got the same bag in a darker color. This is definitely a problem with patent and it's why I never buy the light colored ones no matter how much I drool over them. Good Luck!

So very sorry to hear about your new bag :sad: and that it is considered issue with clothing dye. Why do they put so much dye in clothes anyway? I would think the color transfer would be bad for our skin and health as well. I called Coach and they also said issue with clothes dye not Coach and do not have recommendation other than what is on care card.

LV is much more $$$ money so you would think they would provide some kind of compensation.

I guess you can only wear light colors clothes with light colored bags?

most of my bags are light colored (being that i usually go for white or winter white) but i haven't had this problem because i don't wear denim and i'm careful what i choose to wear with those bags

i highlighted your quote in particular because the health issue was interesting, did you hear about the recent study that the ink they use on receipts are dangerous for our health because it can cause cancer? and that it rubs off really easy and transfers onto dollar bills thats why they say money is tainted (at least, 21 out of 22 that they tested)

my friend's dad owns a biochemical company and the stories he tells me about fabric finishes..makes you wash everything you buy new really good before using it.

on another note i think people are so used to coach having blunders that they'd cover that even when its one thats not their fault people expect some sort of compensation

I had this happen on an inconspicuous spot on a melon peyton inlaid tote. I tried everything I could find by googling...didn't work(at home remedies such as some mentioned above). You may want to try taking it to a shoe cobbler or something. They might be able to do/suggest something. I didnt pursue it that far, as it is on the bottom of the bag. good luck.

I got denim transfer on my white patent stitched Alex tote after only wearing her a few times. After much research, I tried NON-ACETONE nail polish remover. I figured I had nothing to lose and I started by taking just a very tiny bit and blotting and blotting. It did lighten it up quite a bit. But, you could definitely still see it. I also had read to apply some windex lightly after cleaning to protect/restore the shine of the patent. ??? So, what the heck, I did that too. I put it away for a few months and when I took her out again later, to my surprise - the stain is practically gone. If I didn't know it was there, I'd never be able to find it. And the patent doesn't seem damaged at all.

I know the patent Sophia is a completely different/thicker coating than the Alex stitched patent. And I can't guarantee that it would work or that it wouldn't harm Sophia's patent, but just letting you know what worked for me. And also I did my treatment on the same day that the transfer happened, so that may have been a factor too.

Anyway, good luck and SO sorry this happened to your beautiful Sophia.
:sad:

Last edited:
The dreaded transfer. My Kristen White Patent Hobo...love, love that bag...got a transfer on the backside from a black tee-shirt I was wearing. I wore it just a few times during the summer...always had light pants on...never thought about a tee-shirt staining it. It's not horrible...but, I'm really, really picky about my bags. Sigh :tdown: I think I'm with the club of folks that won't be buying light patent again...unless I get it for a STEAL at the outlet.

Whether Coach will help you depends a lot on where you purchased it and the relationship you have with your SA's. If you are a regular, they will most likely make an exception and exchange the bag for you. My store has done exchanges within the first couple of weeks for bags that are ruined by color transfer. We realize that customer satisfaction is more important than losing one handbag. It doesn't hurt to ask them.

Sidenote: This is why I always ask customers if they are looking for an "every day" bag and warn them against materials that stain easily.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I know it's not defective and all, but I still want to know if Coach is able to do something regarding this? I love Coach handbags, and I don't think they have cheap quality in any way, so I will try to ask them and see what they say.

See Brookitacita's response for what they MIGHT do. Really, they aren't obligated to do anything.

I got pen stain (small) on a patent tote and I think is was because I laid it on top of something that had been written on in pen. I'm anal about my bags as well and tried everything the forum advised to no avail. Even magic eraser...:tdown: nothing worked.

It's so tiny it doesn't bother me much now, but I returned my camel patent sabrina for this very reason...I was too paranoid...I so miss that bag...:-s

Op, somewhere on the bag where the leather cannot be seen--like some patent that might be right inside the zipper or even on the creed inside or on the reverse side of the shoulder strap----------in other words, somewhere that is not very visible and a part of th e purse that you are not concerned about "experimenting" try a product called Goof Off. APply it on a section of the bag that you are not concerned about, with a Q-tip. Wipe, wash and dry. If that doesn't take the shiny patent finish off, then try it on one of the smaller stained spots on your bag. Or, try the Magic Erasers, again in an area that you are not worried about experimenting on.
G/L and let us know if you have any luck with any of the ideas here. I'm sorry you got color transfer on your bag. You must be so sad. I'm so sorry.

Just found this article, OP, on "ehow.com" Hope it helps--it provides directions for how to clean color transfer on white patent leather--seems like this would work for camel patent, too?

How to Clean a Color Transfer on White Patent Leather
By Nikki Cash, eHow Contributor
updated: January 19, 2010

Color transfer occurs when the dyes on new shirts or fabrics become rubbed onto white patent leather. White patent leather is vulnerable to dye stains as well as everyday ink, dirt or grease stains. Patent leather generally has a smooth surface, which helps make stain removal with household products easier.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Alcohol
* Water
* Spray bottle
* Vinegar
* Linseed oil
* Non-linen rag
* Toothpaste
* Nail polish remover
* Hairspray
* Buffing polish or wax
* Vaseline

Clean the surface of the white patent leather. Mix one part alcohol and one part water and either pour this into a spray bottle or apply onto a rag. Then use the mixture to clean the patent leather free of the color transfer. Let the leather air dry without direct contact with sunlight.

Make a cleaner. Mix one part vinegar with two parts raw or food-grade linseed oil. Apply this mixture onto a lint-free rag.

Apply the cleaner onto the white patent leather. Using swirling movements, rub the cleaner onto the leather. Let it dry overnight.

Read more: How to Clean a Color Transfer on White Patent Leather | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5886544_clean-transfer-white-patent-leather.html#ixzz17lv7ZHEM

Oh no! SO sorry this happened to you! I would cry my eyes out! I had NO idea that this could happen with patent! I;ll never buy a light colored patent bag now! I wonder if the embossed camel Sophia could have this happen? I don't think its technically patent but it SURE LOOKS like it is! Oh no! I LOVE that bag!! now I'll be too afraid to buy it! ALL I wear is jeans! lol Hopefully Ciach comes out with a darker Sophia with those TDF braided handles that makes me love that one!!