Patent Pleated Ergo Satchel - Remove Ink Mark

Lisa Lisa

O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
I haven't even had my Ergo Patent Pleated Satchel for a week yet and someone in my office accidently inked it today! It is a small mark but not sure if there is any way to remove it. Any suggestions? I have never had to clean patent leather before. Thank you!
:sad:

Oh man, I'm sooo sorry!!

As the other poster suggested the other day, tape does work to remove light transfer...but you have to be CAREFUL. I'm not sure about pen marks, but I'm about to try one and I'll let you know. Now...I have NO idea about patent leather either, and what this would do....since it's coated, the tape might pull off some of the enamel finish, I'm not sure. Try it lightly. I have used tape on Legacy leather, and it makes it "whitish", and then you just rub and condition it afterward. In fact I just removed a tiny bit on the coin purse of my new sunflower Bridgit...looks like my navy tee bleeds. It worked completely, but it was also fresh bleed, and it wasn't ink. Tape doesn't always work though, and sometimes shipping tape is better than regular tape. Actually someone just gave me a leather bag with a pen mark, and I'm going to try to remove that...it's not a colorfast leather, so I'm not sure what else I can try yet either.

It looks like with the coated surface of patent that it would be easier to remove, though, since it's not so porous (there's a barrier). Magic erasers will sometimes take the color out of leather, but if you try a tiny piece of one very lightly, that might remove the mark. Otherwise, yeah, try all the commercial sources..the erasers, etc. You might ask at a leather shop, and that way you wouldn't have to keep buying stuff to try. They probably have it there. My experience with Coach is that they are very conservative (I'm sure because of liability reasons), and/or not very knowledgeable in this regard. A good professional can actually even redye if the color is lifted, but I've only experienced suede in this regard. Patent makes it a different situation.

There's also very very dilute bleach (VERY dilute) solution with club soda..supposedly that also will remove marks.

In any event, go lightly and use a Q-tip. Oh, I just saw the above post...is this a perm. marker?? That's going to be tougher, but I've definitely removed perm marker from non leather items with stuff like magic erasers and goo gone too.

Good luck, and again, I'm really sorry this happened to your new bag!!

P.S...this is a regular leather situation, but you might find something helpful here (?)....

I just tried to remove the pen mark from the bag I was talking about. I was largely successful with tape till the mark was fairly faint. Then I applied a very tiny bit of suede/nubuck cleaner on a Q-tip and lightly worked it in (the leather I'm working with is very porous and it's easy to lift the red dye). Once it was applied, I used tape again to lift more of the ink off. It looks like it's just very very faint now, but I want to wait till it dries completely and reassess the situation. Since the leather is so porous (and the dye is red), if it's really faint, I will just leave the rest. I'd rather not risk lifting the color too.

YOu can use your nail or something else to guide the tape along the pen mark and push it in lightly till it sticks good...that way it doesn't stick to other parts of the bag. Then just lift it off. If it's working, you can see the pen mark on the tape...BUT, a lot of dye too, and that's not good.

I don't know if this helps at all, but please be very careful if you try anything!!

I tried the soap and water again no that I am at home, no good. Also tried the acetone free nail polish remover...it did make it a little lighter. It is not a Sharpie but a fine tip marker pen. I tried the cleaners on the back of the hangtag first as it is the same patent material. I will try the tape next but dont really think it will do anything. I am thinking this mark is a keeper!

I tried the soap and water again no that I am at home, no good. Also tried the acetone free nail polish remover...it did make it a little lighter. It is not a Sharpie but a fine tip marker pen. I tried the cleaners on the back of the hangtag first as it is the same patent material. I will try the tape next but dont really think it will do anything. I am thinking this mark is a keeper!

Awww, I'm so sorry! THe bag I was working with still has a faint mark, but since it's faint, I left the rest. It looks ok, can't tell unless you really look for it...but that's leather.

I was just told that this patent bag comes with a card saying that the patent finish will wear off?? I don't have a bag like this but rather a crinkle patent MK bag that's similar to the Francine in finish. I think this type is different than yours, and has more coating. Thus, I think you should be even more careful. If you use tape, don't leave it on but seconds..and only lightly. The thing is at least on leather you can put a tad of cleaner on the bag first and then put the tape over it..and it doesn't pull off as much. You can repeat it over and over. For patent that's probably not going to work. I think at this point I would check with a leather shop and not do anything further...including cleaners. Some cleaners can dissolve the coating.

Thanks everyone for your help! I will stop by the leather shop tomorrow and see what they say. It is definitely lighter since I used the acetone free nail polish remover. I didnt even try the tape as I dont think it will do anything with the patent leather. I did stop by the Coach outlet and called the retail store...both said to just leave it. Now that it is lighter it is really not that noticeable as it is on the back side corner. Thanks for everyones concerns!
I love this forum!