Patent or Caviar Wallet?

mspera

Melissa :)
Mar 9, 2007
Lincoln, CA
Hi Chanel :heart:'s

So, I am a classic kind of gal. But, over the past few months, I have been craving something in patent...and have (1) Chanel wallet in caviar (it was my moms). All of my other wallets are Louis Vuitton - in the oh so practical canvas - which I absolutely love! Durable and the long-style Porte Tresor (discontinued), they fit my change, cc's, cash, and receipts perfectly.

But, I am wanting a Chanel wallet....both are Cruise 2011, and I saw them both in real life this past weekend in San Francisco.

So, my question is: Do I get the long pink patent zip around wallet? I have never had a zip around wallet, I don't know if I would want to open and close it a lot, or if I would get used to it.

OR

Go for the classic, timeless, standby of black caviar? The wallet I love has my name written all over it (not literally!)...but is long, has room for change, bills, receipts, cc's....and best of all comes with the closure in GOLD cc's!!

Sorry for no pictures, but if you ladies could help me decide in terms of pink/patent/durable ..... OR ..... caviar, black, timeless, gold :smile:

I have noticed with my mom's wallet that the caviar tends to "dull" over time...its had her use over the years, so that is to be expected I imagine?

Opinions and thoughts please.

:ty:

I have Style Numbers, if that helps anyone for reference:

Pink Patent Cruise Zip Around: A49137Y01799 ($775)

Black Caviar Trifold (GHW): A48984Y01864 ($860)

Last edited:

LoveActually1

Apr 5, 2010
black caviar. the pink patent may have color transfer issues and it would be annoying to have to baby it =\

mspera

Mar 9, 2007
Lincoln, CA
Thank you LoveActually1! Good thoughts...didn't even think about that with color transfer...and I don't want to have to baby it.

Keep the opinions coming please!

:flowers:

Nov 27, 2010
Los Angeles
I agree, The Pink Patent might be a pain with color transfer But it is not like the color transfer is going to be like fresh paint. Ive learned to work around it on certain patents I own, But do you want to worry about that? The great thing about Patent is the low maintance and how easy it is to clean it and keep it clean! :>)

Also, The Black Caviar is a great choice. Goes with most anything and its durable and looks amazing. Good luck Love.

mspera

Mar 9, 2007
Lincoln, CA
TheCrazyBagLady - adorable name by the way!! Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I don't want to have to worry about babying it, I want to be able to toss it in my bag and have other things around it and not be afraid of it with rain.

Darkchoc5372 - awesome thoughts on it being durable, it sure is. My medallion tote seems so very durable, and the quilted caviar is so pretty. I was shocked when I saw it in the store...and then with the gold cc's....

You gals are great! Keep the comments coming!

:ty:

mspera

Mar 9, 2007
Lincoln, CA
ps: I'm so afraid of pen mark or dirt mark got on patent...and pink is so easy to see those dirt.....
omg, great point there, I would not want it to look dirty or show a pen mark, its just such a pretty pink patent...and I color I didn't see my fingerprints on! :yahoo: so, I would be bummed if I got a stain and couldn't get it out.

Thanks again!

mspera

Mar 9, 2007
Lincoln, CA
Looks like the ladies are all recommending caviar!

Does anyone notice that their caviar looks "duller" over time/not as new looking?

Or, will a good coat of leather moisturizer always do the trick for supple-looking/new caviar?

bagchic1

O.G.
Oct 10, 2007
Bagsland
Patent looks pretty and stays looking new longer, but you will have to baby it because of the fingerprint and color transfer problems.

Caviar is much more durable and requires less maintenance, but does look duller with time.

I would solve this problem by buying a bright color caviar like red, orange, blue, etc.

karman

Crazy Cat Lady
O.G.
Aug 19, 2006
Canada
I wouldn't buy patent. Right now I set my black caviar wallet down on anything, but with a Patent I would never set it down on a surface without wiping the surface first. If you set your wallet on a magazine by accident...it's the end of the patent!

I love this wallet to death. SO elegant and classic. Here's a pic of it:

lovegrace

JuZ jUz
Sep 8, 2010
IMO, I would prefer patent cuz it looks younger, I love patent. If you worry abt the color trasfer, how abt choosing the black patent.

karman

Crazy Cat Lady
O.G.
Aug 19, 2006
Canada
^ Ohhh what a great suggestion! I think Chanel has really nice black patent. For the wallet I posted above, I was seriously contemplating getting the black patent but figured the caviar would hold more since patent is a little stiffer.

amstevens714

Livingthecasuallife
O.G.
Oct 4, 2009
I definitely prefer caviar. I think patent can look cheap, but that is obviously just personal preference. When caviar leather is well moistened, there is no doubt that it is beautiful Chanel leather, but with patent, I feel like it is so easy to fake with man made materials, that its hard to tell the quality. I am sure this is more detail then you need. For me, my wallet collection includes a caviar compact and an LV zcp among others (i like smaller bags and need smaller wallets :smile: ). GL with your decision! (p.s. I also have a caviar medallion and love it!)