Patent Leather

Valkrie

O.G.
Jun 17, 2007
I have never owned a Coach patent leather handbag. I purchased Katrina paparika. My concern is how well does this leather hold up? Is it easy to care for and does the shiney part wear off?

I only have 1 patent bag, a large camel sophia. The leather has held up beautifully so far but I am careful with it to avoid color transfer, which, in my limited experience, can be a problem with patent. I don't let it brush up against potentially problematic clothing, don't let it sit against anything that could bleed onto it, and I store it (and all my coach bags) lovingly in its dust bag in the box it came in. So IMO if you take reasonable care with it, it should last you a long while :smile:

I have never owned a Coach patent leather handbag. I purchased Katrina paparika. My concern is how well does this leather hold up? Is it easy to care for and does the shiney part wear off?

I have patent Coach bags and they hold up well. The shiny is a lacquer and does not wear off. Some of the newer patent leather is thinner and more prone to wrinkles. Some are even labeled as crinkled patent. They are easy to care for. I suggest storing in a dust bag and avoid scratching and prolonged contact with transferrable colors.

I have patent Coach bags and they hold up well. The shiny is a lacquer and does not wear off. Some of the newer patent leather is thinner and more prone to wrinkles. Some are even labeled as crinkled patent. They are easy to care for. I suggest storing in a dust bag and avoid scratching and prolonged contact with transferrable colors.

What would be considered transferable colors?

I have a LOT of patent bags which I've owned for years. So far, so good. No shine loss, no trouble with color transfer (though most of my bags are bold or dark colors- I bet you won't have any trouble w/paprika. I have a coral patent Zoe that looks similar to this paprika, and I've never had trouble).

I know light patent tends to yellow with time, but have found that my camel patent bags (MSB, sabrina) have aged extremely well as long as they're kept in their white dust bags and out of light (both in closets).

I have an older bag with the crinkled patent. I had a little piece that chipped off, but I think that could have happened on a leather bag too. I learned that nail polish isn't a good idea. I just colored in the spot with marker and it isn't noticeable.
Recently I got a plum patent Sophia. I love it. I have carried it for several months without any damage. The only thing that I notice is that it starts looking cloudy and I have to wipe it. I am wondering if this is from the cold. I prefer the smooth patent over the crinkled patent.
I have never had color transfer. Color transfer is most likely if you store a patent bag touching another bag. Supposedly dark colors from your clothes can stain your bag, but it seems like this would be more likely with a less shiny kind of leather.