Patek Philippe Calatrava but it is ....Quartz?

pmptrading

Apr 17, 2008
Hello,
I just got a Patek Philippe 3944 Calatrava......:smile:

This is the Quartz model from the mid 90s....:tdown:

Most people have not heard of Patek.... but those you have say "WHY DID YOU GET THE QUARTZ MODEL?":wlae:

Patek is famous for it hand made watches.... especially the mechanical ones..... The quartz watch is the usuall Rolls Royce standard......

BUT .... at the end of the day it is QUARTZ.....

I bought the watch used.... but it was very fair for a patek..... about US$5,000-

Opinions please.... should I keep or sell....;)

Attachments

• pat1a.JPG
    pat1a.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,507
  • pat1b.JPG
    pat1b.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,627
  • pat1e.JPG
    pat1e.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,710
  • pat1f.JPG
    pat1f.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,676
  • pat1i.JPG
    pat1i.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,669
From what I know ( which is not much) Patek are a super high end watch. My Dad had the blue one which is is the most recognizable but I can't remember the name. I would keep it.

I think for the price, I would keep it. Patek Philippe is a very prestigious watch manufacture. I normally like to purchase automatics, but a Patek quartz is still worth more than many automatics on the market now. I suppose the only problem with quartz watches is that eventually the movements have to be completely replaced after many (probably 20+) years of use whereas an automatic movement can always be repaired and (theoretically) last forever. Nonetheless, I am pretty sure Patek quartz movements are made within house just as their automatics and can always be serviced through them.

I would keep it. It's a beautiful watch and a classic.

Diana

It seems that you have doubts about the quartz! But the price is good.

The purely mechanical watches of Patek are more valuable in the used market than the Quartz ones.

I personally prefer the purely mechanical Patek watches but that's just my opinion.

With Patek's,the quartz models don't usually have a second hand.Plus if the second hand sweeps more than ticks,its auto.
Its normally the ladies watches that are quartz with Patek,and as its ladies who tend to pick style over movement that buy Pateks,they leave off the second hand so it doesn't have the giveaway on its movement.That said,their quartz watches are incredible,and have more moving parts than any other quartz movement.

The watch is gorgeous! Pateks hold their value incredibly well. The women's Calatrava models are almost all quartz movements. About thirty years ago, chronometer watches were the golden standard, but as more modern quartz technologies etc. came about, chronometer watches are not labeled as the ONLY good watches anymore. The Calatrava isn't a complicated watch, so unless you want to pay ~3x more for more sophisticated movements, quartz movements will be pretty much the only ones found.

Cheers!