Pastel BV?

Phiomega

O.G.
Aug 19, 2012
For those of you who owned beautiful pastel/light colored BVs, can you share your honest experience? I am quite tempted by dusty rose but I need my bags to be rather fool proofed given my lifestyle at the moment. To-date I owned three light colored bags and all of them are either saffiano or canvas --- a Prada Saffiano dove grey, white saffiano Kate spade, and white/orange LC.

how do these colors stand the test of time? how easy it is to maintain? any tips and tricks?

I adore colors with a dusty undertone and dusty rose to me, looks gorgeous and I am pretty sure you can work it with your wardrobe as it is such a soft wearable color. I had the Mallow small Iron for a very short while and although I have had no accidents with it, I felt I had to be extra careful in terms of where I set it down, grubby little fingers of my little man and being extra careful with it whenever I am on crowded public transport. As much as I like the color and as much as the bag is functional for me, I decided to rehome it solely because I have to be so mindful about the possibility of dirtying it and I am not sure how to clean it since it is such a delicate color. My SA always tells me not to pre-treat the leather with leather protectant so I have done nothing for my BVs. I do know of some ladies sending their BVs to a professional service for leather protection service though. For me, I have found that darker colors work best for me and I can carry it with ease of mind but of course, that is me. If you are carefree, then I am positive that you will enjoy the color very much. PicsArt_03-06-10.56.00.jpg

Reactions: Phiomega
For those of you who owned beautiful pastel/light colored BVs, can you share your honest experience? I am quite tempted by dusty rose but I need my bags to be rather fool proofed given my lifestyle at the moment. To-date I owned three light colored bags and all of them are either saffiano or canvas --- a Prada Saffiano dove grey, white saffiano Kate spade, and white/orange LC.

how do these colors stand the test of time? how easy it is to maintain? any tips and tricks?

Dusty Rose is not that light. I think it's more about the style. I owned a Banane Pillow and I got so nervous when I used it and I hated that I-would-mess-it-up feeling so I sold it. I have owned a New Sand Iron, New Sand Bella and a Mist medium Rete Tote since then and I can use them without worrying. I wear dark denim most of the time so for me, as long as the light-colored bags are not crossbody style, they are good.

ETA: I don't have kids so for that department, I would listen to frenziedhangbag ;) I owned a medium Watteau Veneta and sold it - love the color but needed a bigger one. I think Dusty Rose is somewhere in between Watteau and Mallow.

I agree with J in terms of style. I contemplated with getting the Olimpia in Mallow but I do wear jeans and color transfer was constantly bugging me. Thus, the small Iron eventually. For you, Phio, I recall that you are eyeing the medium Veneta in Dusty Rose or Barolo. If I am guessing how you like to use your bags, I know you will like it to be both workplace appropriate as well as good for weekends, kids outings. It is not the easiest decision for BV when it comes to color choices. BV does colors so well. I am keen to see what color you will choose eventually. Have fun deciding. [emoji4]

Just remembered this... a friend recently got the Bella in Camel and she is totally carefree about it, with her two young kids and always out and about. What is interesting is her husband constantly worries about the kids dirtying the bag or whether it is raining whenever she is carrying the bag.

I have a Sloane in Aurora, ivory-cream-condensed milk beige. My very first BV :smile:
I tell you honestly - i baby it, i would rather sit down on the floor and hold it on my laps than put it down on a not-so-clean surface. I love it to bits and will never part with it, and i do wear it. It gets slightly dirty on the inner corners, the ones that rub against my body/clothes, but after use i wash it with mild soap lather, quickly and gently, and looks perfect again :smile: here are pix after use and before wash

Attachments

• IMG-20170306-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20170306-WA0002.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG-20170306-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20170306-WA0001.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG-20170306-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170306-WA0000.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 381
Thanks @frenziedhandbag, @BV_LC_poodle and @ ksuromax!

You all made me think.

A. Indeed dusty rose is not as pale as some others, so that is good.

B. Definitely not cross body --- like frenzied, I wear a lot of jeans.

C. I think I will still baby it though I am mostly carefree... it is a BV after all!

Then the question becomes, should I try something small first to try (like frenzied' iron) before Veneta? I supposed there is no small Bella in dusty rose....

Thanks @frenziedhandbag, @BV_LC_poodle and @ ksuromax!

You all made me think.

A. Indeed dusty rose is not as pale as some others, so that is good.

B. Definitely not cross body --- like frenzied, I wear a lot of jeans.

C. I think I will still baby it though I am mostly carefree... it is a BV after all!

Then the question becomes, should I try something small first to try (like frenzied' iron) before Veneta? I supposed there is no small Bella in dusty rose....
Something small is good from the point of view of denim transfer, but will it work for you functionally?? Do you carry small bags?

Last edited:
Phio, Ksuromax made a good point.

The small Iron's capacity is not that small though. It can easily fit a long wallet, card case, key pouch, cosmetic case, small umbrella and a small bottle of water. An 8 inch tablet can fit too.

Last edited:
This is a great point indeed. No point getting a small bag that does not get a lot of use.

I do use small bags but usually with long strap and cannot be too small, e.g. Loewe small puzzle works because of its boxy shape, also Fendi By the way. Frenzied and BV_LC's note comforted me on the capacity, but I think I need to try myself --- I never have a small bag that is shoulder-carry.

You girls are really awesome advisors! Thank you!

I have a Mallow large Veneta. The online photos of Dusty Rose look the same to me, but I guess they must be different somehow.

Anyway, I haven't had any issues with my bag looking dirty. Only the underside of the shoulder strap and the very bottom corners have had to be wiped clean. I don't baby it, but I don't treat it roughly, either. I'd never put it on the floor, but I carry it with my one-year-old daughter, and I've used it extensively on public transit and on an overseas trip involving planes, trains, buses, and automobiles. :smile:

I think the dusty tone of the Mallow helps. It's not that light and I wouldn't consider it a pastel color. Also, the weave pattern of the leather creates texture and shadows, so imperfections are less noticeable.

Enjoy your decision-making!

I agree with what has been said about Mallow - not dirt prone at all.

I have had a cream and a powder pink veneta (forget the BV names, sorry), and I had to sell them after less than a year because they became if not dirty then a bit greyish in a certain light,especially around the handles. I sold them, before it became a problem.

I do think it depends on both type of leather and model of bag. I love the pastels, but I will not get a Veneta in a pastel, because I now know that I will get the handles smudged, and I don't like that. Even as I enjoy (or live with) the patina on my darker BV's.....