Passing down H items

kenzie1980

Patina in progress
Feb 14, 2008
It warms my heart every time I read about mothers giving their H bags and other items to their daughters. There's something so romantic about passing these treasures through the generations, from woman to woman, so that the recipient can add her own history as she wears them.

Do you plan to do this? Do your daughters know? Do they appreciate it? For those of you (like me) who do not have younger female relatives, what do you hope will happen to your well-loved H items in the distant future?

Last edited:
I don't have any children yet but it's absolutely my intention if I'm fortunate enough to have a girl. If not then I'd see if a museum might be interested in them or even a friends daughter

If I have a daughter she will get them when I pass away. If I don't have a daughter then I will pass them on to a daughter-in-law or a granddaughter or a niece.

But no one gets them until I am gone. I can't bear to part with them before that time!:P

I have two gorgeous teenage sons, and 1 step son (21) and one step daughter (19).
Really I cant see any one wanting my H bags and goodies.
I guess it will all get added to my so called estate!!!
Shared out between them all.

ABSOLUTELY!!

This is the one and only reason that I use to justify spending $$$ on Birkins. (Come on, who am I fooling? At least it makes me feel better - telling myself that I am doing it for my DD :heart: :nuts: :heart:)

My daughter is 7 1/2 years old and she totally knows that she will be getting my H goods one day. I told her that she cannot sell them though.

I think I told her just yesterday, "You'll thank me one day." and she said, "Thanks Mom!"

I don't have children, but my husband has two nieces. Its likely they will inherit them--if they are in any order to be handed down. I'm sort of hard on my bags and I really use and love them--so whether or not they will make it another 80+ years (I'm extremely optimistic) remains to be seen!

Absolutely, my daughter (now 18) will ultimately inherit my 35 red chevre kelly bag, and any other hermes bag I acquire! In fact, she was present during that purchase 5 years ago, remembers it vividly, and still talks about that day as well as her admiration for that particular bag!

I love the romance of Hermes too. You can't say that about too many designers these days -- everything is based on the disposable mentality. The allure of Chanel comes close, and I was fortunate enough as a teenager to be able to dip into my aunt's Chanel closet, but I just don't feel that Chanel has the history of Hermes. That's a personal view, of course.

I don't have children but I'd like to think that if I do have a daughter, she'll inherit my by-then extensive (in my dreams -- indulge me for a bit, ladies! :sweatdrop:) but elegant and well-edited Hermes collection.

If it happens that I don't have children, I'm not sure what to do with the collection. Perhaps they'll go to my brother's daughter(s), if he has any. :shrugs:

This is an interesting thread, kenzie. Thanks for starting this.

If possible, I'd like to give my two cents. I am, in this case, the daughter. My Mum has a few H bags, Birkins and Kellies and a few others. She has told my sister and I that one day, they and all of her other bags and anything else in her closet will be ours. I truly respect and appreciate how she takes care of her little gems and to make sure that every bag is as mint as possible for us later to enjoy.

I'm currently 20 and as I speak (or type) I have not received a bag for or on my own (i.e. one that's fresh off the box and personally mine) and have always been using my Mum's hand-me-downs (well, she lets me 'borrows' them and I always have to return them to the cabinet once I'm done using her bags:P). I have never thought this as something to be ashamed of and as a matter of fact, I really enjoy carrying them as I understand each bag holds a special place in her heart. And until today, I would still carry her bags in all honour:heart:

So, as the daugther, I'd truly appreciate her H items that would be passed down to me and would try to care for them as well as she does (for my offsprings!). After all, Mum's the one who has taught me the grace, value and beauty of Hermes bags and other H items:heart:

Oh no... I'll stop ranting now. And for all of the mothers out there (or not), I hope that your daugthers, sisters, grandaughters, cousins, nieces etc would treasure the H items that you've passed down!;)

hermes-drooler, I think you are very lucky to have a Mum who owns Hermes. You sound like someone who really appreciates and looks after your Mum's bags and there is nothing to be ashamed of, borrowing is cool! I have a little son and a god-daughter at present so unless there is a daughter in my future, I think my H will go to DIL or god-daughter.