Parting with your first offered birkin

HKsai

Jul 24, 2016
Hi ladies and gents. I got my first birkin offer. It is a B30 in Epsom and bleu electrique. I’m in this dilemma and I hope I make sense. This is in my mind the holy grail bag because B30 is the perfect size for me (I use a speedy B30) to use daily and bleu electrique is my favorite color of all Hermes colors. The thing is I was planning to get a completely different B because I’m a guy. I’ve been always planning to get a B35 in neutral colors because that would look the most appropriate for me. I probably need some of you gals to tell me to not get something that’s not practical (look wise) for me. What are you guys’ experiences on turning away your first offer B???

Reactions: rainypop
How tall are you? Unless you're a really short guy, I'd say bigger is better. I know it's difficult but, hold out for what you want especially since what you want should be even easier to get than what you've been offered. Larger sizes seem to be easier to get currently so being offered a B30 is a great sign. I suspect you'll be getting the call for a B35 very soon.

Reactions: lulilu
Get the bleu electrique if you love it. If you can make it work, then to heck with practical. I am a guy too, and I love Birkin 30s. Does it make your heart sing? Is it your holy grail? Then get it.

This isn’t likely the advice you want to hear, but passing a holy grail that makes you sing with joy is the wrong decision. Practicality be damned.

I feel your pain. At my FSH appointment, I turned down a B35 Togo in Rouge Casaque / PHW because it was too big for my purposes. I'm 5'0 and prefer smaller bags. It still breaks my heart a little to think about 'what if it's my only offer' but I know it was the right decision. GHW may have made it a little harder, but my main dealbreaker was the size.

Do you have budgets to allow 2 bags right now? Eg if you grab the B30 and they call you the next day saying there’s a neutral B35 waiting, are you able to grab it too?
I was offered something (not B/k) in the very sought after etoupe but I wanted gold or something similar to it, so I grabbed what I initially wanted, even the SA was slightly surprised, but don’t get distracted! I’m still very happy with my choice

So I would suggest wait for your B35

Reactions: fabuleux
Hi ladies and gents. I got my first birkin offer. It is a B30 in Epsom and bleu electrique. I’m in this dilemma and I hope I make sense. This is in my mind the holy grail bag because B30 is the perfect size for me (I use a speedy B30) to use daily and bleu electrique is my favorite color of all Hermes colors. The thing is I was planning to get a completely different B because I’m a guy. I’ve been always planning to get a B35 in neutral colors because that would look the most appropriate for me. I probably need some of you gals to tell me to not get something that’s not practical (look wise) for me. What are you guys’ experiences on turning away your first offer B???

I think the right answer is in your very question!! “This is in my mind the holy grail bag”—all that matters is what this bag is to YOU! If you love the size and it makes your heart sing, I agree with everyone! Do it! IF you are taking it just because it was the first one and you would rather it be a B35, then wait! My SA has said the same thing - B35 way easier to get right now.

I think the right answer is in your very question!! “This is in my mind the holy grail bag”—all that matters is what this bag is to YOU! If you love the size and it makes your heart sing, I agree with everyone! Do it! IF you are taking it just because it was the first one and you would rather it be a B35, then wait! My SA has said the same thing - B35 way easier to get right now.
+1 totally agree.

Reactions: HKsai
How tall are you? Unless you're a really short guy, I'd say bigger is better. I know it's difficult but, hold out for what you want especially since what you want should be even easier to get than what you've been offered. Larger sizes seem to be easier to get currently so being offered a B30 is a great sign. I suspect you'll be getting the call for a B35 very soon.

I’m 5’7”. I think 35 would look more proportionate to my body but again for everyday 30 is more than enough for me. :S

I really wouldn’t get something just because of appropriateness. I would get something what my heart desires. If the B30 in blue electric makes your heart skip, then get it. I have one (though in clemence) and I think it would look equally fab on a girl and a guy.
Sorry, I didn’t exactly answer your question.:angel:

One thing I realized the more research I do is that Epsom B has more corner wear. This is a bummer because I actually don’t mind pressed leather because it has more structure I might wait and look for a Togo or Clemence B.

I’m 5’7”. I think 35 would look more proportionate to my body but again for everyday 30 is more than enough for me. :S

One thing I realized the more research I do is that Epsom B has more corner wear. This is a bummer because I actually don’t mind pressed leather because it has more structure I might wait and look for a Togo or Clemence B.

Hi! I have a 35B in epsom and in blue electric and I use it hard. I do not baby my bags at all. And I have no corner wear. I will say that blue electric in epsom is gorgeous - epsom takes colour beautifully.

Reactions: acrowcounted
How do you normally dress? An important factor that hasn’t been mentioned is your personal style and making sure that this B really complements your attire. After all, even if you love a bag, if you can’t see it going with any outfits in your wardrobe you’re probably never going to use it. Generally bags should enhance rather than detract from whatever you are wearing.

I realize that everyone has different approaches to how they match their wardrobe, but my policy is that if something does not match at least 50% of my current wardrobe, I cannot buy it. Of course, this is assuming that 1) you like your current wardrobe and don’t plan to overhaul it and 2) you wouldn’t rather rebuild your entire wardrobe around this new bag.

Hi! I have a 35B in epsom and in blue electric and I use it hard. I do not baby my bags at all. And I have no corner wear. I will say that blue electric in epsom is gorgeous - epsom takes colour beautifully.

Omg that’s really good to know! Do you think I can see some pictures? Either through here or PM?

How do you normally dress? An important factor that hasn’t been mentioned is your personal style and making sure that this B really complements your attire. After all, even if you love a bag, if you can’t see it going with any outfits in your wardrobe you’re probably never going to use it. Generally bags should enhance rather than detract from whatever you are wearing.

I realize that everyone has different approaches to how they match their wardrobe, but my policy is that if something does not match at least 50% of my current wardrobe, I cannot buy it. Of course, this is assuming that 1) you like your current wardrobe and don’t plan to overhaul it and 2) you wouldn’t rather rebuild your entire wardrobe around this new bag.

I never really thought about that. My work self is super different than my normal self. My work self is usually jcrew chinos with a lot of neutral or plaid polos/tshirt/button up. My off work self is a lot of bright prints/pattern, oversized top. The thing is that I probably won’t use my B daily because I work in a hospital and a lot of people come in and out. I don’t trust my B around other people. The sad part is that then I only get to use the B like twice a week...if not less :/ the dilemma continues.

Omg that’s really good to know! Do you think I can see some pictures? Either through here or PM?

I never really thought about that. My work self is super different than my normal self. My work self is usually jcrew chinos with a lot of neutral or plaid polos/tshirt/button up. My off work self is a lot of bright prints/pattern, oversized top. The thing is that I probably won’t use my B daily because I work in a hospital and a lot of people come in and out. I don’t trust my B around other people. The sad part is that then I only get to use the B like twice a week...if not less :/ the dilemma continues.

Hi! I’m at my cottage for the weekend and only have my black Ardennes birkin with me - but can send you a pic Sunday evening if you can wait [emoji16] you won’t be disappointed with an epsom BE birkin.