PART 2 Come join the 50-ish-plus Club! (age, not # of bags)

Brag post alert. I have never pulled a large trailer for any distance but that’s all changing today. I need to get hubby’s 1958 Willy’s Jeep out of our shop and so I am bringing it up to our cabin. We will unload the Jeep and load up the Kubota tractor which I am bringing home to sell.

Mike completely restored his Jeep and he was very proud of it! Someday our son will drive it. It needs a little work and he has to learn how to drive a manual.

If you would have told me what I’d be doing this summer, I’d never have believed it. I am learning I am capable of more than I imagined. 709938B5-31F0-4BDB-9BAC-4B92A135F4FF.jpeg
Lol, we stopped at Menards to meet up with other family members who are joining us at the cabin and this little beauty caught a few guys’ eye while we waited.

Brag post alert. I have never pulled a large trailer for any distance but that’s all changing today. I need to get hubby’s 1958 Willy’s Jeep out of our shop and so I am bringing it up to our cabin. We will unload the Jeep and load up the Kubota tractor which I am bringing home to sell.

Mike completely restored his Jeep and he was very proud of it! Someday our son will drive it. It needs a little work and he has to learn how to drive a manual.

If you would have told me what I’d be doing this summer, I’d never have believed it. I am learning I am capable of more than I imagined. View attachment 4135641
Lol, we stopped at Menards to meet up with other family members who are joining us at the cabin and this little beauty caught a few guys’ eye while we waited.
:ghi5: Good for you, CDM! Just look at you pulling that big honking trailer... I am absolutely in awe! :ps:

If you would have told me what I’d be doing this summer, I’d never have believed it. I am learning I am capable of more than I imagined. View attachment 4135641
Go for it, girl!!!!!!!

Omigosh! Good for you! :tup:

Reactions: can_do_mom

How cool is that for DS? Ride 'em cowboy :biggrin:

CDM I am in awe of your power and resiliency! You certainly have a lot going on both at home and at work.

Hi All, I just need to vent for a moment! I’m currently undergoing an experimental treatment to save my eyesight due to a rare autoimmune disease. I was told yesterday by my employer of 11 years that I would have to take a pay cut when I’m completely blind! I guess I am worth less to them as a blind person.... I understand now why 70% of blind adult do not work in the US!! Thanks for listening!

Hi All, I just need to vent for a moment! I’m currently undergoing an experimental treatment to save my eyesight due to a rare autoimmune disease. I was told yesterday by my employer of 11 years that I would have to take a pay cut when I’m completely blind! I guess I am worth less to them as a blind person.... I understand now why 70% of blind adult do not work in the US!! Thanks for listening!
That certainly doesn’t sound right to me!

It seems as though they should figure out a way to accommodate you. So sorry to hear this.

Omigosh! I hope the treatment goes well and saves your vision. :heart:

Cutting an employee's pay because of deteriorating vision is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. I'm surprised your boss even said that to you. You can file a complaint with, I believe, your state's Equal Opportunities Commission or the equivalent, although whether they will actually do anything is anyone's guess. It's hard to get anyone to enforce ADA violations. Lawyers won't take up the cause unless it's a slam-dunk and the employer has deep pockets and a propensity to settle lawsuits quickly.

DH went blind from a genetic disorder and was pushed out of his job of many years. Sadly we learned the ADA is toothless in most employment matters. He eventually landed an absolutely fantastic job but there were a lot of really humiliating job interviews along the way and a general sense of despair. That was years ago. Since then he's been lucky enough to have wonderfully supportive employers and coworkers. People who are supportive of the blind and open-minded about their capabilities are definitely out there. You just gotta find them. It can be tough, but good people with open minds are out there.

Are you a member of any support groups for the blind? DH is active in several, including the local National Federation of the Blind chapter. There are some really amazing people in these groups who do amazing things. They're wonderful sources of advice and support. He's also active in several sports groups for the blind.

In fact as I write this I'm taking a break from getting the house and food ready for a Braille Scrabble-and-poker party. :drinks:

In the past there were several women active on TPF who were blind. Don't know if they're still around. You might post in the health or general forum.

I hope the treatment goes well! Don't give up the good fight! :heart:

Hi BigPurse Sue, I am a member of the National Federation of the Blind and I am still reeling from this information! I appreciate the information about your husband’s employment struggles and success. I am learning Braille and educating myself about the technology that will help me stay employable. I will see if I can link up with other TFP members as you suggested.