Travel Parking in Washington DC on a Saturday?

liz4382

Jul 6, 2009
Any advice for parking in DC on a Saturday? We are not planning to arrive until 11 am or noon. We want to visit the Natural History Museum, Air and Space, and the National Christmas tree. Heard we can park at Union Station and then take the Circulator Bus for $1, do you think there will be spots open there? Are we crazy to try and find a parking spot rather than take the metro?

I would try to find a parking garage somewhere else and then either take a taxi or the metro (or walk if you're close enough) to the National Mall. I have had no luck parking near the National Mall, except when I went with my grandmother as a kid and that's because she had a handicapped sticker. There's no parking. Every time I've tried I wasted an hour just looking for a non existent parking space.

^I second the suggestion to try to find a parking garage or take the Metro. Since the government office buildings aren't in use on the weekends, you may find a paring spot there. We used the Reagan Office building once. Otherwise park somewhere that you can take the Metro. DC has the worst parking of any major city I've ever been in.

You might be able to find street parking, but there is a three-hour limit and you might have a long walk. Snow is also in the forecast for the weekend, and that will really muck up the streets as well. Parking at the Union Station garage and riding the DC Circulator will be a far better option.

I was always able to find parking right on Constitution Ave, within 15 minutes of driving around, even in summertime. :smile: Also, there is a parking lot right in front of the Capitol, and as far as I know it's free on the weekends.