Parisian girls flawless makeup. Their secret?

I think it's 50% stereotype, 50% truth. Certainly, not all French women are skinny and not all have great skin. Just like not all New Yorkers are well dressed.

Retinoid, sunscreen, and proper diet are the only things that have been proven to have much effect on skin. Unfortunately, genetics also plays a big part in how good one's skin will be. But I think a lot of French pharamaceutical lines - Avibon, Bioderma, Avene, La Roche Posay, Vichy, as well as Clarins - are miles better than the North American counterparts.

I don't think their have neither flawless make up nor perfect skin.
They are normal women just like anyone.

There is a legend though about their flawless beauty and style. But it's just a legend ;)

I think it's 50% stereotype, 50% truth. Certainly, not all French women are skinny and not all have great skin. Just like not all New Yorkers are well dressed.

Retinoid, sunscreen, and proper diet are the only things that have been proven to have much effect on skin. Unfortunately, genetics also plays a big part in how good one's skin will be. But I think a lot of French pharamaceutical lines - Avibon, Bioderma, Avene, La Roche Posay, Vichy, as well as Clarins - are miles better than the North American counterparts.

^ ITA with this...I use Avibon & products by Avene...they are meant for long term skin health rather than the hype of 'look twenty years younger instantly' that we are blasted with daily here in the US...my derm told me it may not be evident now but to look at my girlfriends when I'm 50 and it will be obvious who has been using what...it will be interesting to see!

Agree here... there is a derm around who is not telling their patients

that sunblock is the most essential product to use on your skin..

Lifestyle, foods, exercise also contribute to having good skin

Stress, smoking & drinking don't.... and certainly a good skin regimen

is also important...

I have often wondered how they do it! I am french acadian, which is a mixture of french, and indian, and I am always being carded (at 27, 28 in August) people are always asking me how I have such clear creamy skin. My answer is NO smoking, drinking lots of water, and NO TANNING. Tanning is really bad for you. I avoid sunning like the plague. It must be somewhat genetic though, because my mother is knocking on 60's door and people have NO clue! Haha

i watched several french makeup video and i see some difference:
primer consist of moisturizer and sunscreen
when they put foundation, they warm the product on their hands and apply like a massage all over their face
even though the foundation doesn't cover every imperfection, they don't mind
if you do use a concealer that provide good coverage on under eye circle and imperfections, at least put some powder on it
and put translucent powder
and some blush!

some eat vitamins (brewer's yeast tablets, victamin c) to have good skin, some use organic product

for their hair, it's shampoo, conditionner, hair mask, shine serum, etc...

it's looked natural. the makeup didn't look cakey and they don't apply foundation all over their face. only areas to unify their skintone. there's this l'oreal foundation routine that's a good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzxwpp_uXW0&feature=plcp

It takes discipline--sunblock every day, washing your face every night (no matter how tired you might be!), and budgeting $$ for skincare treatments and products with long-term payoff instead of ongoing expenditures on new, seasonal colors from every brand.

It seems like French, and other European women do think in terms of long-term maintenance of both their face and body. They tend to invest in quality products, stick to a regular regimen and many do treatments - facials, massage, endermologie, mesotherapy and other therapies which aren't that great at the "quick, I want to look great for my reunion" but over the years may help the skin age with grace.

Not just Parisienne but a lot of European girls I grew up with were raised with the idea that "the skin needs to breathe" and their goal was to get their skin as nice as possible so to avoid wearing foundation if at all possible. (Why some of them continue to smoke cigarettes is still a mystery to me!)

Pazdzernika said:
Not just Parisienne but a lot of European girls I grew up with were raised with the idea that "the skin needs to breathe" and their goal was to get their skin as nice as possible so to avoid wearing foundation if at all possible. (Why some of them continue to smoke cigarettes is still a mystery to me!)

Yet they are also rumored to spend a ton on skincare?