Travel PARIS tips - questions - advice!

Chanbal

Aug 18, 2012
Shipping my LV purchases back to USA/California?

Our trip is 3 weeks, first stop Paris, Southern France, then into Italy. I don't want my purchases stolen.
Will the LV store ship my packages home? or what are your thoughts?
Yes, they usually do. You may also be able to have your items available at the LV store in the last city you visit in Europe. Though, I never had a problem with purchases stollen in Europe.

Reactions: MeepMeep67

wlee917

O.G.
Jul 20, 2012
Hello all,

I will be traveling to London in a week for business and is thinking whether I should spend a weekend in Pairs but not sure it is safe or not to go since most protests are happening on the weekends? Any PF members in Paris now or recently and can share any suggestion on to go or not to go or whether the Chanel boutiques are open or close on Sat/Sun due to the riots? also, is it safe to check out the touristy spots? TIA!!!

Reactions: jtothelo

jtothelo

O.G.
Sep 2, 2006
My husband and I were there the first weekend of december, which was the first time the protest got out of hand, and it was all over the news, Champs Elysee was a warzone etc. We were in Paris from saturday-monday.
On the saturday where the protests were, we could see helicopters above Champs Elysee, but we just made sure to stay away from the Champs elysee and the areas around it (we went to marais and saint germain since thats where we normally live when we are in Paris, but you could also visit e.g. Montmatre). No problems at all.
The next day (sunday) we slowly started nearing the 1st Arrodisement (I really wanted to go to the Rue Cambon store to buy boots :P) but I feared that it would be closed. But the closer we got to Champs Elysee, we could see that everything was back to normal - all the stores were open, and the Champs Elysee looked like nothing had ever happened, with christmas lights and people shopping :whut: so weird to see when 12 hours before, it was a warzone!
But as a waiter at a restaurant told us “on saturday they protest, on sunday they take care of their hangovers :lol:

I would have no worries travelling there again during the protests.

Also, if the Rue Cambon store is closed saturday (and maybe galleries lafayette, they closed Galleries Lafayette when we were there, but I dont think the riots are as bad anymore as when we were there?) You could go to Le bon Marche, they also have Chanel and is located far from champs elysee. But as I mentioned, I dont think the riots are as bad as before.

Reactions: MeepMeep67

JolieS

Oct 24, 2016
Hello all,

I will be traveling to London in a week for business and is thinking whether I should spend a weekend in Pairs but not sure it is safe or not to go since most protests are happening on the weekends? Any PF members in Paris now or recently and can share any suggestion on to go or not to go or whether the Chanel boutiques are open or close on Sat/Sun due to the riots? also, is it safe to check out the touristy spots? TIA!!!
The demonstrations occur on Saturdays. Last Saturday was the 13th week of demonstrations. They say they’ll continue until May. There are fewer participants now, but the area of demonstrations has expanded from Champs-Elysées and République to the Left Bank around the Eiffel Tower and National Assembly. As long as you keep away from the demonstrators you’ll be safe. You just might get an occasional whiff of tear gas. Until now there has been little violence against persons, but rather against property. Cars are incinerated and shop windows smashed. The feeling in Paris on Saturdays is eery.
The risk you run is that your favourite boutiques and stores will be closed. Best to call ahead the day before to get their take on whether they’ll close for the day. Persoanally I’d avoid Paris on Saturday if possible. Just not pleasant.
Good luck!

MeepMeep67

Apr 21, 2016
My March trip to Paris, Im planning on shopping at LV. I will also be going to Rome for 5 days. How is the LV shopping there, and where is pricing better?

Yes, they usually do. You may also be able to have your items available at the LV store in the last city you visit in Europe. Though, I never had a problem with purchases stolen in Europe.
. it would be great to pick them up in Rome!

Pautinka

Apr 13, 2016
Hello all,

I head to Paris tomorrow for three days and am not worried in the slightest. Just avoid the areas where the gilets jaunes will be at the appropriate times. There is a Facebook page where they organise their activities which you may wish to check out to help you plan.
Screenshot_20190221-070246.jpg

bsprout

Jan 2, 2013
I couldn’t do my day trip to Paris from London this year. My Eurostar train back to London was canceled due to Brexit/customs delays. There were a lot of delays and canceled Eurostar trains last week. So bummed!!!
A friend was in Paris last week and said there were many road closures on the right bank; the left bank seems to be ok.

LVLoveaffair

Bagaholic
O.G.
Jul 16, 2009
I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago and there were so many tourists! If you plan on going, make sure to get advance tickets for all the sights you want to see. You can skip the line (except for security). There were so many people waiting on the lines and the day we went to the Louvre - it was sold out by 9 am. DH and I had a 10:30 am slot but they were nice enough to let us in a little early. I was also able to get Eiffel tower summit tickets - which usually sell out months in advance- by using my phone. It showed sold out on my laptop but availability on my phone. Go figure!

Reactions: uhpharm01

JolieS

Oct 24, 2016
How cold in Paris in the Winter and does everything close in the winter? thank you
Paris has a temperate climate, much like the Eastern Coast of the US. Winter is usually damp, which makes it feel colder than it really is. It is rare that the temperature gets below 5 C. Why don’t you check out a weather website to see historical averages for the months that interest you, and compare to your home area? That way you’ll get a good idea of what to expect and how it compares to what you’re familiar with.
You’ll probably feel most comfortable in a warm, weatherproof coat or jacket with hood, a scarf, boots, gloves, and a folding umbrella.
Paris is the most visited city in the world. It bustles at all seasons of the year.
Enjoy your trip!