Travel PARIS tips - questions - advice!

Hi everyone! I am headed to Paris next week and haven't been there since college (a longggg time ago) so am very excited. Since shopping is definitely on the agenda, does anyone have any recommendations for a store that is the equivalent of something like Barney's Co-op or Intermix? Le BHV? Printemps? Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure if you are still going, due to all of the events that just occurred, but like the other members mentioned, you are better off going to le Printemps; le Marais; or le Bon Marché if you want to avoid the crowds. Les Galeries are beatiful to see but it gets so crowded, that if you are going to go, you should get there right when they open. They even have an Alaia outlet right behind the BHV in le Marais if you are interested (I found out about it on the forum). It was so hot when I was there this summer that I couldn't bear to even try anything on.

there is so much evil in this world. My brothers best friend just got murdered, paris, Beirut, syria. there are so many sad and horrible things happening in this world. I just can´t understand why.
Paris is such a beautiful city. I loved being there. it´s such a tragic. I´m just glad not worse things happened this weekend. The terrorists planned this to be much worse.

I'm not sure if you are still going, due to all of the events that just occurred, but like the other members mentioned, you are better off going to le Printemps; le Marais; or le Bon Marché if you want to avoid the crowds. Les Galeries are beatiful to see but it gets so crowded, that if you are going to go, you should get there right when they open. They even have an Alaia outlet right behind the BHV in le Marais if you are interested (I found out about it on the forum). It was so hot when I was there this summer that I couldn't bear to even try anything on.

Thank you so much for the advice! We sadly had to postpone our trip because of all the horrific events (we were scheduled to fly over the day after everything happened). Part of me still wonders if we should have gone, to show support and unity, but the situation is still unfolding and I would imagine that the authorities would prefer that tourists stay home.

We will try again, when things settle a bit -- and I will look forward to using everyone's great tips. In the meantime, my heart goes out to everyone affected by this horrible tragedy.

I just returned from Paris. We were there during the attacks but were away from where they happened. It just seemed like a normal Friday night, then all of a sudden people's phones started buzzing like mad. As we approached our apartment (in the left bank) there were 5 - 6 heavily armed gendarmes on the corner. We heard sirens all night.

The next day most of the shops and all of the museums/monuments were closed. Most restaurants were open though along with some smaller galleries.

Yesterday's air travel experience flying through CDG going through 2E (US terminal): mobile check in will likely be impossible. We had no problems doing it on the way over. Now they want to see/check your passport multiple times. Lines move fairly fast once you have checked in. We got there and only had a few people in front of us; when we turned around a large queue had formed. Signs everywhere warn of delays. Our flight is on time but the gate changed at least 3X. To be on the safe side I would give at least 2.5 hours.

On our flight they specifically made an announcement stating that passengers were not allowed to congregate in groups. Armed security guards were on the air bridge outside our doors. There were additional armed customs officers who pulled aside certain people to check their passports before we even got to the customs area (it was pretty blatant that it was younger, brown males.) :sad:

I just returned from Paris. We were there during the attacks but were away from where they happened. It just seemed like a normal Friday night, then all of a sudden people's phones started buzzing like mad. As we approached our apartment (in the left bank) there were 5 - 6 heavily armed gendarmes on the corner. We heard sirens all night.

The next day most of the shops and all of the museums/monuments were closed. Most restaurants were open though along with some smaller galleries.

Yesterday's air travel experience flying through CDG going through 2E (US terminal): mobile check in will likely be impossible. We had no problems doing it on the way over. Now they want to see/check your passport multiple times. Lines move fairly fast once you have checked in. We got there and only had a few people in front of us; when we turned around a large queue had formed. Signs everywhere warn of delays. Our flight is on time but the gate changed at least 3X. To be on the safe side I would give at least 2.5 hours.

On our flight they specifically made an announcement stating that passengers were not allowed to congregate in groups. Armed security guards were on the air bridge outside our doors. There were additional armed customs officers who pulled aside certain people to check their passports before we even got to the customs area (it was pretty blatant that it was younger, brown males.) :sad:
Glad you made it home safely, Renee.

I just got off the phone with Travelocity and was able to postpone my trip to 12/7 now that AA expanded their change policy. Hopefully, by then the city will return to some semblance of normalcy and the good part is that I'll get to spend my birthday in Paris.

wow.
thanks for telling your story

Thank you so much for the advice! We sadly had to postpone our trip because of all the horrific events (we were scheduled to fly over the day after everything happened). Part of me still wonders if we should have gone, to show support and unity, but the situation is still unfolding and I would imagine that the authorities would prefer that tourists stay home.

We will try again, when things settle a bit -- and I will look forward to using everyone's great tips. In the meantime, my heart goes out to everyone affected by this horrible tragedy.
You are much better off going when things are calmer and more normal in Europe. I'm not sure where you live, but there are plenty of ways to show support in your local area too. I see people everywhere paying homage to the Parisians, which I think is heartwarming.

You are much better off going when things are calmer and more normal in Europe. I'm not sure where you live, but there are plenty of ways to show support in your local area too. I see people everywhere paying homage to the Parisians, which I think is heartwarming.

I agree -- it is really heartwarming. I live in Boston, where sadly we have had to deal with the horror of terrorism too. Everyone was so supportive of our city then, and it meant the world.

I agree -- it is really heartwarming. I live in Boston, where sadly we have had to deal with the horror of terrorism too. Everyone was so supportive of our city then, and it meant the world.
Wow, so the wounds are still very fresh for you too, and I you must really understand that for the police it's easier to get their work done with less tourists around.

I hope that when you do go you really get to experience the true Paris. By the way, one thing you should visit in the Galeries Lafayette is the shoe department in the lower level. That is worth visiting. It's a bit like the one at Bloomingdale's in NYC. An entire floor of designer shoes...although they do have lesser prices brands there too, but it's fun to walk through. They also have bathrooms down there (very difficult to find public bathrooms in France).:cool:

I do hope you go for your birthday!

A friend of mine wanted to cancel her trip next week but I feel like that means the terrorists win :sad:

I still love Paris so much and my heart is broken.

So glad you were safe and that you made it home safely also.

Now we have to very watchful here in NY too, but I won't stop going into the city every weekend because I'm not going to let fear stop me.

Thank you!

I live in Manhattan. I don't want to be afraid and I don't want hate to win.

I took this the day of the attacks. Love Locks.
❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 374
Wow, so the wounds are still very fresh for you too, and I you must really understand that for the police it's easier to get their work done with less tourists around.

I hope that when you do go you really get to experience the true Paris. By the way, one thing you should visit in the Galeries Lafayette is the shoe department in the lower level. That is worth visiting. It's a bit like the one at Bloomingdale's in NYC. An entire floor of designer shoes...although they do have lesser prices brands there too, but it's fun to walk through. They also have bathrooms down there (very difficult to find public bathrooms in France).:cool:

Thank you so much! An entire floor of shoes sounds almost as good as an entire floor of handbags... [emoji3]

I do hope you go for your birthday!

A friend of mine wanted to cancel her trip next week but I feel like that means the terrorists win :sad:

I still love Paris so much and my heart is broken.
Yep, I'm all booked and my last night in Paris is my 43rd birthday. So I'm planning to have dinner at Le Grand Colbert the restaurant that Diane Keaton went to for her bday in Something's Gotta Give (love that movie!). :tup: :biggrin: