Pants for those whose waist measurement does not = the hips!

fabae

O.G.
Jun 10, 2006
The search for pants is driving me mad! Pants seem to be made to fit the (rare?) woman whose waist measurement is equal to or larger than her hip measurement! Has anyone else noticed this?

I have about a 29" waist and 39" hips, so pants cut like that are huge in the waist and using a belt just makes a weird saggy crotch effect. Ew. I can no longer do low rise (3 kids!), so that option is out, too.

Has anyone come across a particular brand that appears to be cut for women and not straight, wooden boards? (No offense to you skinny gals! Y'all are lucky!) Thanks!

I have the same problem!

I have an almost 12 inch (30cm) difference between my hips and my waist and finding the right trousers is nearly impossible!!! I haven't found the right brand either so I would love to hear some suggestions too! ;)

I have a 24 inch waist and 36 inch hips.

All of my work pants have to be tailored. I usually buy Theory.

As for my jeans. I love Paige. They fit well. I have 2 kids and they don't seem too low cut. J Brand is also good and makes higher waisted jeans, but they run small.

Thanks for starting this thread - I'll definitely try any suggestions here, because I was starting to think this was hopeless! The Ralph Lauren Kelly jeans have some waist, but still not enough - hopefully the Paiges will be better!

I was watching What Not to Wear the other day, and they mentioned, as japskivt said, that you should buy pants to fit the widest part of you (usually hips), and have them tailored to fit your waist.

^ I saw that, and mentioned it to my mom who's been sewing for 50+ years. She says that it doesn't seem to her that it would be as easy an alteration as they say. If you think about it, it does make me wonder - I mean, you have to totally take off the waistband, size that, and then make the pants taper to a smaller size to match the new waistband. I'd hate to spend $100+ on a good pair of pants and then find out too late that the alteration is a disaster. Needless to say, I haven't tried that yet. I keep hoping that I'll find a brand that works!

This is me too...I buy jeans to fit my hips and take my jeans to the tailor to get the waist taken in. It makes everything cost a bit more, but I allows me to wear jeans with tight shirts without a belt (which does nothing but add bulk to my waist).

You'd be amazed how well jeans look once they are tailored to your body! Amazing!!!

^ I saw that, and mentioned it to my mom who's been sewing for 50+ years. She says that it doesn't seem to her that it would be as easy an alteration as they say. If you think about it, it does make me wonder - I mean, you have to totally take off the waistband, size that, and then make the pants taper to a smaller size to match the new waistband. I'd hate to spend $100+ on a good pair of pants and then find out too late that the alteration is a disaster. Needless to say, I haven't tried that yet. I keep hoping that I'll find a brand that works!

I agree that it doesn't look too simple, but the people on the show were making it seem like no big deal. You're right though, that alterations can be risky (and expensive).