Pantene Pro V?

Jun 14, 2007
So for years I have been using Curly Pantene Pro-V mouse and spritz gel for my crazy curly hair. Lately I've noticed its been irritating my scalp. I know its cheap, but it seems to have been the best to keep my curls under control. Lately, its been irritating my scalp. Does anyone else use this? Am I crazy for using it? What other products should I try for my curly hair? I need something to keep it under control! Thank you!

My hair is wavy, not curly, but I've had good luck with TIGI Curls Rock shampoo/conditioner and Jonathan Products Dirt Texturizing paste.

If you have a Trade Secret store near you, they should have travel size bottles of TIGI for pretty cheap. I think mine were only $1.99. The Jonathan stuff I got at Costco for ~$15 and it's lasted forever...

Are you sure it's the Pantene that's irritating your scalp. Have you been trying other different products? You mentioned that you have been using it for a while and it just recently started irritating your scalp.

i personally cant scrub my scalp everyday even though i have to do my hair everyday (super sensitive skin). i gently go over it when i wash my hair, but only scrub my scalp 1-2x a week. give it a try. your skin might just need a rest, esp with the change of weather

My hair is wavy, not curly, but I've had good luck with TIGI Curls Rock shampoo/conditioner and Jonathan Products Dirt Texturizing paste.

If you have a Trade Secret store near you, they should have travel size bottles of TIGI for pretty cheap. I think mine were only $1.99. The Jonathan stuff I got at Costco for ~$15 and it's lasted forever...

Curls Rock by TIGI is an excellent choice! I'll tell you what Pantene Pro-V contains....WAX! It's all wax and that is what is probably drying out your scalp. The wax is meant to make your hair appear shiny and soft but overtime these are the effects of it! Try using TIGI and see how you like it. :tup:

Jenarae, what do you recommend for shampoo and conditioner that is moisturizing but won't cause build-up over time?

I would suggest something like Biolage's Hydrating line Shampoo and Conditioning balm. It is very cleansing which won't cause any sort of build up and is hydrating to your scalp and hair. :tup:

Right now I'm using the clarifying Pantene and an Aussie conditioner. I haven't noticed an irritation so far. Someone else recommended Biolage; I know products work differently for different people but this Biolage thing (or, to be more precise, Curl Life by Matrix I think it's called), turned my hair into a huge knotted mess. Just my two cents! I have a lot of fine, curly hair which frizzes without proper moisture and this dried it out even more.

i've NEVER had a hair stylist that didn't absolutely CRINGE at the mention of Pantene. get some high-quality products - i really like all the Fekkai stuff that I've used, and they have a lot of different options. It's pricey, but you wear your hair every single day, so I think a quality shampoo is a worthy investment.