Paint? On Florentine.

BlazenHsss

Jun 11, 2015
So.....here's the story.
I was scrolling through TPF looking for a specific zip zip color, when I got caught up in everyone's old pictures of their Florentine satchels in grey, violet, crimson, ocean etc.

Ok. So I might have wandered into my closet to pull a few out and sniff them for a minute. You know, justify it to myself that I was "checking on them" because they might need a conditioning. Or something along those lines. (But mostly just to sniff and feel. Don't judge, I KNOW you all do it to!) :winkiss:

Anyway, the last bag I had used was my Buckley, and had just popped her on the shelf while I was furiously cleaning the house last week. So I was moving her to make room and saw THIS!!!! (Cue horrified gaping and a near fainting episode)

cry_zpsat4a8mqf.jpg

......I want to die. This is my favorite bag.
My favorite. I wish this bag was my fiance kind of favorite.
What do I do with this!?

:tdown: :nogood: :crybaby: :wtf: :death:

Last edited:
So.....here's the story.
I was scrolling through TPF looking for a specific zip zip color, when I got caught up in everyone's old pictures of their Florentine satchels in grey, violet, crimson, ocean etc.

Ok. So I might have wandered into my closet to pull a few out and sniff them for a minute. You know, justify it to myself that I was "checking on them" because they might need a conditioning. Or something along those lines. (But mostly just to sniff and feel. Don't judge, I KNOW you all do it to!) :winkiss:

Anyway, the last bag I had used was my Buckley, and had just popped her on the shelf while I was furiously cleaning the house last week. So I was moving her to make room and saw THIS!!!! (Cue horrified gaping and a near fainting episode) <br>

cry_zpsat4a8mqf.jpg

......I want to die. This is my favorite bag.
My favorite. I wish this bag was my fiance kind of favorite.
What do I do with this!?

:tdown: :nogood: :crybaby: :wtf: :death:
Oh Blaze, I totally get it. Must be a Buckley thing. I will have to tell you my story after we hear from the ladies on what to try.

Is it dried paint? Did you see if it will scrape off with a fingernail....very lightly test? I might even be brave enough to try to lift the paint away with an exacto blade. Risky yes. What about rubbing a little conditioner on a spot to see if it will loosen.

And btw, put some cardboard or white foamcore underneath those bags. You don't want the shelving to make any impressions into the leather. Best to be safe.

Last edited:
Oh Blaze, I totally get it. Must be a Buckley thing. I will have to tell you my story after we hear from the ladies on what to try.

Is it dried paint? Did you see if it will scrap off with a fingernail....very lightly test?
What about rubbing a little conditioner on a spot to see if it will loosen.

And btw, put some cardboard or white foamcore underneath those bags. You don't want the shelving to make any impressions into the leather. Best to be safe.
I'm too frightened to do anything except scream inside my head right now

I'm too frightened to do anything except scream inside my head right now
Stay calm woman. I say this having had a similar incident just this morning.
Alright, so here is my story....you are not alone.

I forgot to leave a check on the door for the oil man. Up at 5 a.m. and put the check on the door and decided I needed something to drink. Poured myself a nice cup of Strawberry Powerade. Headed back to bed and set my cup on the nightstand. Watched cup full of juice fall in slow motion off nightstand onto floor splashing Ms. Denim Buckley. Cue music from "Psycho" movie. :wtf::panic:
What do I do? Checked Dooney site on how to clean. Hmmm.

'Florentine leather has not been specifically treated for water repellency. Thus, the leather will temporarily darken when wet, and return to the original tone once completely dry. The waxed surface may assist in staving off some dirt.'

After seeing strawberry stains on Denim Buckley which looked liked grape juice I decided to wipe off with a wet sponge and see what happens. I used warm water and worked on the spots so that the wet covered the side of the bag. Then I waited. It dried and it looks like nothing happened. Thank God!!!!!!!!! Maybe having conditioned it prior helped or maybe that is the nature of the leather.

So I might try a couple of things on a teenie spot on the bottom of the bag to save Ms. Buckley.

Stay calm woman. I say this having had a similar incident just this morning.
Alright, so here is my story....you are not alone.

I forgot to leave a check on the door for the oil man. Up at 5 a.m. and put the check on the door and decided I needed something to drink. Poured myself a nice cup of Strawberry Powerade. Headed back to bed and set my cup on the nightstand. Watched cup full of juice fall in slow motion off nightstand onto floor splashing Ms. Denim Buckley. Cue music from "Psycho" movie. :wtf::panic:
What do I do? Checked Dooney site on how to clean. Hmmm.

'Florentine leather has not been specifically treated for water repellency. Thus, the leather will temporarily darken when wet, and return to the original tone once completely dry. The waxed surface may assist in staving off some dirt.'

After seeing strawberry stains on Denim Buckley which looked liked grape juice I decided to wipe off with a wet sponge and see what happens. I used warm water and worked on the spots so that the wet covered the side of the bag. Then I waited. It dried and it looks like nothing happened. Thank God!!!!!!!!! Maybe having conditioned it prior helped or maybe that is the nature of the leather.

So I might try a couple of things on a teenie spot on the bottom of the bag to save Ms. Buckley.
Ohhhhhhh my gosh!!!!! Did your heart stop? Just for a beat or two?
I'm glad you were quick on your feet to jump to action and save that Dooney!!
I haven't conditioned this Buckley yet, but I did spray it with Apple Garde.
I'll pick at the white shelf matter and slap some conditioner on the areas to see what I can do later tonight

Reactions: tellc2023
Ohhhhhhh my gosh!!!!! Did your heart stop? Just for a beat or two?
I'm glad you were quick on your feet to jump to action and save that Dooney!!
I haven't conditioned this Buckley yet, but I did spray it with Apple Garde.
I'll pick at the white shelf matter and slap some conditioner on the areas to see what I can do later tonight
Yes, heart stopped, get the paddles out.....clear! All I could see were dollar signs. Glad it's over.

Give us an update if it does not come out, I may have another idea.

Blaze and YD: we all know the feelings you have experienced. YD, glad you bag has come thru it's ordeal. Blaze, I think your bag will be fine. From your description the white 'paint' adhered to the bottom of the bag recently, and it was dry when it happened. So it's likely just on the surface.
I'd start with a cloth to see if you can gently rub it off. If not, some kind of leather cleaner or conditioner might contain something that would loosen the bond and let the paint flake away. Good luck. Don't panic and go slowly.

Blaze and YD: we all know the feelings you have experienced. YD, glad you bag has come thru it's ordeal. Blaze, I think your bag will be fine. From your description the white 'paint' adhered to the bottom of the bag recently, and it was dry when it happened. So it's likely just on the surface.
I'd start with a cloth to see if you can gently rub it off. If not, some kind of leather cleaner or conditioner might contain something that would loosen the bond and let the paint flake away. Good luck. Don't panic and go slowly.

I was thinking the same as you on conditioner to loosen it up. It may take a couple of gentle times to completely get it off.

Alright! Success. I scraped at it with my nail.
What didn't come off right away I hit with conditioner, and it flaked right off!
Good as new now!
Lesson learned, find something to line my shelves with. Sheesh.