Paid for an item, now seller refunded?

Aug 2, 2006
I paid for a MC speedy via paypal. Now 2 hours later, seller sends me the below via e-mail?

?Hello. I had to refund your money. Paypal has put a restriction on my account because of all my high amount Ebay sales. They will not allow me to withdraw my money until I send them a lot of my personal and financial information which I will not do. If you are still interested in the bag, you can send me a money order or we can do a bank transfer. If you do not want to complete the transaction, I understand. I just can't give all my personal and financial information to Paypal. I hope you understand. Let me know what you want to do. Thanks!?

Can paypal do this, not let someone take money out? Do you think its safe I send her a money order, or is this some sort of scam? Help as I would really like to purchase this bag. Ideas?

if she listed that she takes paypal then if you want to pay by pay, you should be allowed. and yes paypal does need all your info, but if i were you i would not trust her, she could be just trying to scam you. the bag also might have not have went off for the amount of money the lady wanted and she is hope that you will just go away so she does not have to sell it to you. by signing up with paypal they need alot of your info so they already have alot of her info so she already new this. goodluck

I just can't give all my personal and financial information to Paypal.
hmmm that's a little shady... is she a new seller ? i would agree not to send her payment via bank transfer or money order, if the bag is a fake or she doesn't send it to you, you have no way of getting your money back...

maybe shes up to no good and doesn't want to put in her bank account # to make her identifiable...

I know on my personal paypal account I have a withdrawal limit of $500, until I add a credit card, but I think as a seller you have to use a business account under ebay rules....

Paypal does that to people if they suddenly go from not selling much to selling and getting a large inflow of money (like expensive purses). This is normal, and I believe her. However, I'd rather not go through with the auction, and she seems to understand.

oh yeah i forgot to add, i think the only time they ask for other additional info (like your social etc.) is when you have a website and you need to use their shopping cart service ( i had to give them my social + A LOT of paperwork for this one) but it doesn't make sense if she had accepted payments via paypal in the past, and now has to stop because paypal needs for info. While I was submitting paperwork to paypal for my non-ebay related webssite, I was still able to send and receive funds through paypal no-problem...

^^ I think the seller was saying that paypal needed the seller's info to unfreeze her account. She didn't want to give her own info to paypal. Paypal does this to people, it doesn't seem shady to me.

I paid for a MC speedy via paypal. Now 2 hours later, seller sends me the below via e-mail?

?Hello. I had to refund your money. Paypal has put a restriction on my account because of all my high amount Ebay sales. They will not allow me to withdraw my money until I send them a lot of my personal and financial information which I will not do. If you are still interested in the bag, you can send me a money order or we can do a bank transfer. If you do not want to complete the transaction, I understand. I just can't give all my personal and financial information to Paypal. I hope you understand. Let me know what you want to do. Thanks!?

Can paypal do this, not let someone take money out? Do you think its safe I send her a money order, or is this some sort of scam? Help as I would really like to purchase this bag. Ideas?

Sounds fishy considering it's impossible to establish a PayPal account w/o first divulging financial information. Is she an established seller or a newbie? PayPal does place a $500.00 monthly withdrawal limit on new accounts but it's easy enough to lift. Makes me wonder if she's planning an end-run around ebay. :confused1:

PAY PAL CAN BE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH THEY HAVE SOME REALLY SHIFTY POLICIES. THEY WANT YOUR BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER AND THEY MAKE YOU GIVE IT TO THEM FOR A WITHDRAW. OTHERWISE THEY WONT GIVE YOU A DEBIT CARD AND YOU HAVE TO WAIT LIKE A MONTH FOR A CHECK.

ITS REDICULOUS !!!
PAYPAL ONLY WORKS IF YOU USE THE FUNDS FROM YOUR SOLD AUCTIONS TO BUY FROM OTHER SELLERS.

I Am The Seller Of This Item. Yes, Paypal Did Restrict My Account Since They Want All The Receipts For All The Louis Vuitton Items I Have Sold. Unfortunately, In The Auctions I Always Included The Original Receipts. Paypal Requested The Receipt For This Bag Which I Bought A While Back And I No Longer Have It. Paypal Also Asked For A Copy Of Driver's License, Credit Card Information, Suppliers Contact Name, Address, Phone Number Among Other Things. You Don't Have To Complete The Transaction If You Don't Want To. I Understand.

hmmm that's a little shady... is she a new seller ? i would agree not to send her payment via bank transfer or money order, if the bag is a fake or she doesn't send it to you, you have no way of getting your money back...

maybe shes up to no good and doesn't want to put in her bank account # to make her identifiable...

I know on my personal paypal account I have a withdrawal limit of $500, until I add a credit card, but I think as a seller you have to use a business account under ebay rules....

Paypal has all my bank information. I am confirmed through them and had never had any problems. I have never sold or bought fake items. She does not have to complete the transaction if she does not want to. It is not her fault Paypal restricted my account for receiving, what to them, is a lot of money in such a short period of time.

if she listed that she takes paypal then if you want to pay by pay, you should be allowed. and yes paypal does need all your info, but if i were you i would not trust her, she could be just trying to scam you. the bag also might have not have went off for the amount of money the lady wanted and she is hope that you will just go away so she does not have to sell it to you. by signing up with paypal they need alot of your info so they already have alot of her info so she already new this. goodluck

I am not trying to scam her. Paypal has their rules and policies and I do not agree with them. I don't think it is necessary to give them my social security number, additional credit card information, suppliers contact information (all my items are from my personal collection), etc. As for the price of the bag, my starting bid was the amount I was willing to sell the bag for. If I wanted more money, I would have put a higher starting bid.

actually this has been happening a lot, paypal freezing accounts etc, and I don't think it is something to worry about - well except for the seller...., and lots of threads have been discussing this recently - and using a money order or bank transfer does not mean that someone is trying to avoid ebay. over here bank transfers are the norm so i get lots of auctions paid that way. it isn't a big deal really.

maritza1973, thank you for coming on to clear things up. As I'm sure you are aware eBay can be more than a little stressful and we often get concerned when these issues crop up