Packing bags to get through customs alive

I'd just like to chime in that I think Fedex actually exacerbates an already iffy customs situation. I ship Fedex internationally every day, and never have a problem. However, for packages entering the US, I'm finding that it's a different story, both personally and professionally.
It seems Fedex is quite pesky about imported goods, especially European made.
My story: purhcased vintage Chanel jacket from seller in Canada for US$400.00. Mind you, this jacket is over 10 years old. I was concerned about her sending it Canada Post, so I insisted she use my professional Fedex account. BIG MISTAKE. Took 10 days from Toronto, because it got stuck in customs and then a fedex facility before they contacted me. I filled out a bunch of paperwork, and finally got the jacket. THEN, I got a bill from Fedex for $100.00 customs fees: $70 in fees, and $30 in "administrative fees".
Somehow, the good ole USPS isn't sounding so bad to me these days.

As an American living in Scotland, I have a Mom & Dad, Two Brother & Sister-in-laws, 4 nieces and nephews, and of course friends in the USA. I send and receive packages for all Birthdays, Christmas, baby gifts, wedding gifts all year round.

I have never been charged customs on personal packages, and the recipients in the US have never been charged customs.

We are talking around 30 packages sent from the Uk to US and the US to the UK every year. I always use Royal Mail International signed for. They always use USPS priority.

The ONE time I had a problem was when my friend sent my Son a birthday presents and she declared $200.00 US value on the gift and didn't mention specifically that it was infant clothing. So I got charged (UPS was the carrier by the way) 75.00GBP or something ridiculous like that. I phoned them and told them that it was infant clothing (which it was) and they refunded me the money.

So in my experience sending by USPS or Royal Mail works best. Avoid UPS and Parcel Force or Fedex.

Ordering directly from a store though....don't think you can avoid customs.

Even though I must say it is true that these things happen, I am glad I can tell you I have shipped from Europe (Italy) to the US many times WITHOUT A PROBLEM.

The last time was about one month ago, I sent a City to a friend (in the US) marked value 85 USD, "gift of used calfskin leather handbag", and I added inside the package a gift card in case it was inspected, and I can assure you that my friend had nothing to pay, and the bag wasn't damaged at all.

So I wouldn't assume that these bad experiences happen ALL the time.

The truth is that these things may or may not happen. In my opinion filling in the paperworks in a very detailed and respectful way helps.

So please let's not create any kind of phobia. Bad experiences happen, but good experiences happen as well.

I would be glad to see those who have had positive experiences post on this thread along with those who have had bad experiences with these packages coming from europe, maybe that would give us an idea of the exact proportions of this phenomenon.
As a matter of fact people usually post about these things when they have complaints to do, not when they are happy.

Let me precise that :roflmfao: I don't work for customs :roflmfao: , I am just European, and a bit disappointed to be descriminated by high shipping charges (that us europeans also have when it's the other way round, but we usually don't complain about it), unfavorable exchange rates (that we have had towards you for ages in the past but we were used to it), and now there is also a phobia for customs.

This problem exists all over the world. Globalization ladies!
But please don't forget that items are also very often shipped to the US from Europe without a problem.

Totall agree with you 'Ch' trama :yes: :love: !!!
I also am from Europe and sent many packages to the US, Canada and 'worldwide' - without any problems ! My buyers always are very happy ;) . And I got lot of beautiful Items from lovely people 'worldwide', mostly without any problems and a few with paying a bit of customs, but it isn't as bad if I love the Item what I got for :yahoo: . I really am sad if sellers don't ship to Europe anymore :sad: .

I just want to share my latest "shipping" (i wish the first "i" is an "o") experience to an ebayer/Pfer in the US. The lovely pfer said the package I sent her was untouched (thus customs didn't open it) and the bag arrived scratch fee and RED INK free :yahoo:

This is what I did...I used EMS shipping service (known as Speedpost here in Singapore). I used to ship via FedEx and this was my first time to use EMS. I was paranoid that the bag will be scrutinized by customs so I did my best to pack it very well (see pics)...this was the layering: bag - seram wrap-bubble wrap-dustbag-bubble wrap-(gift wrap, just the latest packages)- box -brown wrapper. Basically, I tried to make it difficult for customs to see what was inside the package. I knew customs would still open the package if they wanted to but I was hoping that the packing would intimidate them ;)

I filled up the customs form this way: Vaue - S$200, description: USED leather bag made of calf skin (thanks Trama :heart: for the tip!)

There you go...'hope this info will help sellers outside North America and also assure buyers that you can also receive your items safely from outside the US.

Thank you LP :heart:for starting this thread. Your post made me aware what to do and not to do when shipping things abroad. Thanks to Meemie as well and to everyone for sharing their shipping experiences...now, let us go to the fun part...let us share some bbag shOpping experience.

Attachments

• FBF1.JPG
    FBF1.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 50
  • FBF - packed.JPG
    FBF - packed.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 53
Ah ... I knew that this would come up at some point! This is why I'm always extolling the virtures of being honest with the Customs Agents!!!

If in the US, you are allowed up to $800 duty free. So, let's say that you purchase a City bag overseas for $1200 (exchange rate for Euro). While you would declare the entire $1200, you are only assessed duties on $400. Even if the Customs Agent uses the highest percent (3%), you would pay $12.00!!! So ... I guess the question then becomes ... is all of this worth it for $12.00 and the possibility of getting *caught* and forever being on the Customs List for eternity?!?!?

God, that is so unfair!!! I:cursing: n Norway, if you buy for more than $30, the tax percentage is 24!!!!! Imagine buyng a bg from eg net-a-porter in the US! It costs a fortune:crybaby: What is wrong with the Norwegian Costums????

Thanks m1gr31n!

I am really glad I helped with that tip, and I am really glad you had this positive experience. Thanks for sharing.

I think the way you wrapped the bag is just THE perfect way any bag should be packed when being sent.

I usually send my items through usps EMS (express mail service, fully trackable), just like you did, and I never had a problem

God, that is so unfair!!! I:cursing: n Norway, if you buy for more than $30, the tax percentage is 24!!!!! Imagine buyng a bg from eg net-a-porter in the US! It costs a fortune:crybaby: What is wrong with the Norwegian Costums????

It's about the same in France and Italy, but I usually buy from people who accept to underdeclare the value of the item and I have it shipped via usps Express Mail Service, wich is very safe since it is fully trackable.

The value I have them declare on the paperworks is generally a value that sounds ok for such an item to a non expert person (normal people are usually not aware of how expensive our designer items are, and just think the real price is crazy and unbelievable). In other words, if an item is preowned I have it expressely written, and for a Balenciaga city I usually declare no more than 200USD.

This way, when the package arrives I have a very few $ of customs to pay, but the box basicly doesn't get checked in it's inside content.

stef, that might be true if you're going through customs personally at a border crossing, but for the mail - they open and inspect all the time.

I just found a place on the CBP website to enter a question/complaint, so I described this situation and asked what's going on and is there any recourse? And then it said there was a 2-month backlog of emails, so I'm not holding my breath for a response, but I'll post if I get one.

LP, you might actually be able to talk to a LIVE person at the CBP in Anchorage. I had to do that one time for a package that I was looking for and was being held in San Francisco. Worth a shot...

I just want to share my latest "shipping" (i wish the first "i" is an "o") experience to an ebayer/Pfer in the US. The lovely pfer said the package I sent her was untouched (thus customs didn't open it) and the bag arrived scratch fee and RED INK free :yahoo:

This is what I did...I used EMS shipping service (known as Speedpost here in Singapore). I used to ship via FedEx and this was my first time to use EMS. I was paranoid that the bag will be scrutinized by customs so I did my best to pack it very well (see pics)...this was the layering: bag - seram wrap-bubble wrap-dustbag-bubble wrap-(gift wrap, just the latest packages)- box -brown wrapper. Basically, I tried to make it difficult for customs to see what was inside the package. I knew customs would still open the package if they wanted to but I was hoping that the packing would intimidate them ;)

I filled up the customs form this way: Vaue - S$200, description: USED leather bag made of calf skin (thanks Trama :heart: for the tip!)

There you go...'hope this info will help sellers outside North America and also assure buyers that you can also receive your items safely from outside the US.

Thank you LP :heart:for starting this thread. Your post made me aware what to do and not to do when shipping things abroad. Thanks to Meemie as well and to everyone for sharing their shipping experiences...now, let us go to the fun part...let us share some bbag shOpping experience.

Excellent advice, m1gr31n! Gosh, the number of things I've learned, and conitnue to learn, in tPF is amazing...:nuts:

This is what I don't understand - what gives someone (customs or otherwise) the right to CUT or MARK your personal stuff? Customs has the right to open up any parcel to check contents to make sure it's not a terrorist gift like a bomb or something, and that the contents are not illegal. That's their job.

But after opening the parcel and seeing that it's a bag with no drugs or illegal babies hiden in there, why do they HAVE to cut or mark it in anyway?

And worse, if the package is marked the full value of the bag, they can't use the excuse that "the bag was under-declared and so they want to make sure USA tax-payers don't get away with paying customs duties or GOd forbid, make a small profit selling it again at a higher price than what was declared".

I just don't get it.