Package not received-paypal dispute. Advice needed!

lifelover

Aug 21, 2015
Hey! I bought an item on eBay and paid through paypal. The item was shipped from another country and the last update was Feb 5th when it arrived in my country. I talked to the post office today and they have no additional information regarding where the package is and told me it is considered lost. Because the seller shipped it, the seller owns the package and l can´t claim anything from the post office.

So contacted the seller and they say because they shipped it and the post office lost it, it is basically my lose and they will not reimburse me for anything because they did nothing wrong (which is true), but I still did not get what I paid for. The thing l ordered had a value of 30 euros including shipping and the seller does not have another one.

I have opened a paypal dispute because from my perspective I have paid for something I did not receive.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? How do you think paypal is going to view this? Do you agree with my standpoint or the sellers?

I guess it depends on your country, but it could be sitting in a Customs facility being inspected since it was shipped internationally. I have had things held up in customs before for at least a week or two before getting to me...
Interesting that your post office didn't even mention that the package needs to clear customs before being delivered to a local post office. The tracking is basically unavailable when it is sitting there, so it disappears for a while, but eventually you can see the tracking info start moving again.... but it's weird that they didn't relay that information to you and just claimed it as "lost."

ETA: This is not to say that your seller is correct that it's your loss if the package is truly lost.... you should be reimbursed. However, I would have given it a bit more time before filing the PP claim. But there's nothing to be done about that now, I suppose. Perhaps you can follow up with your post office or do more research into how long it usually takes for packages to clear customs in your country (specifically from the country that your seller shipped from).

Last edited:
the seller is responsible for getting the package to you safely. If it gets lost by the postal service, it is still considered her responsibility by ebay and paypal. You'll win any dispute as long as the tracking doesn't show it was delivered.

Reactions: BBC and caannie
the seller is responsible for getting the package to you safely. If it gets lost by the postal service, it is still considered her responsibility by ebay and paypal. You'll win any dispute as long as the tracking doesn't show it was delivered.
This is exactly correct. If the tracking on the item doesn't show delivered, you win the dispute.

I guess it depends on your country, but it could be sitting in a Customs facility being inspected since it was shipped internationally. I have had things held up in customs before for at least a week or two before getting to me...
Interesting that your post office didn't even mention that the package needs to clear customs before being delivered to a local post office. The tracking is basically unavailable when it is sitting there, so it disappears for a while, but eventually you can see the tracking info start moving again.... but it's weird that they didn't relay that information to you and just claimed it as "lost."

ETA: This is not to say that your seller is correct that it's your loss if the package is truly lost.... you should be reimbursed. However, I would have given it a bit more time before filing the PP claim. But there's nothing to be done about that now, I suppose. Perhaps you can follow up with your post office or do more research into how long it usually takes for packages to clear customs in your country (specifically from the country that your seller shipped from).

This is exactly correct. If the tracking on the item doesn't show delivered, you win the dispute.

Thank you so much for your replies! The package is still undelivered and no updates on the tracking. I have opened a case with both eBay and paypal. Never done this before so not quite sure if I should proceed (escalade) with both eBay and paypal, or just one?

Thank you so much for your replies! The package is still undelivered and no updates on the tracking. I have opened a case with both eBay and paypal. Never done this before so not quite sure if I should proceed (escalade) with both eBay and paypal, or just one?
You can't open a case with both. Once they discover there are two cases, they will close one. Since you opened the paypal dispute first, I would close the ebay case.

I had such a situation. The parcel had the status of delivery and was signed with the name of the recipient. The buyer insisted that he did not get the parcel. I was angry and suspected the buyer of fraud.
Do you know what happened? An employee of the courier company signed the pick-up himself because nobody was at home. He planned to come the next day but....he lost the parcel. He admitted.
I sent the money back to the buyer. I received a refund from the transport company.