Package I sent to Singapore is lost! :(

NANI1972

Authenticator
O.G.
Jul 2, 2009
I sent a package to Singapore (Express with NO Insurance). The value of the items are around $1000. For some reason Insurance is not available to buy when you ship via Paypal. And I thought with tracking, ehh it will be OK.
Well I sent the package out on the 29th of Nov. and it left the country on the 30th and there have been no updates yet. I called the USPS to open an investigation on the 13th of December, I got a call today that Singapore has no record of the item coming inot thier country. So I guess it never made it off the plane? Or do workers steal packages?

USPS still has the investigation open and I am hoping and praying that it will be found. As I don't want to be out of $1000! I am soooo upset with myself.

Has anyone ever had this experience and was the USPS? I must say thier customer service responses to my questions are so canned. When I asked if they will investigate what plane it went on etc.? The response was "We will continue the investigation." I gave up trying to ask any more questions.:shucks:

Do I have any hope of this package being found?

i thought express usps included insurance? when i tried to add it to a package online to gauge how much shipping would be it seemed to be included up to $5000.

eta and i just looked online and it doesn't seem to be :sad: i'm so sorry to hear this!

Because mail has been so slow, I wouldn't be truly worried until a month has passed. But you should be eligible for a shipping refund because it wasn't delivered on time. That and possibly whatever the automatic insurance is with express ($100 I think) if the package is lost.

Maybe your package will turn up somehow. Last month, my seller shipped me a bag from Miami. It ended up in Malaysia instead of Singapore as seller had mistakenly wrote my country as Malaysia. At the end of it, the bag still turned up at my door step, though up till today USPS's tracking still showed failed attempted delivery in Malaysia. It did not reflect information like Malaysian Post had forwarded it to Singapore.

I once shipped an expensive Balenciaga bag to someone in another country. I shipped USPS Global Express. The tracking just stopped immediately after US customs and stayed like that for about 3 weeks. I thought for sure the package was lost.. it turns out that even though I paid for express mail they sent it regular mail. It ended up being delivered. Luckily I had a really great buyer who was patient and had been in this situation before.

Do not lose hope!!

If you log into USPS it will allow you to print postage and add insurance on any items that are insurable to whatever countries they will insure to.

You cannot buy insurance on Paypal for international items (maybe up to a certain dollar amount). I do all my international postage on USPS.

OP - crossing fingers for you that your package shows up. There was a previous thread about a Singapore buyer having a USPS Express package go 'missing' for several weeks before finally turning up.

Singapore is such a small country that generally once items arrive they are out for delivery same day or the next day latest. Often my Express packages are delivered without the tracking being updated but it usually takes no longer than 5 working days.

Hopefully there has been a mix up of some kind and your package will show up soon.

Oh! I have one coming to the US from Singapore. It shipped on the 29th. And it stalled out also.
But with diligence on the seller's part (and she really worked hard to get answers since the US Postal people were no help on this end) we are finally getting some tracking info.
So keep the faith.
I wish there was a way to send in a complaint to the postal service that they would pay attention to.
Good luck with this, OP!

Thank ladies for the input and helping me keep faith that the package will show up!

Does anyone know if the USPS actually takes an investigation seriously? Just wondering if they will actually try to find out what plane this sent on when it left the country etc.?

^ They will only put REAL effort into an investigation if insurance money is at stake. Even then though, there is only so much they can do, you know? They do not have a streamlined system and too many people forget to scan things.. It's a bit scary these days.

... 29th nov... normal days i think it should reach Singapore. maybe its the Xmas rush that is delaying mails at US site. In Singapore, items will normally take max 3 working days (actually 2days is max IMO) to be cleared from Custom and delivered.

However There's chances of items being delayed in Singapore as well but thats when items received damaged. I have items being held up and its until weeks later I received letter saying my item is damaged and I need to go HQ to collect. These are some of the unforeseen situation that dont happen all the time..

as for Singapore to US, its normally 10-14 business working days? but thats without the xmas rush at US site.

Sorry if you have already done this but, have you tried tracking in SingPost as well as USPS? Just in case the USA tracking part is not working but Singapore's system is. (they should automatically match up but sometimes they don't, depending on how each country has constructed their options in the postal tracking data sharing).

http://www.speedpost.com.sg/