Oxblood or Oak bayswater?

Phiomega

O.G.
Aug 19, 2012
Hello... I am new in this thread. Have been interested in Mulberry for very long time but not yet taken the plunge. I love classic bags and Bayswater is one of those. And I like the small one - very functional given the satchel style.

Wondering if I should get it in oxblood or oak? I dressed up mostly in neutral tones, with solid primary color touches (eg red jacket with gray on gray, yellow jacket on black/white). How to think about the decision?

Oak is classic but oxblood is interesting!

I ordered the ox blood Bayswater which I received today. The colour is gorgeous and will go with nearly all outfits.
However I wasn't so impressed with the bag itself, as there was a few issues with the bag which I have reported to the retailer and awaiting their response.

I ordered the ox blood Bayswater which I received today. The colour is gorgeous and will go with nearly all outfits.
However I wasn't so impressed with the bag itself, as there was a few issues with the bag which I have reported to the retailer and awaiting their response.

Thank you. What issues do you find?

Thank you. What issues do you find?

The bag I received was in very poor condition.
There was a black burn mark on the suede on the inside of the flap. The suede lining itself was not smoothly aligned to the bag and had a massive ridge all the way across the bottom of the bag.
The suede was also badly marked at the bottom. There were also some red flecks in the gold hardware for the postmans lock.

With regards to the bag itself, I love the colour, the design, the leather. When I got it out I fell in love with it. It's not very heavy. Weights 1.5kg.
It can be worn on the shoulder with a light jacket. However with a coat on, I struggled to get it on my shoulder. (I'm a UK Size 6).

The bag is very big so I'm thinking whether I should get the small version. However the issue with the small bag is that you cannot wear the bag on your shoulder without the additional shoulder strap. And I already have a bag with small handles and a strap (Willow Tote) so don't really want another like that.

This is how I expected the bag to look: View attachment 3864321
And this is the bag I received:
View attachment 3864320
I have this bag. Yours almost looks like it was used and returned, or was a display model. I'm using a purse liner but my lining never looked like that when I got it. If I were you I'd ask them to give you a new bag. (edited to add a photo)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 10.53.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 10.53.01 AM.png
    761.7 KB · Views: 1,122
Last edited:
I have this bag. Yours almost looks like it was used and returned, or was a display model. I'm using a purse liner but my lining never looked like that when I got it. If I were you I'd ask them to give you a new bag.

My biggest concern is the state of the suede lining. It looks like such bad workmanship. If I hadn't purchased it from a premium retailer, i would've thought it was a fake.

I think it is a used, returned bag also as there was no protective tape on the hardware like there normally is or tissue paper.

My biggest concern is the state of the suede lining. It looks like such bad workmanship. If I hadn't purchased it from a premium retailer, i would've thought it was a fake.

I think it is a used, returned bag also as there was no protective tape on the hardware like there normally is or tissue paper.
The only other issue I've had is that certain parts of the exterior seem to scratch easily, revealing a lighter color. I have scratches on the back handles where I think they bump up against my clothing, and one on the front part of the flap while it was tucked inside the bag. Leather conditioner seems to help make them less visible, though.

Reactions: alice1
Phiomega, is the oxblood you’re looking at in the pebbly leather? It is very durable. I have a full size Bayswater in mole grey from a year or two ago and it still looks new. Oxblood is a great choice right now. [emoji106]

Phiomega, is the oxblood you’re looking at in the pebbly leather? It is very durable. I have a full size Bayswater in mole grey from a year or two ago and it still looks new. Oxblood is a great choice right now. [emoji106]

Yes it is a pebbly leather! Thanks for confirming it’s durability. I planned to use this for work/travel bag - I like the turnlock key and the size is just right for my usual work needs whilst not too big for travel (I am looking at the small bays)...

I have clay in the new Bayswater which has an oxblood suede lining. Mine was and still is pristine. The lining is so beautiful that I love opening the bag. I think you got a used bag. Definitely return!

Regarding your original question, I own oak and Black Forest in the Classic now called heritage Bayswater. Black Forest probably has more red undertones when compared with my oxblood medium lily and Daria. For my wardrobe I use oxblood/Black Forest as much more of a neutral compared with oak which is one of my least used bags, chocolate is the least used. I tend to wear dresses in navy, black, black and white, grey, cobalt, emerald green (which all go with oxblood/Black Forest) and other colour pops like purple, fuchsia pink, red which I will wear with one of my black bays.