Oxblood bag - Bays or Del Ray? Better option?

Mar 17, 2013
Hi lovely Mulberry ladies! I need some expert opinions :smile: Recently I have fallen love with the oxblood color of Mulberry bags. I'm thinking of adding a new bag to my little handbag family but am completely torn as to which bag to add. If I had to narrow it to two, it would be either the classis Bayswater or Del Ray as I'm more of a big bag girl. My current Mulberry bags are the black/nickle Bays and Alexa. Any and all opinions, and alternative suggestions, are very welcome and I greatly appreciate the help! :smile:

Hi lovely Mulberry ladies! I need some expert opinions :smile: Recently I have fallen love with the oxblood color of Mulberry bags. I'm thinking of adding a new bag to my little handbag family but am completely torn as to which bag to add. If I had to narrow it to two, it would be either the classis Bayswater or Del Ray as I'm more of a big bag girl. My current Mulberry bags are the black/nickle Bays and Alexa. Any and all opinions, and alternative suggestions, are very welcome and I greatly appreciate the help! :smile:
The Bays is lovely, but in the NVT the colour does lean a little like the chocolate, and looks like the patina could develop similarly. I'm not clued-up on the Del ray - what's it made from?

I would go with Bays hands down. The oxblood colour is a bit darker and there is more brown to it than my blackforest bays but I love it enough to want it in the medium lily!

Have to go against the grain and go for a bit of diversity, you have a bays and a Lexi, if it was me, it would be the Del Rey for variety

Nothing wrong with having the same style in different colours...... CP has proven this :smile:

I prefer the bays because of the natural leather. The del rey is gorgeous but I prefer the older style which had the shorter straps. In regards to your dilemma, I'd pick del rey since you're covered on the bays front (unless your a massive bays fan!), but I'm not sure how well the nappa leather will hold up.

Have to agree with Louliu & daisyw about the lining - I miss the lovely mulberry tree print.

Last edited:
Firstly - I know what you mean, oxblood is a gorgeous colour!

As per earlier comments the colour does look different depending on the leather.

Bays is more brown; Del Rey much less so. Personally I prefer the colour of the Del Rey, but it's worth bearing in mind that it is also a very smooth leather and could be prone to scratching.

I would choose the bag based on which style you prefer though, rather than colour - do you prefer the Bays or the Del Rey with regard to style, weight, etc?

Oh, I didn't realize that the oxblood color of the bays has more brown tones. That's not what I'm going for - I prefer more red tones. There isn't a Mulberry boutique where I live so I can't see the color in person. I also didn't realize the lining of the Del Ray was so light, and that it was cloth. I don't like that at all. Sad!

I saw the oxblood bays in John Lewis and fell in love - if I ever owned a bays, it would be in that colour + kind of leather. Too bad I'm only 5'3 and the bays looks huge on me :sad: Ah well, maybe I'll wait for the oxblood buckle....

Oh, I didn't realize that the oxblood color of the bays has more brown tones. That's not what I'm going for - I prefer more red tones. There isn't a Mulberry boutique where I live so I can't see the color in person. I also didn't realize the lining of the Del Ray was so light, and that it was cloth. I don't like that at all. Sad!
I agree about the lining colour. Doesn't make any sense to have such a pale colour lining in a dark bag!

You could always use a bag liner...

Firstly - I know what you mean, oxblood is a gorgeous colour!

As per earlier comments the colour does look different depending on the leather.

Bays is more brown; Del Rey much less so. Personally I prefer the colour of the Del Rey, but it's worth bearing in mind that it is also a very smooth leather and could be prone to scratching.

I would choose the bag based on which style you prefer though, rather than colour - do you prefer the Bays or the Del Rey with regard to style, weight, etc?
Very wise advice to choose based on style not color! Thinking about it this way I think the bays will suit me the best. Now I need to find a way to see the color in person : )