Owning a clutch without a clutch life?

I definitely don't have a clutch life - but I have TONS of clutches. I have a tiny satin Prada clutch reserved for those cliche "nice" events, which I use only a few times a year. But I have lots of daytime clutches that I carry during the day - to work, to school, etc. I even have an Alexander Wang clutch that can fit my iPad and everything else that I used to carry in my Balenciaga Part Time. Maybe you should consider a daytime clutch like that? Then you can get the best of both worlds.

I too would be afraid of leaving a clutch somewhere. I had a small (cheap, not designer) crossbody bag that I used for occasions where I didn't want a big bag and it lasted 15 years because I only used it a couple of times a year. I'd like an LV Eva but I can't justify the cost for the amount I would use it.

I've gladly read all your replies and I'm happy to know I'm not alone in wanting a clutch but without a clutch life! I love the mantra "better be prepared".

I almost never go to formal events and certainly not enough to justify buying a clutch just for that. I am a big Hermes lover (though I definitely can't afford a big collection). I ended up getting myself a Kelly long wallet. It works out great because I can use it most of the time as a wallet, but it doubles as a clutch when I need it. I bet there are other designers out there with something similar- something you could use as both a clutch and large wallet?

I bought the LV eva in ebene and use it for weddings, I also have a small black coach sateen wristlet I use for formal events. I'm a practical girl so I can't justify having to hold on to a clutch for everyday use, a crossbody bag is more practical imo.

satsobek said:
I almost never go to formal events and certainly not enough to justify buying a clutch just for that. I am a big Hermes lover (though I definitely can't afford a big collection). I ended up getting myself a Kelly long wallet. It works out great because I can use it most of the time as a wallet, but it doubles as a clutch when I need it. I bet there are other designers out there with something similar- something you could use as both a clutch and large wallet?

Tell me more about this. I'm a huge fan of Hermes and have 2 Kelly and was thinking about the kelly wallet as a clutch. What can you fit inside? I mean, it's not designed to hold keys, cellphone or lipstick. Do you happen to have pictures of you using it as a clutch?

Tell me more about this. I'm a huge fan of Hermes and have 2 Kelly and was thinking about the kelly wallet as a clutch. What can you fit inside? I mean, it's not designed to hold keys, cellphone or lipstick. Do you happen to have pictures of you using it as a clutch?

You can fit more in there than you would think. Definitely a smartphone (I stick in my iphone routinely) and probably some keys if you don't have a huge bunch. Obviously there's plenty of room for money and cards too. You might just get a compact or some lipstick in if they were small and thin, but I'd be scared to put anything in that could potentially make a mess!

I personally don't need much when I go out, so it works well for me. If you need to carry many things, it might not be so good. It's definitely a compromise compared to a full clutch.

I don't have any pictures of me carrying it right now, but I could make one if you don't mind me just wearing something casual. I am sure I've seen some good shots on the Hermes sub forum as well.

Overall, it's a great multi-function piece: you can have a roomy wallet and a modest clutch. I have even seen pictures too where a twilly is used to give it a little handle.

Became a big fan of clutches here at TPF...looking at the ones some folks own, the beauty and art of them, really got me interested. The economy of the art. Well, clutches are great, and I SOO don't have a clutch life, but I love carrying them, which is when the mood strikes.

Not only do I not have a clutch life, I have no life lol. But I did buy a Proenza clutch in yellow, and I carry it way more than I thought I would. So get one!

I agree that a clutch will sneak up on you and find ways of leaving the house with you. Think about the evenings when someone else is driving and you don't need to carry much. Or going to the movie theater, or to a friend's for dinner. I only have one--I did buy two at the same time, but realized one was enough--and I do enjoy using it.

You can take it if you're going to lunch or dinner and don't really need anything else. I would use it if I'm out with my bf just going to small stores/restaurants and don't need to carry much.

So far I've found 2 models that i like the most: the Chanel timeless clutch and the BV knot clutch.
I think the Chanel holds more though, I always carry a lot with me!

So far I've found 2 models that i like the most: the Chanel timeless clutch and the BV knot clutch.
I think the Chanel holds more though, I always carry a lot with me!

I have both of these and Yes, the Chanel will definitly hold more but you might consider the BV stretch knot. (The longer version). I seriously want one of those.