Owner spends $5,000 to save her dog.

To be honest $5,000 does not seem like a lot of money to me when it comes to animals. I spent $1800 earlier in the year for a CT scan and that was without any surgery. I am pretty sure hip dysplasia surgery runs somewhere in the $5,000 range.

When my previous cat got cancer I spent over $8,000 on her vet bills. It extended her life by about 6 months and in the end I still had to put her to sleep. I would have done the same thing again if I had the chance. I can rest knowing I did everything I possibly could for her.

I spent almost 5K on Gozer this year, and nearly 3K on Mathilda a few years ago when she was diagnosed with her heart problem. Miss Lucy had a $300 vet visit on Monday. It's what you do when you love your pets.

Devils advocate here! Our dog was very sick a couple years ago and it cost about 2k to make her better, and I would not do it again. :sad: sad as it makes me I just can't justify spending that kind of money. If I were to find out she had diabetes or heart problems we would be looking for a new home for her or putting her down. I know a lot of people will ask me if I would have the same attitude if it was my child..but I just don't see the comparison. Don't hate me!! To each their own!

We spent $6k for emergency spinal surgery when our doxie became paralyzed from a disc rupture.

4 years later she's in the best shape she's ever been in. She's 8 yrs old, kicking butt and ruling the roost...with all four feet firmly on the ground! :doggie: Totally worth it.

We spent $6k for emergency spinal surgery when our doxie became paralyzed from a disc rupture.

4 years later she's in the best shape she's ever been in. She's 8 yrs old, kicking butt and ruling the roost...with all four feet firmly on the ground! :doggie: Totally worth it.

We had the same situation with my Corgi when he was just 8 years old. Nearly $5K for an MRI and surgery to remove the ruptured disk. I'm happy to say that he'll be 15 next month and is still going strong. For us, the money spent was worth every penny! :smile:

Devils advocate here! Our dog was very sick a couple years ago and it cost about 2k to make her better, and I would not do it again. :sad: sad as it makes me I just can't justify spending that kind of money. If I were to find out she had diabetes or heart problems we would be looking for a new home for her or putting her down. I know a lot of people will ask me if I would have the same attitude if it was my child..but I just don't see the comparison. Don't hate me!! To each their own!

i guess for a lot of the people here in tpf, if you can spend that money on a purse, you can definitely spend it on a living thing. unless you don't buy designer purses. :P i just can't imagine having a dog that i don't love.

I don't hate you but I don't agree with you. I would suggest that if a person was not willing to spend the money for veterinary care of an animal in their possession, perhaps they should not have animals.

Also, finding a new home for an animal with known health issues is very difficult. It makes me sad to think of the future of this poor creature. :sad: