Overwhelming scent from Vernis Alma

Waffle

Jul 18, 2011
I'm looking for some advice / suggestions;

I purchased my vernis Alma back in August this year (as per the reveal tread) but have had it on pretty low rotation since then, so it was a complete shock when I was sitting at the ballet and was confronted with an overwhelming scent of patent leather - which surprisingly came from my bag. I usually love the smell of leather, but this is severly OTT.

I've had it 'airing' for the last couple of days (searched the forum and that seemed to be the way to go), but it just hasn't seemed to improve. Any ideas?

I don't remember my Vernis Alma having a leather smell at all. I will check also tonight for you. She is in her dustcover since I only wear her a few days a month.

My MM Amarante Alma definitely has a strong scent. But personally I love the smell of the vernis leather! :love: My PM Bleu Nuit Alma on the other hand doesn't have this scent.. I guess it'll wear off when you start using your bag more. :shrugs:

Thank you crumpy, kokogirl and Jaeniver for checking for me :flowers:

I was on the verge of taking it back to LV and asking them to do something about it. I guess I'm just not used to it, as none of my glazed Miu Miu bags have that smell :shrugs:

I'll try to use it more often :biggrin:

Waffle said:

I was on the verge of taking it back to LV and asking them to do something about it. I guess I'm just not used to it, as none of my glazed Miu Miu bags have that smell :shrugs:

I'm on my home so I can sniff it for you! :smile:

Ok I went in my closet, took my RF Alma out of her dustcover and smelled her. I didn't smell any leather smell at all. My MIL has 2 Mahina leather bags and those smell a lot like leather, but yummy leather.

I don't have a vernis alma but when I got my pomme zippy it had a very strong leathery chemical smell. Not unpleasant but just strong--like "Here I am!!!" Eventually it faded with use but if I smell it it's still there --but very slight. I think it's the varnish LV uses on the leather. It took a couple of months of use for it to fade significantly. HTH!

No strong smell on mine. I can smell the patent leather but I would have to really stick my nose on to the bag to smell anything. Unlike my Artsy Empreinte I can smell the leather as I wear it. No need to put it close to my nose.

Thanks everyone for checking for me. I've got mental images of noses being stuck into bags now :lol:

I'll give it a couple more weeks of use, if it doesn't disappear after that, I'll take it to LV.

I was going to get the Monogram Vernis Zippy Wallet but now I'm going to have to carefully sniff it at the store.. I wonder what the SA's will think of it :roflmfao:

I wanted to do a search on this topic and found yours. My hubby just gave me an alma vernis bought at LV and boy does it smell of chemicals.

So is the consensus to let it breath? I don't store any of my bags in their dusters so I am fine with this.

I certainly smells of chemicals. Not leather.

He bought me a Vernis Alma 2 years ago and I don't remember it stinking like this one. Advice is always welcomed.

Firstly, congratulations on your new bag!

To get rid of that chemical smell - I let mine breathe for a couple of weeks by itself, it faded a little.
I then shoved a whole lot of perfume sample cards spritzed with Coco - Chanel into the bag and then wiped it with a clean soft damp cloth. It seems ok now, doesn't give off that strong odour anymore. HTH

My Vernis Sherwood has this same very strong leather/chemical smell as well. I bought it new on its release day (January 1st 2011) and used it at that time in heavy rotation with no smell. After a full month's use, I went back to regularly rotating my bags which left the Sherwood to sit in my (big) closet for a couple of months. When I went to use it next, I noticed the strong scent and have used her less since. I'm tempted to take her back to the boutique to see what the deal is. None of my other vernis items have ever had this smell and even the Sherwood didn't have it originally...

How strange!

I immediately went to my bag storage and pulled out my two Vernis pieces.

Neither have a strong smell at all. Both are 2010 bags, used only in spring and summer. They are always stored in their dust bags. I never zip bags closed inside dust bags though so they can breathe.