Overwhelmed! Need new skin care regime!

jessie_mags

Apr 9, 2007
I have used the same skin care regime for years... Cetaphil face wash and lotion, vaseline to remove eye makeup, and Clearasil for my trouble areas... pretty simple. I stopped taking bc because it gave me terrible headaches and ever since my skin has more pimples and has been greasier, I feel like I'm going through puberty all over again.

I have been scouring the makeup/skincare reviews on here and other sites, but feel completely overwhelmed! :wtf: There are just too many choices! I just want to start over from scratch (except for the vaseline, I love that)!

I would like a good cleansing routine (I need to start using a toner) and a good eye cream to remove dark circles and prevent wrinkles (it's never to early to start). I was thinking the Olay Regenerist line, because of the good reviews, but I don't know. I heard the lotion was a bit greasy, and don't want that. I use a mineral makeup foundation, would that be causing any of the excess grease? I live in a small town, so I can't exactly go to a Sephora or MAC store any day, I'd have to either plan a trip out of town or order off the internet. :confused1:

Anyone have great products they swear by and would never change? I thought I would use Cetaphil forever, but I really need a change. Any helpful suggestions would be great! Thanks!

It sounds like your skin problems are hormonal. Using harsh products to stop the acne might just make it worse, kwim?... That's kind of the problem I'm having now. I finally just gave up on "skin care" and went back to Cetaphil. My skin is already calmed down and it's only been 2 days! I really think it was just dry and irritated.

I'm 24. I'm not exactly sure of my skin type. I'd say a combination. Not really dry, more oily on my "t" zone or whatever it is.

I am the same age as you are and my skin type is similar to yours. I used to cleanse with Cetaphil too but recently switched to Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser which I like better. It has AHAs and BHAs which help with smoothing out skintone and reducing pores. I then tone with Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion which is alcohol free and contains a small amount of BHA. Once or twice a week I will use those Stridex 2% BHA pads (red packaging, alcohol free) as a chemical exfoliant. And finally I moisturize with Eucerin Q10 cream. I prefer products which are alcohol/fragrance-free and non-comodegenic and am very happy with the ones I am using now. Hope this helps!

I swear by a lot of Mario Badescu products! They work pretty well for my combination/oily/acne prone skin. Their products are not miracles but better than anything I ever tried that are much more expensive.

I'm in the same boat - exactly the same, really, only I stopped taking BC about a year ago, so that's when it started happening for me. I had always used Olay cleanser but realized that it was far too harsh for my skin after it changed. So, I've been on a hunt for a new skin regime and I think I've finally found it!

For a cleanser, I'm using Fresh Soy Cleanser ($39 at Sephora) which is very good at removing makeup plus being a gentle cleanser. When I started using this, the oil production of my skin slowed. Awesome! I tried La Mer Cleansing Foam (I think it was too drying for my skin) and Amore Pacific's Treatment soap (I liked it but... oh, I don't know, I just liked the Fresh better). For a toner I'm using Chanel's puritee one, which I like. I also tried the La Mer oil controling toner, but I'm not such a fan of that.

For moisturizer, in the morning I use Olay something or other with SPF (~$17), and at night I use Caudalie Pulpe Vitaminee ($53 at Sephora), which I also absolutely adore. I use Dior Capture (something like that) eyecream both morning and night, but only because I'm still looking for a good night eyecream. I think it was $43 or $49, also at Sephora. It has SPF20, which is a good plus. It's nice and light - perfect for daytime.

If you live in a small town and do not have easy access to stores, I would suggest considering Avon's ANEW line. I'm sure someone in your town is an Avon rep and you can return their products if you don't care for them. The ANEW line has products for all skin types and ages and is really very good. I've used it for years and people are always commenting on my complexion.

Skin changes constantly and after about 6 months it's already used to your routine and you may find you are getting less of the benefits you had to start with. If you're happy with Vaseline, start by changing just 1 product in your range and see if that makes a difference.

I love Boscia a preservative free botanical range that is gentle yet keeps your skin fresh and clear, they have a new try me pack out called Pure Botanical Blast. If you join their mailing list you'll find you get up to 20% off at times. ;)

You're too young for olay regenerist. Check out this website for olay - http://olayforyou.com/index.jsp

I swore by Philosophy skin care products for years. I think you can by a starter kit or small travel sizes to see if you like them at Sephora.com.

I have to offer a strong second to this suggestion. Philosophy is mild and effective. I am in my early thirties and recently began experiencing the first acne of my life! They say it's hormones, so I think we're in similar boats. Skinstore was having a sale a couple of weeks ago and I stocked up on Philosophy products. I got kits, which is the way to go. Try the Makeup Optional Kit for congested skin. It has everything you need, even an eye cream. My skin has totally calmed down. Skinstore has a code through friday, 10-3-08 for 15% off and they deliver free. The code is FALL15. Good luck.