Overpriced Chanels on *bay?!

ibezj

Nov 3, 2008
http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-2010-CHANEL...emQQptZUS_CSA_WH_Handbags?hash=item27b0730b6e

oK, I know you have to get on a list for a black maxi...but 5,999?!!!!

I am so disillusioned with resellers these days...I know *bay fees are high but (for this particular auction) just return it to the store so some Chanel lover can get it?! Why list it on *bay if you just got it in the mail? Can't you return it?

I keep seeing my HG red caviar being listed on *bay for like 700-1000 more than store prices...and I understand the market for them drives the prices up...but just seeing them being priced so unreasonably (as though the markup from Chanel isn't enough) makes me want to give up.

Don't know if this should be moved to the *bay forum but I have spoken to others who've expressed the same frustrations.

Couldn't agree with you more! I missed out on the Jade nailpolish since it wasn't available in my country. If I would want to get it on the bay I will have to pay 8x the retail price. :tdown:

The point is to relist it at a higher price to profit off of it. Sadly there are people who encourage these unreasonable listings by purchasing from the bay at higher than retail prices. :nogood: I know there are TPFers who are also resellers, and I know some of them deliberately purchase from Europe/elsewhere for cheaper and then list it online for a profit. I don't like it either, and I feel personally insulted to see something that we love turned into a purely commercial gray market operation, but that's the way things are. :sad:

But the auction starts at $3,932, so it's still possible it can be sold at that price if not too many ppl bid on it. agree the BIN is too high, but i doubt anyone will purchase it at that price since it's not a LE or seasonal bag.

I agree with you 100%. It really pisses me off when I see a sold out or hard to find bag on *bay or any other auction sites with NWT. :cursing: It's one thing that people sell their unused bags for closet clean up or other various reasons but stocking up highly sought after bags just to make profit is really upsetting. I know that there are many reasonable sellers and considering the waiting list, time spent on searching/locating bags, etc, a few hundreds dollars of profit is understandable. However, trying to make a fortune out of it is a big nono. No matter how badly I want the bag, I would never buy it from those sellers.

3295 is cheaper than what you would pay in the store. My friend BB just got one and paid 3500. Stores dont do free tax anymore. so that was a good deal.

ITA! don't look at the bin price, there was starting bid that lower than retail. and the seller has to pay paypal plus ebay final fees!

3295 is cheaper than what you would pay in the store. My friend BB just got one and paid 3500. Stores dont do free tax anymore. so that was a good deal.

I understand the market for them drives the prices up...but just seeing them being priced so unreasonably (as though the markup from Chanel isn't enough) makes me want to give up
I know what you mean, I'm not buying any bags lately because I'm saving for my vacation this summer but I still like to browse eBay and I've seen a lot of Chanels that 2 months ago were a good $300-400 less than now. I know Chanel recently had a price increase and I know that sellers obviously want to profit from that increase as well but I just don't understand it, eBay is supposed to be the way to get around increases and extra taxes etc. Not to mention that a lot of these bags I mentioned are vintage and way too much for the condition they're in

I recently saw an auction where the seller did not even have the bag in possession yet. S/he had listed the bag, saying that it was on its way to him/her from a Chanel boutique in Europe. Really pissed me off that it could have gone to someone who genuinely wanted the bag, but instead went to some douche who decided to make a few hundreds off of people who're desperate for the bag. Don't get me wrong, I've sold things as well when they weren't used, or when I needed to clear my closet. But like jainstein said, it's a completely different matter when someone stocks up on popular items simply to resell for profit. No way I'm buying from sellers like that. :nono: And anyway I think it's silly to pay above or close to retail when you have to be concerned about authenticity and condition. I would rather purchase my bags brand new from the boutique and know that my money went towards Chanel, rather than any one of those opportunistic sellers who deprive genuine purse lovers the opportunity to get their HG.

I find that Bonanzle is sometimes more reasonably priced with the same sellers that list their stuff on ebay. But they list it 10% less since there is no final value fees.

I can see how people set up stores where they sell other people's stuff on ebay...that's just business. But private persons that buy from Europe or something so they can turn a profit is, to me, a big NO NO.

Selling something that's new or worn from your personal closet...totally okay and I prefer to buy from those individuals. But people who do this (from the listing photos, looks like she got the bag and immediately took photos to list the item), really pisses me off.

Honestly, from the listings I've seen of Chanel bags on ebay and Bonanzle where it's only a couple hundred less than retail, I'd rather pay that plus tax and buy from boutiques to save me the trouble of paying for shipping, waiting for the bag, praying it's what I think it is, etc. *sigh*

I know what you mean, I'm not buying any bags lately because I'm saving for my vacation this summer but I still like to browse eBay and I've seen a lot of Chanels that 2 months ago were a good $300-400 less than now. I know Chanel recently had a price increase and I know that sellers obviously want to profit from that increase as well but I just don't understand it, eBay is supposed to be the way to get around increases and extra taxes etc. Not to mention that a lot of these bags I mentioned are vintage and way too much for the condition they're in

That's not true.. ebay is used in tons of areas to sell hard to find/limited items. Just don't buy it if it bothers you! The sellers can list whatever they want~

^ I have no problem with eBay I buy on eBay all the time and don't complain about it, and I never buy what I don't think is worth the price so I'm already "not buying if it bothers me" ;). I'm not saying they can't list for whatever they want, they can list a blank piece of paper for 1 million dollars if they want to I'm just saying that it wouldn't be worth it and a lot of prices don't reflect the worth of the bag. The true worth of the bag

Last edited:
ITA! don't look at the bin price, there was starting bid that lower than retail. and the seller has to pay paypal plus ebay final fees!

Wouldn't it better for the seller to just return the bag to BG? Why go through the hassle of listing it on ebay? Reading the description of the auction just makes me suspicious of the seller.

I can see how people set up stores where they sell other people's stuff on ebay...that's just business. But private persons that buy from Europe or something so they can turn a profit is, to me, a big NO NO.

Selling something that's new or worn from your personal closet...totally okay and I prefer to buy from those individuals. But people who do this (from the listing photos, looks like she got the bag and immediately took photos to list the item), really pisses me off.

Honestly, from the listings I've seen of Chanel bags on ebay and Bonanzle where it's only a couple hundred less than retail, I'd rather pay that plus tax and buy from boutiques to save me the trouble of paying for shipping, waiting for the bag, praying it's what I think it is, etc. *sigh*

I agree. Sometimes it is better to just save a bit more and get it straight from the boutique unless it is a fantastic deal. A savings of only 5-10% isn't really worth the potential problems that could arises.

well, it ended up with no bids. i agree that the seller could've just return the bag to BG.
i started reading the description and it's funny that the seller put so many things in the description and some are incorrect:

... CHANEL classic flap bag in size Maxi (also known as XL Jumbo in ChanelSpeak) - isn't xl jumbo for vintage chanel?

... The back of the bag's exterior has a large flap pocket, influenced by Coco Chanel, for legend has it that the exterior flap was where she hid her love letters.
- that should be the zippered part on the inside of the m/l flap, the back pocket is for tips.

anyways...