Overheard Hermès

Before someone shares my embarrassing attempt- from my perspective:

Me: Hey I've been here for an hour, I was trying too look for a Constance? I'm not really sure who to ask.
SA: It's alright, have you been with us before? I can help you set up a profile (or something like that)
Me: Thank you but I don't need one, I'm looking for a Constance not a Birkin or anything especially unique. I'm really looking for the pink or caramel ones. Its color is like a Starbucks latte. I think there's one called Chai but its actually a touch darker.
SA: ...
SA: *literally just walked away*
Me: Oh sorry. Did you have them in stock?
Me: ...
Me: *realizes she's started talking to to someone else*
Me: *just kinda walks out the store*

ugh embarrassing
Strange that they would treat you that way. I can’t imagine my SA just walking away from someone?

Me: Hey I've been here for an hour, I was trying too look for a Constance? I'm not really sure who to ask.
SA: It's alright, have you been with us before? I can help you set up a profile (or something like that)
Me: Thank you but I don't need one, I'm looking for a Constance not a Birkin or anything especially unique. I'm really looking for the pink or caramel ones. Its color is like a Starbucks latte. I think there's one called Chai but its actually a touch darker.

ugh embarrassing
Sorry this happened to you. But that Sa was totally rude. My personality wouldn't let me just walk out without telling the Sa about their behavior.

ugh embarrassing

That’s pretty rude of the SA to walk away instead of redirecting you gently. It’s a job, not a pedestal.

ugh embarrassing
I love that you tried though :smile: good for you.

ugh embarrassing
Pretty sure birkins, kellys, and constances are actually the three most sought after… but I’m not really sure, since the bags I want are picotin, herbag, and cinhetic.

She shouldn’t have walked away, but I can understand why she did. I wouldn’t be too keen to give someone more of my time if they couldn’t give me 2 min of theirs. I consider it presumptuous and a little rude of you to turn down her offer to make an account, and then jump into asking for a constance.

If you already have an account, a simple, “no thank you, I already have one” would have been fine. And then you could have followed with, “I’m looking for a particular bag and color, do you think you could help me?” If you don’t have an account, make one. It makes everything go faster, especially when you call another store to buy from their stock, once one has been located.

Pretty sure birkins, kellys, and constances are actually the three most sought after… but I’m not really sure, since the bags I want are picotin, herbag, and cinhetic.

She shouldn’t have walked away, but I can understand why she did. I wouldn’t be too keen to give someone more of my time if they couldn’t give me 2 min of theirs. I consider it presumptuous and a little rude of you to turn down her offer to make an account, and then jump into asking for a constance.

If you already have an account, a simple, “no thank you, I already have one” would have been fine. And then you could have followed with, “I’m looking for a particular bag and color, do you think you could help me?” If you don’t have an account, make one. It makes everything go faster, especially when you call another store to buy from their stock, once one has been located.
In a past life I was a luxury retail manager of commissioned sales associates in NYC tristate. I now live in an area where old money wealthy often look like they just finished working the back 40. DH sees this daily at his luxury automotive brands. From a strictly financial standpoint, a commissioned sales associate should never turn away a customer as they many be a “whale” in disguise. There is a reason Pretty Woman included similar behavior. Hermes also had to apologize publicly to Oprah many years ago.

Hermes recently opened a location nearby. I am certain they will be visited regularly by customers who don’t know associates expect certain behavior from clients but are ready to become loyal spenders. It is the sales associate’s responsibility to redirect. The onus is on staff and not the customer. No manager wants to hear they had staff walk away from a customer no matter how desired a brand.

In a past life I was a luxury retail manager of commissioned sales associates in NYC tristate. I now live in an area where old money wealthy often look like they just finished working the back 40. DH sees this daily at his luxury automotive brands. From a strictly financial standpoint, a commissioned sales associate should never turn away a customer as they many be a “whale” in disguise. There is a reason Pretty Woman included similar behavior. Hermes also had to apologize publicly to Oprah many years ago.

Hermes recently opened a location nearby. I am certain they will be visited regularly by customers who don’t know associates expect certain behavior from clients but are ready to become loyal spenders. It is the sales associate’s responsibility to redirect. The onus is on staff and not the customer. No manager wants to hear they had staff walk away from a customer no matter how desired a brand.
I agree, hence the “she shouldn’t have walked away” from the one who posted about their experience.

All I’m saying is that I can understand why the SA did though. I don’t work luxury fashion, but the tier in the industry I’m in is luxury. All our clients are “whales.” Most clients have been very nice, and some make me wish I could walk away… but I can’t.

Also, I grew up in a state right next to NY that is pretty much old money central. The etiquette there is to be polite, cause you have no idea who you might be talking to, or who they know/work for. For me, being courteous goes both ways, give the SA 2 min and they’ll give you back an hour of theirs.

I agree, hence the “she shouldn’t have walked away” from the one who posted about their experience.

All I’m saying is that I can understand why the SA did though. I don’t work luxury fashion, but the tier in the industry I’m in is luxury. All our clients are “whales.” Most clients have been very nice, and some make me wish I could walk away… but I can’t.

Also, I grew up in a state right next to NY that is pretty much old money central. The etiquette there is to be polite, cause you have no idea who you might be talking to, or who they know/work for. For me, being courteous goes both ways, give the SA 2 min and they’ll give you back an hour of theirs.
I definitely understand:smile: We have all (at least everyone who has ever worked customer facing) been there. It is unfortunate the op met with a sales person who did not meet standards.

As an aside, I think there is a very good chance you grew up where I used to live and work. You also likely shopped at one time or another at one or more of the locations I managed.

You are the first poster so far to suggest that pasdedeux1 was not completely without fault. We do not have a verbatim transcript, just her filtered recollection of what was said. It does appear that when invited to start the process of shopping (setting up a profile) she is not interested and therefore generates the perception that she is not a serious.
As a long-term member of this forum and contributor to the Hermes threads she would have known what to expect and effectively dismisses the SA when declining the invitation to set up a profile.