Overheard Hermès

Yesterday at the store a heard a tourist customer was very upset and wanted to file a complaint. Not to be stereotyping but she came from a country known for their oil money (tons of it) with big big jewelry. Anyway, she was here before Christmas and was told there was no bag, as she *only* was offered a few mini Lindy to choose from last time. She said she also didn’t appreciate waiting for so long just to be told there was no bag offered to her. Apparently during the last trip, an Asian man (GAY man she emphasized) came in and was offered 2 birkins to choose from but not her. She said she was promised with AT LEAST one Kelly by another sales lady before, and was FURIOUS that there is no bag for her this time. The poor salesperson was obviously young and didn’t know how to handle it, except to ask for her name and went back into check with his Mgr over and over again. SMH. I was in a rush so didn’t wait to see what happened next. But to give you an idea: I am in an EU country where, let’s just say is not known for their customer service… I wonder what happened Next! (And PS: I am also sure the store doesn’t want to piss a customer like that off, although she was very straightforward she only wanted bags and nothing else)

was the well known client/celebrity named? Lol sorry I live for this stuff:yucky:
I'm pretty sure I know who this is. Wife of a billionaire entertainment scion....at least, heard the same story about her. I've seen her at both SCP and BH.

Back to exact topic, this exchange happened at BH recently:

Client to SA (haughtily): "I want a Kelly."
SA (nicely): "I don't believe we have any at the moment; as you know, production is restricted."
Client: "But I have five! Five Hermeez Kellys."
SA (still nicely): "Congratulations, Madame."

I'm pretty sure I know who this is. Wife of a billionaire entertainment scion....at least, heard the same story about her. I've seen her at both SCP and BH.

Back to exact topic, this exchange happened at BH recently:

Client to SA (haughtily): "I want a Kelly."
SA (nicely): "I don't believe we have any at the moment; as you know, production is restricted."
Client: "But I have five! Five Hermeez Kellys."
SA (still nicely): "Congratulations, Madame."
Brilliant! Still laughing 10 minutes later. :lol:

Seeing these stories strikes a chord... about a year into the pandemic I was kept waiting about half an hour into my appointment as my SA had been asked to help last minute with two walk-in tourists.

When she ushered them out and turned to greet me waiting at the side of the entrance, one of them pointed to my etoupe Lindy 26 and said to her (in a different language from English) in a loud accusing voice, 'You claimed you didn't have any of these in stock! Why does she get to have one?!'

I replied in the same language, 'Because I bought mine in Scotland in 2019.'

Seeing these stories strikes a chord... about a year into the pandemic I was kept waiting about half an hour into my appointment as my SA had been asked to help last minute with two walk-in tourists.

When she ushered them out and turned to greet me waiting at the side of the entrance, one of them pointed to my etoupe Lindy 26 and said to her (in a different language from English) in a loud accusing voice, 'You claimed you didn't have any of these in stock! Why does she get to have one?!'

I replied in the same language, 'Because I bought mine in Scotland in 2019.'
Did you offer to sell her yours at the current retail price (hence making profits) if she is so desperate and rude to get one?

Does overheard at Hermes Sale count for this thread?
If stories from the sales count, I'm pretty sure many members here could write entire novels. The Paris sales years ago were almost pandemonium.

The most recent "wild" story from the sales that I've experienced was a family that had apparently just grabbed a bunch of items before getting into the very long line without deciding whether they were worth it or not. They initially tried to off-load shoes and RTW on other people in the line. That strategy didn't work of course, so they just ended up leaving a trail of unwanted items... Not really rude or inconvenient to other people other than the sales assistants at the sales, but still.

was the well known client/celebrity named? Lol sorry I live for this stuff:yucky:
For your enjoyment, @hermesgeek

One of the SAs told me about the wife of a politician coming into the boutique with much fanfare some years ago. She was married to a top-ranking government official in the neighbouring country, and infamous for her ginormous collection of Bs. IIRC when she was asked how she could afford all the Bs, she simpered that she started saving for them at a young age :rolleyes: Anyway, she walked in and her bodyguards promptly barred the doors to prevent other customers from entering. She tried on some RTW, then demanded that they get her a B. The SA said they told her that they had no stock and she left disgruntled.

The other day a lady ran over to me as I was at the checkout, clearly in the middle of paying
She said something to me in a foreign language, to which I responded "Sorry I don't speak your language"
And then she said in perfectly normal English "I love your bag! I want the same one - is this a Kelly 26 or 30?"
Me: "It's a 25"

TBH the bag sizes are confusing I admit (esp bc they discontinue some) but I would hope you would know the size name of the Kelly you want if you're willing to shell out 4-5 figures!

Last edited:
For your enjoyment, @hermesgeek

One of the SAs told me about the wife of a politician coming into the boutique with much fanfare some years ago. She was married to a top-ranking government official in the neighbouring country, and infamous for her ginormous collection of Bs. IIRC when she was asked how she could afford all the Bs, she simpered that she started saving for them at a young age :rolleyes: Anyway, she walked in and her bodyguards promptly barred the doors to prevent other customers from entering. She tried on some RTW, then demanded that they get her a B. The SA said they told her that they had no stock and she left disgruntled.

so sweet of you to think of me! These keeps me thriving lol thanks so much!

The other day a lady ran over to me as I was at the checkout, clearly in the middle of paying
She said something to me in a foreign language, to which I responded "Sorry I don't speak your language"
And then she said in perfectly normal English "I love your bag! I want the same one - is this a Kelly 26 or 30?"

TBH the bag sizes are confusing I admit (esp bc they discontinue some) but I would hope you would know the size name of the Kelly you want if you're willing to shell out 4-5 figures!
It was kind of you to give the lady info about your bag, but I imagine tons of people who admire and desire H bags don't have the knowledge people here have. And the stores/SAs aren't especially helpful in spending time explaining the various bags to would-be buyers.

Haha, awww, that's kind of cute of her. Tbh I would be a little taken a back at first, but then take it as a pleasant surprise, since most people in public don't show their enthusiasm for bags in front of others. :P :biggrin: