Overheard Handbag Conversations

knasarae

The K Is Silent
O.G.
Apr 23, 2007
So once again I have lost the love of my life to the NFL. :sad: It's nothing I'm not used to and it gives me time to spend at the mall by myself without feeling rushed. I can easily spend several hours just walking around, browsing different styles and trying things on. And with BF heavily enthralled in game after game he hardly notices I am gone, lol.

So today was great. Lots of sales and I found a few really good deals. While walking though JC Penney I noticed some bags in an ombre patent design in several colors. I picked out a small bag style and the sale brought the price to under $30, which was more than reasonable for the purpose it would serve in my large collection.

Conversation #1: While deciding on a color, a girl in her late teens walked up behind me. She grabbed a large tote version in ombre purple (which was really cute!) and tried it on in the mirror. While she was doing this her BF went over to the chart that tells you the sale price. He says "So it's gonna be $35." Her response was "Are you kidding me? For that price I'll just go buy a Coach." Now, correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't purchased a Coach in several years but unless you find some rare steal at the outlet I doubt you can get a large Coach tote for $35. She was carrying a no name canvas tote. It made me wonder if she owns any Coaches or has even paid attention to the prices? I just chuckled to myself and went on about my business.

Conversation #2: An older woman and her husband are browsing through the handbag session. The husband says to his wife "Honey, this purse is $128 on sale, so it must be a really, really nice bag!" She responds "But it's ugly" lmao!!! I felt like telling him price doesn't always dictate style or quality but he was old enough to be my father and probably didn't want a lecture from a complete stranger. Once again I just chuckled to myself.

So have you guys ever overheard any interesting handbags convos while out and about? Do share!

Conversation #1: While deciding on a color, a girl in her late teens walked up behind me. She grabbed a large tote version in ombre purple (which was really cute!) and tried it on in the mirror. While she was doing this her BF went over to the chart that tells you the sale price. He says "So it's gonna be $35." Her response was "Are you kidding me? For that price I'll just go buy a Coach." Now, correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't purchased a Coach in several years but unless you find some rare steal at the outlet I doubt you can get a large Coach tote for $35. She was carrying a no name canvas tote. It made me wonder if she owns any Coaches or has even paid attention to the prices? I just chuckled to myself and went on about my business.

She probably gets her "Coach" bags at fake purse parties or buys designer inspired "Goach's" ... :P

Hope this counts...I read an online review left buy a customer about one of the designer "for Target" handbags. The customer had complaints about the quality of the bag. "This is unacceptable for a $40 bag" she wrote.

LOL, its so interesting to hear different people's views on bags. I know some people think $40 is expensive for a bag. I'd hate for them to see my bags. :wtf:

I guess noone told her that Coach's cost more than that.
I heard one the other day while out shopping.
A lady complmented me on my Authentic Coach, and asked where I got it from. I told her, and she thanked me, but then told me that it was impossible because they do not carry Coach only replicas. I explained that they do ( it was Dillards) and she walked off. SHe told her husband that I could not deal with having bought a Coach that was not real when she got a steal on one, at get this, a beauty supply store that is known around here for selling fakes. I walked off shaking my head as her strap seemed to have come undone and she stated that she would have to send it back to Coach to have it repared.
Another one was when I was buying my curret Carley and a lady was asking another how she could justify spending so much on her bag, the 1st lady told her, "ask your son he told me to buy a new one". It was rather funny as the 2nd lady seemed rather rude to the 1st one...

Lol, that second convo was hilarious.

As for the "Coach" lady....I feel bad that she's so ignorant to her obvious fake. Does she really think an upstanding department store like Dillard's would sell fake bags??? I feel bad for her when she tries to get Coach to repair her bag. She's in for a rude awakening.

I was in a Brighton store when a woman came in hollering that they had to repair her bag strap because she had paid 50 dollars for the bag. The sales associate took one look, took the woman off to the side and told her that her bag was not real Brighton. She declared the associate "crazy" but left immediately.

And there's nothing like looking at bags in TJMaxx and having some woman laugh out loud and remark in amusement that someone would pay $100 for any handbag. The last time I heard such was from a woman wearing a ratty ripstop nylon fanny pack.

It is just interesting the perspective of different people on price. I am not so sure that 10 years ago I wouldn't have thought $40 was a lot to spend on a bag, but years of looking at different bags puts things in a whole different light. It is kind of like when my mom decided she wanted diamond earrings and she was floored when she looked at the prices of the size she wanted. A year later, after browsing every store around, she found a pair at more than the original prices she saw, bought them and declared that she had found a "great deal". What a difference a year made!

lol some people have much different ideas about what is expensive! but haha pinkshoulders. i cant believe that lady wouldnt believe the SA. they CLEARLY know more than her bout real bags lol

Having worked at Coach years ago, it's always amazing to me that people come in with a fake Coach bag and expect to return it. One lady had the nerve to tell the entire staff that none of us knew the difference between an authentic Coach bag and a fake. She then proceeded to call the corporate office to insist on cash back. Needless to say, she didn't get any money back.

I was sitting in the doctor's office a couple of weeks ago and a couple across from me were leafing though a Macy's catalog. (Actually only the woman was looking and her husband would just grunt as she pointed things out to him). However, when she saw a Coach bag and got all excited, her husband said in a loud voice, "Who would be crazy enough to pay $500 for a bag!! I smiled on the inside because I happened to be carrying a BV and if he knew what the retail price of that purse was, he's probably have a heart attack....Lol.

The Coach bag was actually $548!

And there's nothing like looking at bags in TJMaxx and having some woman laugh out loud and remark in amusement that someone would pay $100 for any handbag. The last time I heard such was from a woman wearing a ratty ripstop nylon fanny pack.

I think I ran into that woman the last time I was at TJMaxx. :P I was looking at a bag that was sitting on a little pedestal, a woman comes up and snatches it from under my nose. "Anyone who would pay $100 for this has to be crazy!" she cackles loudly, waving it at her daughters.